PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Lid Lifter

IrwinFletcher
01-21-2018, 08:45 AM
There has been some discussion about the opener at the new stadium next November and whether MU and Wojo will do something pretty special in terms of opponent.

I would love it if he reaches out to Coach K and has Duke come in for a one time event. Doesn’t have to be a home and home, though that would be great as well.

With Duke now having one of the greatest recruiting classes in many years, they will come in with a ton of hype and likely a Top 5 ranking. MU may not have a great ranking to start the year, but we will have a ton of talent, depth and most importantly experience.

Duke may not be in sync yet with 5 new starters and still trying to get their chemistry going much like Kentucky is experiencing this season.

So we would be in position to have a ton of exposure as it would be Duke’s recruiting class’ first game, first game at a new stadium, first game of Wojo vs Coach K and quite possibly, a big win for our program leading off what should be a great season.

Nukem2
01-21-2018, 10:42 AM
Coach K does not schedule games against former assistants.

Gato78
01-21-2018, 11:55 AM
My bets are either Bucky, ND or Oregon. We would have to pay ND so not likely though we have some good connections there. Might make some sense for Bucky to solidify its relationships with the Bucks, area alums and recruits. Oregon and MU have connections and we are Nike.

Nukem2
01-21-2018, 02:03 PM
My bets are either Bucky, ND or Oregon. We would have to pay ND so not likely though we have some good connections there. Might make some sense for Bucky to solidify its relationships with the Bucks, area alums and recruits. Oregon and MU have connections and we are Nike.
No Bucky, please. We don’t need a sea of red for the lid lifter! :(

IrwinFletcher
01-21-2018, 03:03 PM

Not sure why we would do something to help Bucky. Screw them. Let them dig their own grave. Oregon doesn’t seem to be that big of a profile game. I’m just trying to think big and make this a big event. Oregon doesn’t move the needle.

Gato78
01-21-2018, 03:58 PM
Unless we are paying some big name to come in, what are we going to get?

CaribouJim
01-21-2018, 04:27 PM
Coach K does not schedule games against former assistants.

Which is so lame. Another example of coaches being drama queens at times. I remember folks saying TC wouldn't go to the Big 10 because he wouldn't want to go against his friend and mentor at least twice a year. They went against each other in the NCAA's as well and they seem to still be pals.

Maybe Coach K can make an exception.

CaribouJim
01-21-2018, 04:29 PM

Maybe Gonzaga? Home and home?

Go Jags!!!! It's about time the pretty boy goes down although they'll manage to come back some how.

IrwinFletcher
01-21-2018, 06:02 PM

I get that some coaches will not play their former assistants. That is hardly a Coach K thing.

My point was if Marquette does in fact want to make this a big deal (and they may in fact not) would Wojo talk with Coach K and ask him if he might be willing to do it as it would be a big event.

Maybe Coach K says no. Maybe Wojo doesn’t even pick up the phone. But worth a try.

I believe that we are looking at a very promising period of Basketball with MU. In order to elevate your program, winning is the most important thing (especially in the tourney) but having this big games is important as well. Just thought it would promote the program as well as giving us a chance at a marquis victory.

Nukem2
01-21-2018, 06:50 PM
Maybe Gonzaga? Home and home?

Go Jags!!!! It's about time the pretty boy goes down although they'll manage to come back some how.
Now we’re talking. Good prelude for the Zags and MU to see how a BE marriage might work out.

Gato78
01-21-2018, 07:07 PM
The problem is getting a school to come in for the first game of the season in a hostile environment and probably take a loss. Who would be willing to do that absent unique circumstances or a lot of money? I am willing to bet we start against a cream puff and knowing we are recruiting Baldwin's kid, UWM makes some sense.

Nukem2
01-21-2018, 07:31 PM
The problem is getting a school to come in for the first game of the season in a hostile environment and probably take a loss. Who would be willing to do that absent unique circumstances or a lot of money? I am willing to bet we start against a cream puff and knowing we are recruiting Baldwin's kid, UWM makes some sense.
I doubt it would make any difference of the recruitment of Baldwin Jr. Move on to something better.

Gato78
01-21-2018, 08:49 PM
Not necessarily about the recruitment, it is about the relationships.

IrwinFletcher
01-21-2018, 09:11 PM

I agree with you and that is why we can likely rule out the MSU, Arizona or Kentucky, unless they ware willing to do a home and home.

So Who would be willing to do it? The Teacher helping out his student who called and asked for a favor.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
01-22-2018, 06:38 AM
I think we can rule Duke, Kentucky, Michigan State, and Kansas all out. The Champions Classic is on November 6 with Duke vs Kentucky and Michigan State vs Kansas. I'm sure that Marquette will be playing that night, so unless we do a neutral or road opener, it has to be someone other than those four.

Nukem2
01-22-2018, 07:49 AM
Not necessarily about the recruitment, it is about the relationships.That goes rather hand-in-hand.........

CaribouJim
01-22-2018, 08:31 AM
I think we can rule Duke, Kentucky, Michigan State, and Kansas all out. The Champions Classic is on November 6 with Duke vs Kentucky and Michigan State vs Kansas. I'm sure that Marquette will be playing that night, so unless we do a neutral or road opener, it has to be someone other than those four.

Let's go head to head w/ the 1%ers and host a double header that same night - Nova vs Zona in the opener and MU vs the UCLANS in nightcap - MU agrees to play @ UCLA the next season.

I know, we'd get slammed in the ratings, but maybe hold it the next night or something. Just a thought.

unclejohn
01-23-2018, 09:30 AM
UWM is always harping for a game. This is a new arena in Milwaukee and an asset to the city. The argument has been made that having the two teams in the same city playing one another just makes sense. So here is a game that would make sense. For Marquette, it would be a guarantee game. For UWM, it would be a chance to make a few bucks without having to leave town and a chance for some favorable publicity.