PDA

View Full Version : Backing Away From the Edge

Phantom Warrior
02-04-2018, 11:27 AM
I don't see us making the Big Dance this year, and we might not even make the NIT. We might very well will only a couple of games the rest of the season.

It is certainly frustrating. No question.

All that being said, the reality is that we lost to the #1 team in the country be three points, and Nova has a veteran team (despite having no seniors). And we lost by two to a veteran Providence team that starts three seniors who have all started for four years in Cartwright, Bullock, and Lindsey.

The other part of that reality is that three of our top seven or eight players are freshmen, and a fourth is playing his second semester of D-1 hoops. That is an awful lot of inexperience. Add Sacar to the mix, and despite being a red-shirt junior, the truth is he hardly played at all prior to this year.

During crunch time, it's a question of making the play. Nova and Providence got those plays from their vets. We didn't get quite enough plays from our freshmen and sophomores. Yesterday Markus missed a lay up by adding some unnecessary dipsy doo. Then Theo goal-tended when he certainly did not have to. Then Theo failed to grab a defensive board that the Providence player managed to tip to a teammate for another possession. And finally, Markus tried to avoid contact at the end of the game when had he gone right and dribble right at Lindsey, there would have been contact and he'd have been in double bonus.

Next year we will add a red-shirt junior who is talented, and our frosh will be sophs. Markus and Sam will be kind of lie Brunson and Bridges are for Nova in terms of experience.

For those who are ready to jump off the cliff, my guess is it will only get worse before it gets better. Seton Hall is going to be fired up to avenge their loss at the BC, and there is a veteran team: three stud seniors who have all started for four years and a fourth who is a terrific complementary player.

And St. John's is going to be no picnic. People saw what they did to Duke yesterday. Plus they are exactly the type of athletic team that can give us fits.

Yeah, it's frustrating and disappointing, but patience is a virtue. I liked a lot of what I saw yesterday. Theo and Greg are going to be very solid players for us, and so, I think, Jamal will be as well. And Morrow will be our modern-day Bob Lackey.

Nukem2
02-04-2018, 01:23 PM
Sacar is a redshirt sophomore

MulliganMusings
02-06-2018, 06:48 AM
I don't see us making the Big Dance this year, and we might not even make the NIT. We might very well will only a couple of games the rest of the season.

It is certainly frustrating. No question.

All that being said, the reality is that we lost to the #1 team in the country be three points, and Nova has a veteran team (despite having no seniors). And we lost by two to a veteran Providence team that starts three seniors who have all started for four years in Cartwright, Bullock, and Lindsey.

The other part of that reality is that three of our top seven or eight players are freshmen, and a fourth is playing his second semester of D-1 hoops. That is an awful lot of inexperience. Add Sacar to the mix, and despite being a red-shirt junior, the truth is he hardly played at all prior to this year.

During crunch time, it's a question of making the play. Nova and Providence got those plays from their vets. We didn't get quite enough plays from our freshmen and sophomores. Yesterday Markus missed a lay up by adding some unnecessary dipsy doo. Then Theo goal-tended when he certainly did not have to. Then Theo failed to grab a defensive board that the Providence player managed to tip to a teammate for another possession. And finally, Markus tried to avoid contact at the end of the game when had he gone right and dribble right at Lindsey, there would have been contact and he'd have been in double bonus.

Next year we will add a red-shirt junior who is talented, and our frosh will be sophs. Markus and Sam will be kind of lie Brunson and Bridges are for Nova in terms of experience.

For those who are ready to jump off the cliff, my guess is it will only get worse before it gets better. Seton Hall is going to be fired up to avenge their loss at the BC, and there is a veteran team: three stud seniors who have all started for four years and a fourth who is a terrific complementary player.

And St. John's is going to be no picnic. People saw what they did to Duke yesterday. Plus they are exactly the type of athletic team that can give us fits.

Yeah, it's frustrating and disappointing, but patience is a virtue. I liked a lot of what I saw yesterday. Theo and Greg are going to be very solid players for us, and so, I think, Jamal will be as well. And Morrow will be our modern-day Bob Lackey.

What he said. I've seen a lot of snarky comments about Wojo usually from those with little or no perspective. Take a look at Coach K's record after 5 years and recall what existed what Wojo took the helm. The future is very bright IMHO and while this year has been challenging it's important to remember that we are the youngest team in the conference, a conference that as Phantom points out, features a number of highly experience (not to mention talented) teams.