PDA

View Full Version : Will Crean be Coaching Next Year?

Goose85
03-16-2017, 12:13 PM
Crean is shown the door at Indiana.

I will always appreciate what TC did here at MU, and for that reason have always cheered for him at Indiana and will do so at his next stop.
A program builder for sure.

Thought he'd get another year after winning the Big 10 last year and being stung by injuries this year. Fans just expect more.

NC State, Cal, Illinois, Washington, and who knows what else may open up.

Phantom Warrior
03-16-2017, 01:08 PM
He lasted nine years at IU. I don't have the real stats, but my guess is that exceeds the average coaching gig by at least a couple of years, especially in high-major programs.

MUfan12
03-16-2017, 01:41 PM
After how stressful IU was on him and the family, a year off might not be a bad idea.

Still think he'd be a decent NBA assistant. Good development guy, and strong in game prep.

The Reptile
03-16-2017, 01:51 PM
He can if he wants. He will get offers this year. An outsider could argue that a break would be good for him but we don't know what makes him tick and if he's got the itch to get back into coaching again.

79warrior
03-17-2017, 09:31 AM
After how stressful IU was on him and the family, a year off might not be a bad idea.

Still think he'd be a decent NBA assistant. Good development guy, and strong in game prep.

The guy was extremely well paid. $4million to leave. Many folks would sign up for his stress.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-17-2017, 12:35 PM
My guess is he takes the year off. Will make plenty to sit out a year, and likely have his choice of jobs next year.

Nukem2
03-17-2017, 01:27 PM
My guess is he takes the year off. Will make plenty to sit out a year, and likely have his choice of jobs next year.
One would think so, but he is such a hyper individual. Can't imagine him sitting still for a year. He would drive Joanie nuts.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
03-17-2017, 03:44 PM
I think it is really going to come down to what jobs open up... if he likes one he will take it, if not he will take the year off and revisit it next year when the next round opens up. He can always get a job in TV for the next year.

MUAlphaBangura
03-17-2017, 04:27 PM
I too think he might take this year off, if nothing else to have time to watch Riley play ball in college.

warriorfan4life
03-17-2017, 04:33 PM
I think it is really going to come down to what jobs open up... if he likes one he will take it, if not he will take the year off and revisit it next year when the next round opens up. He can always get a job in TV for the next year.

And he surprisingly has been pretty good on TV whenever he's had that opportunity.

ValiantSailor
03-18-2017, 10:43 AM
He gets $4M to NOT coach....

VS

Gato78
03-18-2017, 11:06 AM
Very likely he cut a deal to take something less--$2-3 million and is allowed to coach without a setoff. Otherwise, II, II is encouraging him not to coach. Likely a non-disparagement clause and, perhaps, limitation on coaching in Big Whatever for the upcoming season.

Halo
03-19-2017, 05:04 PM
I think he coaches somewhere, even though he should take a break. Have heard these guys always fear about being away for a year and somehow becoming irrelevant the following year.

TheSultan
03-19-2017, 06:10 PM
I think he coaches somewhere, even though he should take a break. Have heard these guys always fear about being away for a year and somehow becoming irrelevant the following year.

Parrish said that LSU has contacted him. May not be a bad landing spot.

I guess I don't understand why people feel he should take a break. He's a coach. We have coaches that coach well into their 70s.

MUMac
03-19-2017, 06:50 PM

Was told by an NFL Assistant Coach who was out of work for a year that in football (college or pro), you have to have a job the 2nd year or you likely won't be back. Basketball is likely similar. It's a competitive industry, but it is harder for an assistant to sit than a head coach. Crean could do some tv work for a year or two and still be in head coaching discussions.

Nukem2
03-19-2017, 07:17 PM

I guess I don't understand why people feel he should take a break. He's a coach. We have coaches that coach well into their 70s.
Yes, it's not like he is poor. An LSU job will do him well. Maybe not 4 million or whatever negotiated buyout. So what at those $$$$$.

IrwinFletcher
03-19-2017, 07:42 PM
Over the past 18 years, Crean has made, what, $40-50 Million. I would hope that he wouldn't be looking for a pay day but for a situation that gives him the best chance to win.

TheSultan
03-19-2017, 07:56 PM
What kind of job do people think that TC is going to get? I think we might be overestimating how in demand he would actually be. LSU might be the best job he is offered.

unclejohn
03-19-2017, 08:32 PM
What kind of job do people think that TC is going to get? I think we might be overestimating how in demand he would actually be. LSU might be the best job he is offered.

I don't see it happening at this point. The NC State and Illinois jobs filled up quickly. I do not see Crean settling for anything other than a major conference job, and I do not think there are that many of those available, or that he would necessarily be a candidate for some of them. He is not the kind of guy who is going to go rebuild the program at Sam Houston State or something like that. And I believe I read somewhere that there is indeed a set-off, so he would not actually make anything to coach anywhere else, or at least his earnings would be limited. I also do not see Crean taking an assistant position somewhere else. I do not think his ego would allow it. So perhaps a year of broadcasting or just counting his money. Or perhaps a year or two as an NBA assistant. Those jobs always seem to be available for former big school college coaches.

MayorBeluga
03-19-2017, 08:43 PM
He's better off on tv for a year because he is visible to recruits. Plus he can talk to schools that might be thinking about creating an opening. Basically, do the Urban Meyer.

Halo
03-19-2017, 09:26 PM

He has a family that he has dragged around the country the last 20 years. He has made a ton of money. He just got fired. He's extremely high strung and likely his body and mind could use a break. I remember the evaluations Buzz got done on his body and the results he shared that the stress of the job was taking on him.

Maybe Crean is different, but coaching at Indiana and their whack job fans likely takes years off your life. It's not like he was coaching at Mount St. Marys.

TheSultan
03-20-2017, 07:35 AM
He has a family that he has dragged around the country the last 20 years. He has made a ton of money. He just got fired. He's extremely high strung and likely his body and mind could use a break. I remember the evaluations Buzz got done on his body and the results he shared that the stress of the job was taking on him.

Maybe Crean is different, but coaching at Indiana and their whack job fans likely takes years off your life. It's not like he was coaching at Mount St. Marys.

I really don't know his health situation at all so I can't really speculate. And as for dragging his family across the country, he has moved twice since 1999. Once from Michigan to Milwaukee, and from Milwaukee to Indiana.

Goose85
03-20-2017, 08:51 AM
I think LSU would be a great job for him. Better coach than they have had, so his in game coaching will actually be an improvement.
Will not be expected to win the SEC and NCAA tourney every year or get canned.

Awilhelmscream
03-20-2017, 09:45 AM
He's the perfect coach to either right the ship with a program or resurrect one. LSU would be a perfect gig for him.

IWB
03-20-2017, 11:03 AM
He has a family that he has dragged around the country the last 20 years.

20 Years...I'll go with 22 as that is the age of his oldest child... In 22 years he has moved twice, both a short distance to neighboring states. Two of his three kids have only moved once. That is not exactly dragging your family around the country.

Halo
03-20-2017, 11:33 AM
20 Years...I'll go with 22 as that is the age of his oldest child... In 22 years he has moved twice, both a short distance to neighboring states. Two of his three kids have only moved once. That is not exactly dragging your family around the country.

Fine. Can we say he has traveled himself much of these years on recruiting trips and games? Does his family ever go with him to the away games or other trips? Has he missed many family moments due to the job?

My point is that the job of a college head coach is very difficult for all involved. High rewards of course and I don't feel sorry for them. But it can be tough on the home life and it wouldn't be the worst thing in my opinion to take a step back for a year finding the best fit for his career and family, rather then just what is available.

But I highly doubt he will.

Goose85
03-20-2017, 11:50 AM
At least two of his kids are college age or older now. One daughter would be a senior in college this year, one son ready to go to college and play baseball (probably not at Indiana any more). Not sure about the third.

I see what you say about stepping back for a year, but when you are 50 years old and likely want to prove your old employer wrong, I'd think you take a job.

IWB
03-20-2017, 11:56 AM
He takes family members on trips all the time.

While at MU he would often just take one kid with him to an away game. As soon as they would get to town - they would take off on their own and do things just the two of them. I have seen it happen. He has always made sure that he spends quality time with his family.

Same thing with Buzz. he would travel through anything to make sure he got home every night. Couldn't believe I would see him at an event and then three hours later he would be at a high school game on the West Coast, and be in the gym for practice at 6:00 the next morning, much of which was to make sure he was there when his kids woke up.

Wojo is no different.

These guys are not wired like us. They live on 4 hours of sleep and spend every minute of every day doing something, and while it may seem like they are never home, they make up for it every chance they get.

Gato78
03-20-2017, 11:58 AM
There is no discussion to be had here. If LSU or someone else, offers him a 7 to 10 year deal worth $15 million to $30 million guaranteed, he will take it. Of course it would be nice to take a year off etc, etc. The lure of that kind of money, even though he is already quite wealthy, is too much to pass up. This is guaranteed money versus an uncertain future.

Nukem2
03-20-2017, 11:59 AM
There is no discussion to be had here. If LSU or someone else, offers him a 7 to 10 year deal worth $15 million to $30 million guaranteed, he will take it. Of course it would be nice to take a year off etc, etc. The lure of that kind of money, even though he is already quite wealthy, is too much to pass up. This is guaranteed money versus an uncertain future.
Would agree.

Halo
03-20-2017, 12:25 PM

100% agree.

Warriors69
03-20-2017, 02:54 PM
To be honest, why do we care ?

Nukem2
03-20-2017, 03:19 PM
To be honest, why do we care ?
Why not? He is an integral part of MU's men's basketball history. Interesting to follow the career and lives of our coaching "alums".

CaribouJim
03-21-2017, 01:42 PM
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/03/21/tom-crean-indiana-hoosiers-fired

ge1974
03-21-2017, 02:25 PM
"Since Crean got the news, he’s been flooded with text messages and phone calls from former players, coaching colleagues and friends. The advice that resonated most came from a coaching friend: “You have to get over the feelings of failure and betrayal as quick as possible.” Crean said he's on his way: “I didn’t have any real fear of getting over failure. So obviously you have to get yourself and family over the other one. We’re well on the way.”

So, does he feel betrayed by IU??? If yes, he's a hypocrite after leaving MU, its players and fans the way he did. Or am i interpreting this comment incorrectly?

IrwinFletcher
03-21-2017, 05:18 PM
Precisely. Wonder why the author didn't ask that question.

Goose85
03-22-2017, 09:24 AM
"Since Crean got the news, he’s been flooded with text messages and phone calls from former players, coaching colleagues and friends. The advice that resonated most came from a coaching friend: “You have to get over the feelings of failure and betrayal as quick as possible.” Crean said he's on his way: “I didn’t have any real fear of getting over failure. So obviously you have to get yourself and family over the other one. We’re well on the way.”

So, does he feel betrayed by IU??? If yes, he's a hypocrite after leaving MU, its players and fans the way he did. Or am i interpreting this comment incorrectly?

That was said by a coaching friend, not by Crean himself.
I'd think it good for his health to move on, but not really sure what jobs are out there at this time that would fit him.
Cal, but he has never been a west coast guy.

MUBasketball
03-22-2017, 09:45 AM
That was said by a coaching friend, not by Crean himself.
I'd think it good for his health to move on, but not really sure what jobs are out there at this time that would fit him.
Cal, but he has never been a west coast guy.

LSU is no longer open, but I didn't understand his name being linked to that job either. Don't blame LSU for gauging his interest, but I don't see Crean as a fit in the bayou. Fish out of water.