PDA

View Full Version : Big East Schedule coming out on Tuesday!?!

MU/Panther
09-11-2017, 11:34 AM
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/907252958475243520

MU/Panther
09-11-2017, 11:34 AM
Some guesses to non-conference games on TV.
http://mattsarzsports.blogspot.com/2017/09/pre-schedule-release-notes-from-big.html

MU/Panther
09-11-2017, 09:06 PM
What you've all been waiting for!

#BIGEASThoops schedule drops tomorrow.

Tune in for a special episode of #BEshootaround at 10:50 am CT!

On FOX Sports Go

MU/Panther
09-12-2017, 11:12 AM
http://www.bigeast.com/documents/2017/9/12//Schedule_Only_2017_18.pdf?id=5773

MU/Panther
09-12-2017, 11:29 AM
http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/091217aaa.html

Nukem2
09-12-2017, 12:19 PM
Lots of odd times for games this year.

MU/Panther
09-12-2017, 12:30 PM
Lots of odd times for games this year. That what happens when national TV controls your times.

Nukem2
09-12-2017, 12:42 PM
That what happens when national TV controls your times.
Understand that, but the times are still weird. Also weird is having 4 conference games in a row on FS-Wisconsin.

MUBasketball
09-12-2017, 12:46 PM
A few quick, pointless observations on the schedule after a quick glance:

- Lucked out again having Senior Day be on a Saturday - especially considering the first two conference games are at home. Was expecting the last conference game of the year on Mar 3rd to be a road game.
- Will conclude the regular season for the 2nd straight year at home with Creighton.
- Lots of start times at half past the hour.
- The Big East will again be playing games on MLK Day (Mon, Jan 15) but it won't be all 10 teams. Only two games scheduled that day (Butler @ Prov and DePaul & MU).
- MU has a stretch of 3 straight road games (@ Seton Hall, @ St. John's, @ Creighton) and 3 straight home games (Villanova, Butler, Providence).
- Two long layoffs in the conference schedule -- 9 day break between DePaul and @ Xavier and a 7 day break between @ St. John's and @ Creighton
- Awesome that the DePaul road game is on the weekend. More opportunity for fans to get down to Chicago and cheer on the squad to victory at the new Wintrust Arena.
- Sunday, Jan 28th on big Fox vs. 'Nova. Nice! And that's the weekend break for the NFL before the Super Bowl so no potential conflict with a Packer playoff game.

mufan2003
09-12-2017, 01:32 PM
MU will be tested right away. 4 of the first 5 conference games are against Xavier, Providence, Villanova and Seton Hall. I would bet those teams will be the top 4 voted by the coaches at Media Day.

Interesting that the Saturday night game @Creighton tips at 9pm, figured 8pm would be the latest tip time , seeing that it is not part of an all-day Big East marathon. Talk about great exposure for a program, even the exhibition game is televised.

Nukem2
09-12-2017, 01:39 PM
MU will be tested right away. 4 of the first 5 conference games are against Xavier, Providence, Villanova and Seton Hall. I would bet those teams will be the top 4 voted by the coaches at Media Day.

Interesting that the Saturday night game @Creighton tips at 9pm, figured 8pm would be the latest tip time , seeing that it is not part of an all-day Big East marathon. Talk about great exposure for a program, even the exhibition game is televised.
Exhibition game is on local TV (Spectrum ).

mufan2003
09-12-2017, 01:49 PM
Exhibition game is on local TV (Spectrum ).

Correct, which is why I stated "televised" and not "nationally or regionally televised."

mufan2003
09-12-2017, 01:54 PM
A few quick, pointless observations on the schedule after a quick glance:

- Lucked out again having Senior Day be on a Saturday - especially considering the first two conference games are at home. Was expecting the last conference game of the year on Mar 3rd to be a road game.
- Will conclude the regular season for the 2nd straight year at home with Creighton.
- Lots of start times at half past the hour.
- The Big East will again be playing games on MLK Day (Mon, Jan 15) but it won't be all 10 teams. Only two games scheduled that day (Butler @ Prov and DePaul & MU).
- MU has a stretch of 3 straight road games (@ Seton Hall, @ St. John's, @ Creighton) and 3 straight home games (Villanova, Butler, Providence).
- Two long layoffs in the conference schedule -- 9 day break between DePaul and @ Xavier and a 7 day break between @ St. John's and @ Creighton
- Awesome that the DePaul road game is on the weekend. More opportunity for fans to get down to Chicago and cheer on the squad to victory at the new Wintrust Arena.
- Sunday, Jan 28th on big Fox vs. 'Nova. Nice! And that's the weekend break for the NFL before the Super Bowl so no potential conflict with a Packer playoff game.

I am surprised the Saturday, January 6th, game @Nova is a 7pm tip. That is the first weekend of the NFL playoffs and there always is a game Saturday night.

Nukem2
09-12-2017, 02:51 PM
Not conference schedule here, but look at G-Town's NC schedule other than a home game against Syracuse:

Jacksonville
Mount St. Mary's
UMES
Richmond
Maine
Coppin State
Howard
North Carolina A&T
North Texas
Alabama A&M

The wolves are howling!

MU/Panther
09-12-2017, 03:24 PM
Understand that, but the times are still weird. Also weird is having 4 conference games in a row on FS-Wisconsin. Daytona 500 programming on FS1

MUWhistler
09-12-2017, 03:25 PM
National MU Day game is an afternoon game. That's a bummer. Last year was a Saturday night game and was quite fun as the whole campus was one big party all afternoon long before the game. (It didn't hurt that it was close to 70 degrees in February that day!)

MU/Panther
09-12-2017, 03:26 PM
- Sunday, Jan 28th on big Fox vs. 'Nova. Nice! And that's the weekend break for the NFL before the Super Bowl so no potential conflict with a Packer playoff game. Followed by Purdue at Indiana that day on FOX.

MU/Panther
09-12-2017, 03:29 PM
I am surprised the Saturday, January 6th, game @Nova is a 7pm tip. That is the first weekend of the NFL playoffs and there always is a game Saturday night.
College basketball games are still on when the NFL playoffs are going.

warriorfan4life
09-12-2017, 08:27 PM
Not conference schedule here, but look at G-Town's NC schedule other than a home game against Syracuse:

Jacksonville
Mount St. Mary's
UMES
Richmond
Maine
Coppin State
Howard
North Carolina A&T
North Texas
Alabama A&M

The wolves are howling!

That is effing atrocious and a slap in the face to the rest of the conference members. Hope they go 0-18 in conference play.

AlexJesswein
09-12-2017, 08:57 PM
That is effing atrocious and a slap in the face to the rest of the conference members. Hope they go 0-18 in conference play.

https://twitter.com/PaintTouches/status/907652481823526914

mufan2003
09-12-2017, 10:10 PM
College basketball games are still on when the NFL playoffs are going.

True. Thought FS1 would try to have most tip times before the first NFL playoff game kicks off (3:30pm). Similar to how they avoid the college football playoffs. I assume for most people, between sports bars or an old fashioned cable splitter, having an eye on more than one game at a time is certainly not an issue.

MUWhistler
09-12-2017, 10:11 PM
https://twitter.com/PaintTouches/status/907652481823526914

Seriously. What is their point in doing that post???

IWB
09-13-2017, 07:59 AM
New York Post not shy about it: http://nypost.com/2017/09/12/patrick-ewings-first-georgetown-schedule-is-a-joke/

MU/Panther
09-13-2017, 08:46 AM
True. Thought FS1 would try to have most tip times before the first NFL playoff game kicks off (3:30pm). Similar to how they avoid the college football playoffs. I assume for most people, between sports bars or an old fashioned cable splitter, having an eye on more than one game at a time is certainly not an issue. I hear you, but the MLB Playoffs can't avoid the NFL. If everyone didn't play when the NFL was going on, we couldn't get the games in.
It's a Saturday and it looks like the ESPN family of networks has a full slate of college basketball games as well. It would be poor of FS1 to be dark with no live events on a Saturday, just because the NFL playoffs are going on.

I'm sure the opening on FS1 that Saturday night for Marquette to play at Villanova is caused by the UFC not having an event to avoid the NFL playoffs.

MayorBeluga
09-13-2017, 10:59 AM
Seriously. What is their point in doing that post???

It's Paint Touches. They seem to pride themselves on being jagoffs about the program they purport to cover.

MUFAN2010
09-13-2017, 12:18 PM
It's Paint Touches. They seem to pride themselves on being jagoffs about the program they purport to cover.

How by pointing out that MU had a similar schedule in 2014 is that being jagoffs?

TheSultan
09-13-2017, 01:26 PM
At least Wojo didn't withdraw from the exempt tournament.

mufan2003
09-13-2017, 01:34 PM
I hear you, but the MLB Playoffs can't avoid the NFL. If everyone didn't play when the NFL was going on, we couldn't get the games in.
It's a Saturday and it looks like the ESPN family of networks has a full slate of college basketball games as well. It would be poor of FS1 to be dark with no live events on a Saturday, just because the NFL playoffs are going on.

I'm sure the opening on FS1 that Saturday night for Marquette to play at Villanova is caused by the UFC not having an event to avoid the NFL playoffs.

I am talking NFL playoffs, not regular season NFL games. Similar to how the Big East has avoided the college football playoffs. The NFL only has playoff games on 2 Saturdays (January 6 and January 13). With kickoffs at approximately 3:30pm and 7:00pm. I was just surprised that FS1 would not want most tip times at 11am, 12pm or even 1:30pm, to have the games played before the NFL kicked off. Not that Saturday should be entirely avoided. Anyway, I think your last sentence is probably correct. If there is no UFC that Saturday night, they have a programming need to fill.

Nukem2
09-13-2017, 01:35 PM
MU did play Ohio State, Georgia Tech, Michigan St., Wisconsin and Arizona St. in 2014. G-Town has nothing outside of Syracuse (which is hampered by various departures this season). The rest is really awful. Richmond and Mt. St. Mary's were hard hit by graduation and/or transfer. Woof woof.

mufan2003
09-13-2017, 01:44 PM
New York Post not shy about it: http://nypost.com/2017/09/12/patrick-ewings-first-georgetown-schedule-is-a-joke/

Already struggling with attendance, their non-conference turnout is going to be scary. They might give DePaul a run for their money.

Markedman
09-13-2017, 05:35 PM
But at least they will win some games!

MulliganMusings
09-14-2017, 07:00 AM

They are one of a number of #mubb observers who while often producing interesting and useful information also engage in a level of snark that seems to appeal to a certain audience segment. I find it off putting but I wouldn't be part of the audience to whom they are appealing.

Phantom Warrior
09-14-2017, 07:50 AM
The Hoyas' present plight illustrates how quickly a program can nose dive. It happened to us a few years ago after Buzz left the proverbial cupboard close to bare. But we got lucky and made a great hire to lead the program, so we were only on the trash heap for Buzz's last year and Wojo's first before beginning the climb back to respectability. Whether or not Georgetown and Ewing can do the same remains to be seen.

The first step is to recruit talented players around whom to build - players like Henry, Haanif, Markus, and Sam. The second step is to create a culture that is based on an outstanding work ethic and positive chemistry. The third step is to be able to actually coach which includes game preparation, in-game adjustments, and player development.

MUBasketball
09-14-2017, 03:47 PM
Random schedule observation that has nothing to do with the Big East.

So, MU opens the Maui Invitational with VCU on Monday morning, Nov. 20th. VCU has a huge home game with Virginia on Friday, Nov. 17th. The time is listed TBA but since it's a Friday I think it's safe to assume that will be a night game. So they'll spend most of the day Saturday traveling to Hawaii. One day to rest up, then Monday bright and early tipping off. That's a tough turnaround.