PDA

View Full Version : NCAA deregulates texts, calls to hoops recruits

CaribouJim
06-15-2012, 09:00 AM
Is this a good thing? My cell is billed through work, but don't you get charged on the receiving end of texts as well as sending? In any event, it seems weird - can they at least restrict what times of day they can text, i.e., not during school hours and not between 9:00 PM and 6:00 AM - something like that?

I guess as Huggy said, it is too hard to keep track of. If I was a parent, I would monitor if possible when the texts were coming in though. Again, aren't letters enough?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/basketball/ncaa/06/14/NCAA.contact.rules.ap/index.html?sct=hp_t2_a10&eref=sihp

MUMac
06-15-2012, 09:21 AM
Most cell plans now have unlimited texting. It is too cost prohibitive to pay by the text. All incoming text's are free. You can monitor text's through the cell provider, but there are restrictions and some hurdles that make that difficult.

Kids communicate almost exclusively via social media and texting. I think that is the reason for the change. Snail mail is a thing of the past in recruiting.

The first thing the coaches seem to ask for is the kids cell phone number. Once they get that, parents really are out of the loop. We would get the phone calls on the land line until the coaches learned of the cell number. Then we never fielded another call as they went directly to our kids. I did not like that.

CaribouJim
06-20-2012, 11:30 AM
Good for Jabari Parker's parents:

08:26 AM ET 06.20 | Though the NCAA has relaxed its restrictions on texting recruits, the rules haven't changed for contacting Jabari Parker. Parker remains off limits. His parents, Sonny and Lola Parker, do not permit college coaches to contact Parker directly. They must call or text them. "Everybody doing their job, but they still can't have Jabari's number," Sonny said on Tuesday. "That ain't changed. We want him to enjoy being who he is. If he wants to talk, we'll ask him first." ... Coaches have been reaching out to Parker's parents in the last week. Sonny said they've heard from Duke, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan State, among others. "I talked to (Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski) the other day," Sonny said. "He wished me a Happy Father's Day.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/331269-parents-wont-allow-coaches-to-text-parker?eref=sihp&sct=hp_bf2_a12

bleedbluegold03
06-20-2012, 11:45 AM
Bigger companies give employees cell phones so they have two: one for work and one for play

This may seem farfetched but what's against having recruiting services or a 3rd party source providing 2nd phones to recruits that are for the sole purpose of their recruitment?

I know this is an outlandish remark and I want to use it mostly as a spring board into a discussion as to where people think this will all end

MUMac
06-20-2012, 11:52 AM
Bigger companies give employees cell phones so they have two: one for work and one for play

This may seem farfetched but what's against having recruiting services or a 3rd party source providing 2nd phones to recruits that are for the sole purpose of their recruitment?

I know this is an outlandish remark and I want to use it mostly as a spring board into a discussion as to where people think this will all end

Could not work. What/who do you consider a recruit? These rules impact all sports, not just Basketball or Football.

I like what the Parkers have done. They are retaining control over the recruitment and can set acceptable standards of contact when the coach first calls. Unfortunately, because Jabari is a top 10 recruit, they can do that. Other tier recruits, that position could make the coach decide not to recruit them.

IrwinFletcher
06-20-2012, 06:17 PM
Could not work. What/who do you consider a recruit? These rules impact all sports, not just Basketball or Football.

I like what the Parkers have done. They are retaining control over the recruitment and can set acceptable standards of contact when the coach first calls. Unfortunately, because Jabari is a top 10 recruit, they can do that. Other tier recruits, that position could make the coach decide not to recruit them.

If student athletes had parents like Jabari's, there wouldn't be problems in recruiting that we seen today. Good for them, I say....