PDA

View Full Version : Any Buycks news?

MU Viking
08-11-2017, 01:28 PM
It's been great to see Vander and Jamil get some strong glimmers of hope in making an NBA roster this upcoming year. About a month ago, we heard that the Knicks were interested in signing Buycks and he cut off his negotiations with Olympiakos as a result. Haven't heard much sense. Has anyone seen anything on the Buycks front? Would love to see him get a roster spot this year and I feel like he is deserving.

mufan2003
08-11-2017, 05:24 PM
It's been great to see Vander and Jamil get some strong glimmers of hope in making an NBA roster this upcoming year. About a month ago, we heard that the Knicks were interested in signing Buycks and he cut off his negotiations with Olympiakos as a result. Haven't heard much sense. Has anyone seen anything on the Buycks front? Would love to see him get a roster spot this year and I feel like he is deserving.

Nothing official. Yes, the Knicks were reportedly interested after his great performance in the Orlando Summer League.

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nba/1923/dwight-buycks

IWB
08-14-2017, 08:24 AM
Heard from Buycks yesterday. He and his wife are in Jamaica celebrating their 2nd anniversary. There continues to be a lot of talk, but nothing done yet. Trying to be patient.

Markedman
08-29-2017, 06:53 PM
https://twitter.com/hoopsrumors/status/902675178999701504

Phantom Warrior
08-29-2017, 11:34 PM
So, former MU players with an NBA contract of some sort: Wade, Matthews, Butler, Crowder, Blue, Wilson, and Buycks. I wonder if DB's contract is like JW's - a two-way contract - or more similar to VB's.

Have to admit, I thought both Jerel and DJ-O had a chance - however unlikely - to earn a contract this year.

TedBaxter
08-30-2017, 12:06 AM
So, former MU players with an NBA contract of some sort: Wade, Matthews, Butler, Crowder, Blue, Wilson, and Buycks. I wonder if DB's contract is like JW's - a two-way contract - or more similar to VB's.

Have to admit, I thought both Jerel and DJ-O had a chance - however unlikely - to earn a contract this year.

You forgot Ellenson and the Tweet said it was a two way contract.

Phantom Warrior
08-30-2017, 07:00 AM
Yeah, forgot about HE. Didn't see the "two-way" part. Well, that's a whole lot better than no NBA contract at all.

TheSultan
08-30-2017, 09:40 AM
Yeah, forgot about HE. Didn't see the "two-way" part. Well, that's a whole lot better than no NBA contract at all.

Well it may end up being "no NBA contract." There is no guaranty to spend any time on an NBA roster on a two way contract.

2012Warrior
08-30-2017, 11:35 AM
Why is Buycks eligible for a 2 way and not Vander? Is it because Vander played more seasons in the G League? I thought it was based on years out of school.

Nukem2
08-30-2017, 11:56 AM
Why is Buycks eligible for a 2 way and not Vander? Is it because Vander played more seasons in the G League? I thought it was based on years out of school.It may be more about past NBA experience. Confusing.

TheSultan
08-30-2017, 12:04 PM
Why is Buycks eligible for a 2 way and not Vander? Is it because Vander played more seasons in the G League? I thought it was based on years out of school.

I think we were wrong with Vander.

https://2ways10days.com/nba-two-way-contracts-faq-70d1c9cbbe9

"Which players are eligible for a two-way contract?

Any player with three years or fewer of NBA service.

Years of service is the important denominator. Players who have participated in an NBA training camp, but were later waived have not accrued any years of service. Players who have been out of the NCAA ranks for three or more years, but have accrued less than three years of NBA service would also be eligible."

Vander has two years of NBA service having been on a roster in 2013-14 and 2014-15. Ditto for Dwight. Vander may not have wanted a two-way contract. Here's an article that explains why.

https://www.fanragsports.com/nba/2-way-contract-details-spell-advantages-nba-teams-prospects/

1. A player under a two-way contract can only spend up to 45 days on an NBA roster per year.

2. The player loses the flexibility to sign with another team.

My guess is that Vander wants more than 45 days, AND if he is back on the Dfenders, would rather have the flexibility to sign elsewhere. The fact that he was given a $50,000 signing bonus, which is (I think) the difference between a G-League minimum and a two-way minimum, means that the only money he is putting at risk is the 45 days he could have spent on an NBA roster making the minimum.