PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Butler

mufan2003
06-19-2017, 03:10 PM
"The drumbeat has gotten louder in recent days that the Celtics are zeroing in on Chicago Bulls All-Star guard Jimmy Butler, whom they inquired about at the trade deadline, and are ready to cash in a good chunk of their cache of future Draft picks to go get him."

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/06/19/morning-tip-assessing-state-land-2017-draft-sixers-celtics-lakers

Goose85
06-19-2017, 04:00 PM
If you are the Bulls, what would you need from the Celtics to trade them Butler?

Nukem2
06-19-2017, 04:05 PM
If you are the Bulls, what would you need from the Celtics to trade them Butler?
A couple of those first round draft picks and throw in Crowder.

mufan2003
06-19-2017, 08:03 PM
A couple of those first round draft picks and throw in Crowder.

Agreed. Multiple 1st-round picks and Crowder or Bradley.

IrwinFletcher
06-19-2017, 08:28 PM
The #3 pick this year and Brooklyn's first rounder next year should do it. Don't think they will get another player and doubt Boston wants to give up Crowder.

pbiflyer
06-19-2017, 11:24 PM
Rumor has it that the Cavs are trying to work a trade for JB.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
06-19-2017, 11:47 PM
Rumor has it that the Cavs are trying to work a trade for JB.

For what? I can't think of a single asset they have that would get them Butler. If I'm the Bulls, I'd pass on Love, and doubt Irving is on the table.

2012Warrior
06-20-2017, 08:10 AM
For what? I can't think of a single asset they have that would get them Butler. If I'm the Bulls, I'd pass on Love, and doubt Irving is on the table.

The rumor is they are getting a third team involved.

DCwarrior
06-20-2017, 10:30 AM
The rumor is they are getting a third team involved.

The rumor is the Bulls get Eric Bledsoe and the Suns #4 pick in this year's draft; The Suns get Kevin Love; and the Cavs get Butler. I'm sure Cleveland will have to throw in a 1st rounder to one or both of the teams as well.

mufan2003
06-20-2017, 02:48 PM
http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/sources-out-of-cleveland-say-jimmy-butler-will-push-for-trade-to-cavs/

TheSultan
06-20-2017, 02:54 PM
I think from the Cavs perspective, this is completely about matching up better with Golden State.

IrwinFletcher
06-20-2017, 04:55 PM
There are also rumors out there that Kyrie might be jumping if he feels that Lebron won't stick around after next year. He could possibly head to the bulls and pair with Jimmy and Wade, though that still woldn't be much more than a 50-52 win team.

Bulls FO is not very good at what they do, and the best thing to do is to trade Jimmy right now while he is healthy and at his peak value. Getting two picks from Boston is the best route, and maybe they can play the Cleveland rumors off of Boston to get the best value.

mufan2003
06-22-2017, 12:12 PM
Not happening for Cleveland. Boston may not be willing to give up as many picks as Chicago is demanding. Also, Boston may think they can make a run at LeBron or Paul George next summer.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Windy on George/Butler: &quot;Nope. Not happening. The Cavs were not generating enough trade interest in Kevin Love.&quot;</p>&mdash; ESPN Cleveland (@ESPNCleveland) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNCleveland/status/877913478333321216">June 22, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

CaribouJim
06-22-2017, 06:53 PM
Jimmy to the T-Wolves...

mufan2003
06-22-2017, 07:30 PM
Jimmy to the T-Wolves...

I think this deal favors Minnesota. Wiggins, Anthony-Towns and now Butler. Minnesota also gets Chicago's 16th pick.

IrwinFletcher
06-22-2017, 07:39 PM
It does favor Minnesota, but in the long run, it helps the Bulls. If Chicago kept Butler and the 16th pick, they would win 40-45 games again and pick again around 15-18. Draft a role player and win 40-45 games again. Then have to pay Butler a max salary when he is on the downside of his career and have little to nothing to show for his tenure here.

Bulls get some young talent, will suck next season and have a Top 5 pick to draft someone to build around and begin the rebuild process.

mufansince72
06-22-2017, 07:43 PM
It does favor Minnesota, but in the long run, it helps the Bulls. If Chicago kept Butler and the 16th pick, they would win 40-45 games again and pick again around 15-18. Draft a role player and win 40-45 games again. Then have to pay Butler a max salary when he is on the downside of his career and have little to nothing to show for his tenure here.

Bulls get some young talent, will suck next season and have a Top 5 pick to draft someone to build around and begin the rebuild process.

The real reason the Bulls took it in the shorts in this trade is they don't want to sign Jimmy to the supermax extension he would be eligible for if he stayed with the Bulls.

mufansince72
06-22-2017, 08:37 PM
ESPN graded Minnesota an A+ and Chicago an F for this trade.

CaribouJim
06-23-2017, 09:13 AM

...and I guess DWade was vacationing overseas with JB and now DWade may now seek a buyout.

The trade with their 2nd round pick with GS for cash was kind of weird - that doesn't seem to happen too often.

They were due for a blowup the team scenario.

CaribouJim
06-23-2017, 09:14 AM

T-Wolves will be very fun to watch that is for sure. Hopefully Thibs doesn't play Jimmy 48 minutes a game.

TheSultan
06-23-2017, 10:13 AM

The problem is that while the talent is young, it isn't particularly good.

This was a bad trade. Not that moving Butler is a bad idea, but you have to get more from him than two completely unproven players and swapping a couple of draft picks.

IrwinFletcher
06-23-2017, 10:50 AM
The problem is that while the talent is young, it isn't particularly good.

This was a bad trade. Not that moving Butler is a bad idea, but you have to get more from him than two completely unproven players and swapping a couple of draft picks.

I think that your thoughts are the consensus around the league. But there wasn't anything else out there. Reports here were than Boston wasn't going to give up the #3 pick and anything else next year so there wasn't a fit. Phoenix apparently balked on trade talks when it appeared they were going to get Jackson at #4.

So the Bulls got two young players that could be busts or that could develop (who knows at this point) plus a 7 footer who can shoot. Lavine is a good shooter as well so Bulls get two guys who can shoot for a team that shot 28% from 3 last season. They also get a lot more athletic. They also get bad and that ensures at Top 7 pick at least next year. The rebuild is on...

mufan2003
07-01-2017, 02:42 PM
Jimmy is in a much better situation. Minnesota was able to trade Ricky Rubio for a 2018 first-round pick. Then upgrade the PG position by signing Jeff Teague in free agency. They are a finalist to sign Paul Millsap. A potential lineup of 1-Teague, 2-Butler, 3-Wiggins, 4-Millsap and 5-Anthony-Towns would certainly look like a top 4 seed in a tough western conference.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/7/1/15908158/paul-millsap-timberwolves-nba-free-agency-2017-jimmy-butler-jeff-teague

MU Viking
07-03-2017, 09:05 AM
Just an update on this. Millsap signed with Denver, but Minnesota signed Taj Gibson, which was a sneaky good signing. Taj really excelled under Thibs.

I've been surprised to see Minnesota fans down on the Rubio for Teague trade off. Many feel that is a downgrade. I'm not sure I agree.

1 Teague, 2 Butler, 3 Wiggins, 4 Gibson, 5 Towns sure looks like a top 4 seed in the West, as you say. But you also have to watch carefully what OKC is doing. Westbrook and George is an explosive combo. They're trying to make moves to sign Rudy Gay also and make him a stretch 4. Then you've got the Rockets getting Chris Paul and PJ Tucker to pair with Harden and others, and supposedly they are looking at trading for Carmelo Anthony.

If I'm Gordon Hayward, Boston or Miami have to look like pretty attractive options. Aside from LeBron and Giannis, who are the slam dunk starting All-Stars in the near future in the Eastern Conference? He'd basically be battling Demar Derozan for starting 2G in the All-Star game.

TheSultan
07-03-2017, 09:13 AM
Teague is definitely an upgrade over Rubio. Rubio is the flashy assist guy, but he can't really shoot. And you are right that Gibson is a good signing. They are setting themselves up for a nice little run. If Wiggins gets a little more efficient they could make things interesting. Not at the GSW level obviously but who knows?

MU Viking
07-03-2017, 09:30 AM
Teague is definitely an upgrade over Rubio. Rubio is the flashy assist guy, but he can't really shoot. And you are right that Gibson is a good signing. They are setting themselves up for a nice little run. If Wiggins gets a little more efficient they could make things interesting. Not at the GSW level obviously but who knows?

I don't know about that. Rubio is a better defender than Teague. Teague is a better offensive player. Rubio the better passer. Ultimately, I think it's probably a net positive but I don't think it is a slam dunk.

It's definitely an exciting lineup. Adding Butler and Gibson immediately gives this team legit gravitas in a tough West.

mufan2003
07-03-2017, 12:56 PM
Agree that Gibson is a nice, underrated signing for Minnesota. Millsap signing with Denver means another Eastern Conference team got weaker. Paul George, Jimmy Butler and now Paul Millsap going from the East to West. Bucks could be a top 4 seed in the East at this rate.

mufan2003
07-03-2017, 11:42 PM

Yes. The days of "he is a great PG that sees the floor, but can't shoot" are over. 5 positions, maximize each.....triple-threat (shoot, dribble, pass). Supplemented by rebounding and defense.

mufan2003
07-04-2017, 07:12 PM
Just an update on this. Millsap signed with Denver, but Minnesota signed Taj Gibson, which was a sneaky good signing. Taj really excelled under Thibs.

I've been surprised to see Minnesota fans down on the Rubio for Teague trade off. Many feel that is a downgrade. I'm not sure I agree.

1 Teague, 2 Butler, 3 Wiggins, 4 Gibson, 5 Towns sure looks like a top 4 seed in the West, as you say. But you also have to watch carefully what OKC is doing. Westbrook and George is an explosive combo. They're trying to make moves to sign Rudy Gay also and make him a stretch 4. Then you've got the Rockets getting Chris Paul and PJ Tucker to pair with Harden and others, and supposedly they are looking at trading for Carmelo Anthony.

If I'm Gordon Hayward, Boston or Miami have to look like pretty attractive options. Aside from LeBron and Giannis, who are the slam dunk starting All-Stars in the near future in the Eastern Conference? He'd basically be battling Demar Derozan for starting 2G in the All-Star game.

Gordon Hayward to Boston. Nice addition for the Celtics.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/gordon-hayward-decision-free-agency-nba/

CaribouJim
07-05-2017, 09:47 AM
Gordon Hayward to Boston. Nice addition for the Celtics.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/gordon-hayward-decision-free-agency-nba/

Accompanied by the obligatory Hayward's jersey burning in Utah. Hearing rumblings that the Celts may now move Jae. If so, hope he goes to a high profile team.

Nukem2
07-05-2017, 10:14 AM
Accompanied by the obligatory Hayward's jersey burning in Utah. Hearing rumblings that the Celts may now move Jae. If so, hope he goes to a high profile team.With Jayson Tatum coming as a #3 pick and now Gordon Hayward as a FA, that seems very likely that Jae would be moved.

CaribouJim
07-05-2017, 09:20 PM
I guess Marcus Smart and Avery Bradley are on the block along with Jae.