New MU Director of BB Ops.

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/061812aaa.html

IWB
06-18-2012, 04:49 PM
Did not see that one coming.

Wow.

Markedman
06-18-2012, 04:49 PM
Wow...talk about out of left field....I know him and Buzz are tight so this shouldn't have come as a complete shock but he just seems a bit "seasoned" for this position.

Although I guess DBO is more like just another assistant coach these days at MU.

Gato78
06-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Wainwright is a complete gentleman and had success everywhere he went except DePaul--which looks like it is becoming a career killer. He was touted as having great Chicago connections when he was hired at DePaul. Buzz needs a seasoned guy and Wainrwright fits the bill. This should be good.

MUBasketball
06-18-2012, 04:54 PM
Did not see that one coming.

Wow.

What are your thoughts on it? Good wow, or...?

I love it. Have loved Wainwright since reading the transcript of his introduction at DePaul. The guy is hilarious. "Take a look at my wife, now take a look at me. I dare you to tell me that I can't recruit!"

MayorBeluga
06-18-2012, 04:54 PM
Seriously? Was Perry Clark not availble? Ugh.

Nukem2
06-18-2012, 04:56 PM
Good hire. Gives Buzz some Experience on the bench.

milkbone
06-18-2012, 04:58 PM
Good hire. Gives Buzz some Experience on the bench.

He better not coach the "D"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MUBasketball
06-18-2012, 05:02 PM
Seriously? Was Perry Clark not availble? Ugh.

When he was hired at DePaul, it was considered a great hire. It didn't work for whatever reason but I think the problem was more due to DePaul than Wainwright. He's a veteran who is still highly regarded in the profession. Plus, its the DBO position. While important, he's not an assistant coach. Great hire to balance out a relatively young staff.

I love it.

MUAlphaBangura
06-18-2012, 05:47 PM
I also really like this hire. Remember Coach Crean talking very positively about Coach Wainwright. Stand up guy with years of experience. Haven't had that much experience from one guy in a long, long time.

Markedman
06-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Bobby Knight spoke glowingly about Steve Yoder too......coaches always love guys that they beat like a drum.

I also really like this hire. Remember Coach Crean talking very positively about Coach Wainwright. Stand up guy with years of experience. Haven't had that much experience from one guy in a long, long time.

TulsaWarrior
06-18-2012, 05:55 PM
Marquette interview sessions just got a lot funnier. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-03-09/sports/ct-spt-0310-haugh-depaul-jerry-wainwright20100309_1_depaul-jerry-wainwright-tracy-webster

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
06-18-2012, 07:00 PM
I like the hire. Wainwright still knows the game and was a great interview on the Score back in the day. Yeah, the DPU job went poorly, but as others have said, I'm not sure that should all be on JW.

ydouask23
06-18-2012, 07:15 PM
REALLY LOVE THIS HIRE! We are getting a guy with a ton of experience who doesnt have to recruit (seemed to be his problem at DePaul) and who, at this stage of his career, probably isnt looking to move up again. Having someone with experience and who should give us a few good years, maybe more, will be an awesome coup for this program. Great find Buzz.

ziggysfryboy
06-18-2012, 09:03 PM
Mess with the bull....you're gonna get the horns.

MayorBeluga
06-18-2012, 09:14 PM
Not a fan. Each time Wainwright left for a new job, he was a year ahead of the posse. Each time, he left the school in worse shape than he found it. He might be a good hoops mind (debatable) but there are plenty of those around. Buzz could have done much better.

kneelb4zerg
06-18-2012, 09:20 PM
Not a fan. Each time Wainwright left for a new job, he was a year ahead of the posse. Each time, he left the school in worse shape than he found it. He might be a good hoops mind (debatable) but there are plenty of those around. Buzz could have done much better.
It's director of basketball ops, not exactly a make or break position. Not sure how much better you can do for that spot anyway. I'm a fan of the hire FWIW, at minimum it's interesting and unconventional.

ydouask23
06-19-2012, 06:54 AM

I dont know what a year ahead of the posse means but I dont agree with this at all. He found UNC wilmington as a 3rd and 4th place finisher in their conference and he took them to the tournament twice and they even went to the tournament the year after he left.

Couldn't you argue that most his his issues fell on recruiting? He wont be recruiting in this position. And recruting at Depaul isnt exactly easy...

TheSultan
06-19-2012, 07:29 AM
Wainwright is a complete gentleman and had success everywhere he went except DePaul--which looks like it is becoming a career killer. He was touted as having great Chicago connections when he was hired at DePaul. Buzz needs a seasoned guy and Wainrwright fits the bill. This should be good.

I think hiring someone as DOBO with this much experience is good, but the guy was mediocre as a coach (186-145 before DePaul) and couldn't recruit Chicago a lick.

Warriors69
06-19-2012, 07:46 AM
Mike Deane without the shades.

MUMac
06-19-2012, 09:08 AM

Seriously? He is the Director of Basketball Operations, not the Head Coach you know.

Halo
06-19-2012, 09:11 AM
I think this is a tremendous hire for this position. Nice work Buzz.

MUMac
06-19-2012, 09:20 AM
I think hiring someone as DOBO with this much experience is good, but the guy was mediocre as a coach (186-145 before DePaul) and couldn't recruit Chicago a lick.

If he was the Head Coach or even in a recruiting position, these comments might have merrit. He is not. For the DBO, this is a very good hire.

How would those who do not like the hire compare Wainwright's credentials to Bart Lundy, Scott Monarch or Jason Rabideaux? Those were MU's last 3 Director's of Basketball Operations.

TheSultan
06-19-2012, 09:26 AM
From a credentials standpoint, I think Wainwright is marginally better than Bart Lundy, but miles ahead of Monarch or Rabideaux.

Halo
06-19-2012, 10:58 AM
Fran is concerned. If they twitter about it, his head may explode.

http://buckyville.yuku.com/topic/53867/When-did-Director-of-Basketball-Operations

Goose85
06-19-2012, 11:34 AM
I think it is a great way for college coaches to add veteran coaching experience to their staff without affecting recruiting.

A guy like Wainwright may want to still coach, but is not interested in the whole recruiting game anymore. Assistant coaches are recruiting along with the head coach, the basketball ops guy can handle advanced scouting, help at practice, game prep, etc.

If it bothers Fran, then it is probably a good thing. Of course if Bo brought on one of his cronies for a similar position it would be a stroke of genius.

TedBaxter
06-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Jamie McNeilly was promoted as well.

JohnnyRev
06-19-2012, 12:06 PM
To what position was Jamie McNeilly promoted? I've been hoping for this for some time.

TedBaxter
06-19-2012, 12:14 PM
Maybe I was wrong. I swore Jamie had Brad Autry's old title on the Marquette website, but now it still has his title from last year.

TulsaWarrior
06-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Buzz has three staffers now from his New Orleans days -- Monarch, McNeilly and Devin Johnson. http://www.linkedin.com/pub/devin-johnson/7/950/a82

Nukem2
06-19-2012, 01:35 PM
I think it is a great way for college coaches to add veteran coaching experience to their staff without affecting recruiting.

A guy like Wainwright may want to still coach, but is not interested in the whole recruiting game anymore. Assistant coaches are recruiting along with the head coach, the basketball ops guy can handle advanced scouting, help at practice, game prep, etc.

If it bothers Fran, then it is probably a good thing. Of course if Bo brought on one of his cronies for a similar position it would be a stroke of genius.Agreed. The DOBB position is used differently across the spectrum with many being an administrative position. Buzz has used the position to be more of another assistant with administrative duties spread elsewhere. Wainwright will give another viewpoint for Buzz as did Lundy and Monarch. Also, he fills in some of the experience lacking on the current staff as Monarch, Autry and Chew are not real seasoned guys in terms of high major Div I BB.