PDA

View Full Version : OT - Sixty Four Best Sports Books of All-Time

CaribouJim
09-06-2017, 04:20 PM
http://www.mensjournal.com/sports/collections/the-64-best-sports-books-of-all-time-w500930

I've only read 4 - Ball Four...Boys of Summer...Season on the Brink...Out of their League

Surprised that Instant Replay and Foul (story of my all-time favorite NBA player Connie Hawkins) did not make the list. Both, along with Ball Four were the first adult sports books I read. Loved Instant Replay even though I'm not a Packer fan.

Phantom Warrior
09-06-2017, 05:24 PM
I think it's incredible that "The Natural" isn't on this list. Malamud's novel is a classic.

Markedman
09-07-2017, 10:53 AM
I can definitely recommend "A good walk spoiled" for any golfers out there. Great read

TheSultan
09-07-2017, 12:20 PM
"The Boys in the Boat" by Daniel James Brown. About the University of Washington's crew team and their participation in the 1936 Berlin Olympics.

MayorBeluga
09-07-2017, 06:23 PM
Caribou reading adult books? Do we question whether he reads books without pictures? Or are his adult books full of pictures?

So many questions...

CaribouJim
09-08-2017, 09:23 AM
"The Boys in the Boat" by Daniel James Brown. About the University of Washington's crew team and their participation in the 1936 Berlin Olympics.

...and PBS had a great doc on it as well - they repeated it recently. Great story.

CaribouJim
09-08-2017, 09:49 AM
Caribou reading adult books? Do we question whether he reads books without pictures? Or are his adult books full of pictures?

So many questions...

Way back when it was mostly Chip Hilton, Hardy Boys and those paper back Scholastic Books sports bios that I ordered monthly at school, before my fifth grade teacher, Miss Maccallini, advised me to mix it up a bit.

Chip Hilton and Hardy Boys had a handful of sketches so far from "full of pics" and not of the "adult" nature. My mother "edited" the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issues so if I got caught with "adult" material I'd be dead and anyway, Chipper Parks up the street - a couple years older than me and my buddies - was the purveyor of "adult" material in our neighborhood. Always assumed he would end up in Attica, but ended up being filthy rich.