PDA

View Full Version : Kevon Looney at NBPA Top 100 Camp video by NY2LA

IWB
06-18-2012, 08:18 AM
Kevon Looney at the NBPA Top 100 Camp - video by NY2LA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOhqLMTvfd8&feature=youtu.be

bleedbluegold03
06-18-2012, 10:29 AM
This isn't by any means a groundbreaking statement but I feel as if often times with recruits, the success of similar players on the current squad reflect heavily in a recruit's mind.

A great example of this is a DJO with Kendrick Nunn. The success of a similar player in the system shows a recruit a glimpse of how he can be utilized in the future.

Where I am going with this is I believe the potential progression this year of Jamil Wilson could be the difference between a commitment from Looney and him going elsewhere; if Jamil can harness the potential that has been reported and reach an All BEast level, I think we have a much better chance convincing Looney that staying home isn't such a bad idea.

Gato78
06-18-2012, 10:59 AM
I think people are all wrong saying Kevon Looney is a forward. I think he is a guard. If he is going to play the 4 at MU he won't come here. He will go to a school where he can be a 2-3. He is not a 4-5 which I think Jamil is at this point--though with both Davante and CO this year, Jamil may be a 3-4 and not have to take minutes at the 5. Looney is a special talent who probably wants to play the 2. He was 1 through 5 for Hamilton this past year. He can handle it at the high school level. Would love to see him in an open gym to see his guard skills agains our playing alums.

warriorfan4life
06-18-2012, 11:20 AM
I think people are all wrong saying Kevon Looney is a forward. I think he is a guard. If he is going to play the 4 at MU he won't come here. He will go to a school where he can be a 2-3. He is not a 4-5 which I think Jamil is at this point--though with both Davante and CO this year, Jamil may be a 3-4 and not have to take minutes at the 5. Looney is a special talent who probably wants to play the 2. He was 1 through 5 for Hamilton this past year. He can handle it at the high school level. Would love to see him in an open gym to see his guard skills agains our playing alums.

Actually, most scouts are now projecting Looney to play the 4 spot in college. At 6-7 with long arms and a nose for the ball, he will be playing the 4 most anywhere in the nation. Now, we give our 4 men as much offensive freedom as any system in the country, and ideally need someone at the 4 spot with guard-type skills.

Gato78
06-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Hey, I know the scouts project him at the 4 but I compare it to when I thought Magic Johnson couldn't play the point in the NBA. I was sooooo wrong. I have seen Looney play a few times. He can take advantage of most guys at the rim but he also has a damn good handle and a pretty sweet J. I think he will only go to a school that lets him be a 2-3. He will be a 2-3 in the NBA. He is likely a one or two and done so why waste a year playing at the 4-5? If MU recruits him as a 4, I bet we are eliminated early on.

bleedbluegold03
06-18-2012, 12:15 PM
Gato I think disagree; Look at analysts current comments on him:

Evan Daniels - Top rebounders camp at NBPA Camp? No. 1 -- Kennedy Meeks. 7.2 per game. '14 guys Kevon Looney, Cliff Alexander & Noah Vonleh finished 2 - 4

Kevon Looney was likely the best PF prospect at Elite 100.

In your defense though here are his comments as to what he thinks he is:

Looney said getting to the basket and his mid-range game are his two best attributes. The junior-to-be can play any position on the floor, but he considers himself a small forward.

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/RIHKq5V-I0WxoVrVrF1R-A/kevon-looney-draws-comparisons-as-next-kevin-durant.htm

Even Durant in college though played the 3 which is where you could potentially fill him in for 2014 on our roster with (bbg's dream scenario) Steve Taylor, Jameel McKay and Paul White to fill in at the 4 & 5. With the exception of maybe 5 programs in the nation though he is going to need to play some time at the 4

warriorfan4life
06-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Durant swung between the 3 and 4 at Texas, as he started games at the 3 but would shift to 4 and Damion James shifted to the 5 when they went small. For us, it is not the label of what position he plays but what he is allowed to do. Lazar and Crowder both played both 4 and even 5 spots, but were allowed plenty of chances to play on the perimeter and either take threes or make plays off the dribble. Guys like Looney, Burton, and Taylor would be interchangeable and play both inside and out.

Gato78
06-18-2012, 12:35 PM
Don't look at this in terms of what Looney can do at MU. Look at what he can do if he goes to Kentucky or North Carolina. Then, as he is recruited, look at his decision making process --"If I go to MU I might be on the blocks. If I go to Kentiucky, I am on the wing."

Goose85
06-18-2012, 01:14 PM
Looney is the 2-4 type switchable that thrives in Buzz's system. Can guard multiple positions and has two more years of high school to develop his offensive game as a 2-3.

Agree with Gato, never mention playing the 4 slot to a guy like Looney. Best way to get Looney is to show (like Bleedbluegold said) we have guys like McKay, Taylor, hopefully a guy like White or someone of similar position, so he knows he will be playing what he considers to be a small forward.

TheSultan
06-18-2012, 01:16 PM
But Jamil doesn't really play on the blocks here. In Buzz's offense, the traditional 1-5 numbers don't pan out. The position you play here is more defined by who you guard on the defensive end and not what role you play on the offensive end. If Looney comes here, he will get plenty of opportunity to get to the basket and pop out and shoot the ball. It's not as though Buzz would turn him into Davante cause he's the same height.

Markedman
06-18-2012, 04:46 PM
Yeah I think this is right. He can play all over the court on offense but we will probably need him to guard the 4(at least some of the time) and rebound the ball. I doubt that would be any kind of an issue for him since being versatile is a big plus when transitioning to the NBA.

But Jamil doesn't really play on the blocks here. In Buzz's offense, the traditional 1-5 numbers don't pan out. The position you play here is more defined by who you guard on the defensive end and not what role you play on the offensive end. If Looney comes here, he will get plenty of opportunity to get to the basket and pop out and shoot the ball. It's not as though Buzz would turn him into Davante cause he's the same height.