PDA

View Full Version : Big Tenelevenwhatever Tourney

Gato78
03-08-2017, 07:22 PM
They are in DC this year and The World's Most Famous Arena next year. In the past they have not allowed alcohol at their tourney. Is that still the case? Seems to me it would be a terrible idea for MSG and really take away from the atmosphere. Does anyone know?

MayorBeluga
03-08-2017, 07:57 PM
Just flipped over to the Big Whatever to see the crowd. While an old school Big East kerfulle was breaking out at MSG, a Georgetown game from this year broke out in DC as dozens of people are there to watch Rutgers and Ohio State.

IWB
03-09-2017, 09:24 AM
I love the Big 10 tourney runaround...

Jim Boeheim: "There is absolutely no benefit to having the conference tourney in Greensboro."

Coach K: "There are a lot of benefits to having the conference tourney in Greensboro."

Wasn't I just bitching about the favoritism that Duke & UNC get in the NCAAs? I know that Duke, UNC, NC State and Wake FOrest are all from North Carolina, but let's look at the history of the ACC tourney...

1954-2020 the state hosting the ACC Tourney...

North Carolina: 54 times
Georgia: 6
Maryland: 3
D.C.: 2
New York: 2
Florida: 1

Yeah, there is a lot of benefits to having the ACC tourney in Greensboro. Just ask the teams whose state has hosted it...

Georgia & Georgia Tech (2)
Syracuse (2)
Florida State & Miami (1)
Clemson (0)
Virginia & Virginia Tech (0)
Boston College (0)
Notre Dame (0)
Pittsburgh (0)
Louisville (0)

TheSultan
03-09-2017, 10:30 AM
North Carolina is a central location with multiple arenas that can host an generate a great crowd.

Is the Big East hosting every year at MSG a sign of St. John's favoritism?

MUAlphaBangura
03-09-2017, 10:36 AM
North Carolina is a central location with multiple arenas that can host an generate a great crowd.

So you are comparing Greensboro to New York City? Got it.

IWB
03-09-2017, 11:23 AM

Huge difference...

Madison Square Garden has always hosted the Big East Tournament.

The ACC tournament has always moved around.

54-66 - Raleigh
67 - Greensboro
68-70 - Charlotte
71-75 - Greensboro
76 - Landover, MD
77-80 - Greensboro
81 - Landover, MD
82 - Greensboro
83 - Atlanta, GA
84 - Greensboro
85 - Atlanta, GA
86 - Greensboro
87 - Landover, MD
88 - Greensboro
89 - Atlanta, GA
90-94 - Charlotte
95-98 - Greensboro
99-00 - Charlotte
01- Atlanta, GA
02 - Charlotte
03-04 - Greensboro
05 - Washington DC
06 - Greensboro
07 - Tampa, FL
08 - Charlotte
09 - Atlanta, GA
10-11 - Greensboro
12 - Atlanta, GA
13-15 - Greensboro
16 - Washington DC
17-18 - Brooklyn, NY
19 - Charlotte
20 - Greensboro

So they have no issues moving it around, but prefer North Carolina as its been there 54 times and outside of North Carolina only 13 times.

Gato78
03-09-2017, 11:37 AM
Mrs. Gato answered my initial question by searching the interwebs. I understand alcohol is now allowed at Big Tenelevenwhatever Tournament. They can imbibe in DC at this year's version.

MayorBeluga
03-09-2017, 11:49 AM
Mrs. Gato answered my initial question by searching the interwebs. I understand alcohol is now allowed at Big Tenelevenwhatever Tournament. They can imbibe in DC at this year's version.

You'd have to to watch some of those Big Tenelevenwhatever teams this year.

MayorBeluga
03-09-2017, 11:52 AM
Huge difference...

Madison Square Garden has always hosted the Big East Tournament.

The ACC tournament has always moved around.

Well, the BET was in Providence, Syracuse and Hartford it's first 3 years (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_East_Men's_Basketball_Tournament). This is the 35th straight year at the World's Most Famous Arena though, so your point stands.

warriorfan4life
03-09-2017, 11:52 AM
I will be cheering hard to our former coach today. Seven Big Ten teams infesting the NCAA Tournament is enough (frankly, the tournament would be fine with Purdue, Northwestern, and Michigan as their representatives). Michigan looks to be dispatching of Illinois's faint hopes, and hopefully Indiana quells the ridiculous Iowa talk.

IWB
03-09-2017, 12:55 PM
Peegs Tweeted a pic of the Big 10 Tourney...

Mike Pegram‏*@peegs
At the Verizon Center for the opening B1G game. As my photo shows, don't have a lot of company. $6 tickets outside pic.twitter.com/ZwsiXsMPut

TheSultan
03-09-2017, 05:15 PM
So you are comparing Greensboro to New York City? Got it.

Uh...what???

I'm saying that there are logical reasons why the ACC tournament is in North Carolina so often. Just like there are logical reasons why the BET is in NYC.

Not everything is the pro-Duke and pro-UNC conspiracy that IWB thinks it is.

Goose85
03-10-2017, 08:56 AM
Uh...what???

I'm saying that there are logical reasons why the ACC tournament is in North Carolina so often. Just like there are logical reasons why the BET is in NYC.

Not everything is the pro-Duke and pro-UNC conspiracy that IWB thinks it is.

May not be a conspiracy, but Duke and UNC have major pull with what happens to ACC basketball. When Coach K talks, the ACC listens.

TheSultan
03-10-2017, 09:56 AM
Prior to Coach K getting to Duke, the ACC tournament had only been held outside of North Carolina once in 27 years.

Since then, it has been held in North Carolina 26 times in 38 years.

This is more about tradition than anything else.

Goose85
03-10-2017, 10:13 AM
Prior to Coach K getting to Duke, the ACC tournament had only been held outside of North Carolina once in 27 years.

Since then, it has been held in North Carolina 26 times in 38 years.

This is more about tradition than anything else.

When Coach K took over at Duke half of the ACC was in NC (4 in NC, and one in each of 4 other states).

There are now 11 teams in the ACC outside of North Carolina.

Five of the last 8 tournaments were held in Greensboro, which is less than an hour from Duke and UNC.

I can understand why guys like Boeheim complain, and fans of Miami, Florida State, Pit, BC (if any), Notre Dame, Lousiville and Pitt would complain. Why the heck are we all flying into Greensboro with all the other options and cities available? If you want to have a rotating conference tournament, why Greensboro?

Boeheim should be happy, the next two years the tourney is at the Barclays. But after that, back to Charlotte and Greensboro.

Litehouse
03-11-2017, 07:23 AM
With Maryland losing last night, they could have some small crowds at the Verizon Center the next 2 days.

BLT
03-11-2017, 10:16 AM
New York is the ideal place and the BET and MSG are the perfect make up for a great and dramatic conference tournament for both in person and TV viewing. As a fan, I know well in advance where and when I can schedule and budget for a trip. Next, I don't have to consider whether to make the trip or not based on the team's performance each year: All teams are in, and if my team loses early, there is plenty to do. Third, if I don't want to go to games after my team loses, I can sell the tickets. Fourth, the drama, locale, tradition, and the small conference the third time through pretty much ensures every game will be a sudden thriller urban street fight to watch in person or on TV. Add in Gus and Raf who keep reinforcing the history and drama and you have a brand for basketball junkies.

In the mega conferences, the news is empty seats, bitching/sniping coaches, mediocre spread out games with so many teams who aren't rivals, and a rotating city every year that fans cannot even remember where next year's location is as they care more about football. Money cannot buy you happiness, so enjoy the infighting Jimmy.

Gato78
03-11-2017, 11:28 AM
BIG EAST needs Raftery to be there for the entire tournament. He is Mr. BIG EAST and he and Augustus Cornelius Johnson are just too damn good together. Raf at the Big Tenelevenwhatevr yesterday was just not right.

Halo
03-11-2017, 11:34 AM
BIG EAST needs Raftery to be there for the entire tournament. He is Mr. BIG EAST and he and Augustus Cornelius Johnson are just too damn good together. Raf at the Big Tenelevenwhatevr yesterday was just not right.

I saw Raf was doing that game. How did Fox and the BE let that happen?

BLT
03-11-2017, 11:52 AM
I saw Raf was doing that game. How did Fox and the BE let that happen?

Fox owns the Big 10 Network. He explained he is back to the BET after last night's games on air to finish up there.

TheSultan
03-11-2017, 01:10 PM
Fox owns the Big 10 Network. He explained he is back to the BET after last night's games on air to finish up there.

He's doing the first B10 semifinal right now. Maybe he heads back after this game?

I do like Jim Jackson though. Has grown into that roll quite nicely.

The Reptile
03-11-2017, 01:51 PM
Greensboro may be central for the ACC but it leaves a lot to be desired as a destination. The venue is large enough for the event, but there is little around it, parking is horrible and you have to take local roads to get to it. I understand the desire of Boeheim to not play there (but can't stand the man so I hope they keep it there) and can't believe that this is the best compromise for a league that wants to be perceived as the best in the sport. This is ACC politics at its best.

BLT
03-11-2017, 01:57 PM
He's doing the first B10 semifinal right now. Maybe he heads back after this game?

I do like Jim Jackson though. Has grown into that roll quite nicely.

Yikes. That semi is on CBS, not BTN. I thought he was referring to heading back to NY, not moving networks two chairs over in DC.

TheSultan
03-11-2017, 03:18 PM
Yikes. That semi is on CBS, not BTN. I thought he was referring to heading back to NY, not moving networks two chairs over in DC.

He always has had a contract to do CBS work around the tournament.

MayorBeluga
03-11-2017, 03:44 PM
Raf always works CBS games on he weekend during the regular season. His calling the B10111214 games today and tomorrow is likely due to that contract. Pity, as he belongs on Fox tonight at the World's Most Famous Arena calling the championship of the soul of college hoops instead of that midmajor tournament he's calling.

BLT
03-11-2017, 04:13 PM
With Nance and Hill, Raf is very sedated. That team sounds like they are announcing a golf tournament. He is also losing his voice. He deserves to be with Gus and the BE so his personality comes out.