PDA

View Full Version : This plan to fix one-bid conference tourneys might be radical, but it's also logical

CaribouJim
03-08-2017, 11:50 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/this-plan-to-fix-one-bid-conference-tournaments-might-be-radical-but-its-also-logical/

Zany Gary Parrish idea. Nonetheless, would be interesting to see how it would play out as a test some year.

MayorBeluga
03-08-2017, 12:31 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/this-plan-to-fix-one-bid-conference-tournaments-might-be-radical-but-its-also-logical/

Zany Gary Parrish idea. Nonetheless, would be interesting to see how it would play out as a test some year.

The conferences are free to implement the first idea (granting the regular season champ a bye to the final). The level of stupidity on the second part (giving the regular season champs a 10 point lead to start the game) is epic.

Nukem2
03-08-2017, 12:38 PM
I wonder how much money these mid-to-low major conferences and their members actually make from these tourneys when you add in all the attendant costs?

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-08-2017, 01:16 PM
My thought was this. First, I love the bye to the final. Great idea that gives the champ an easier path without diminishing the importance of the conference tournament. I'd have the tournament at a neutral site (or however it's currently done) and instead of the 10 point spot, let the regular season champ host the title game. That way they get the bye and home court advantage.

One problem, what about ties? What if you have two 15-3 teams that split the season series? Is a tiebreaker enough to justify one team hosting the final and the other needing to play 2-3 games just to get there?

I do think a rework is needed, especially in one bid leagues that give a bad team like Milwaukee the same chance as a quality team like Oakland or Valparaiso.

TheSultan
03-08-2017, 01:50 PM
Conferences have used some sort of "laddering" system in the past. Didn't the Horizon League used to bye their top two seeds to the semifinals?

But again, it really is up to the conference and they can do whatever is in their best interests as far as I am concerned. (Although I personally like the idea of giving the #1 seed a bye to the championship game.) And yes I do think they make money on the conference tournament, otherwise they wouldn't bother.

Goose85
03-08-2017, 02:38 PM
If the conference doesn't care if the conference champ goes to the tourney or not, I'm not sure why Gary Parrish cares. Most of the perennial one bid leagues are one and done anyway.

Was the Horizon league game last night more interesting because the top seed wasn't playing, or would it have been more interesting if it turned out to be Oakland v. Valpo? I really don't know.

In smaller conferences the conference champ has built in advantages like seeding, sitting out a round, or playing games at home. I know Horizon did this in the past.
Basically, conference tournaments mean almost every team in NCAA D1 has a shot at the big dance. Sure you can complain about a team getting left out, but most had a chance to win their conference tourney.

MU/Panther
03-08-2017, 03:12 PM
If the conference doesn't care if the conference champ goes to the tourney or not, I'm not sure why Gary Parrish cares. Most of the perennial one bid leagues are one and done anyway.

. #1 seed of one bid leagues improves the odds to get to the 2nd round and maybe Sweet 16.

Mucrisco
03-08-2017, 03:32 PM
I don't like that at all. The regular season champion is an accomplishment in itself and is something to be proud in its own worth. But, you have certain goals. One goal is to win the regular season. The next goal is to win the conference tournament. The next might be to win the national championship. Let the teams compete for those goals on the court instead of trying to set what is fair in the rule book. Sports is about competition and overcoming obstacles.

03-08-2017, 03:41 PM

Having your best team in increases your league's exposure, the chance to earn tournament shares that provide revenue for the entire league, and give the entire country the chance to see the best possible teams compete in the tournament. Milwaukee wasn't going to be that Cinderella Sweet 16 story from a Dayton 16 seed game, but Oakland or Valparaiso from a 13 or 14 might have been. Better for the Horizon, better for the quality of competition in the NCAA Tournament as a whole.

Goose85
03-08-2017, 03:53 PM
Having your best team in increases your league's exposure, the chance to earn tournament shares that provide revenue for the entire league, and give the entire country the chance to see the best possible teams compete in the tournament. Milwaukee wasn't going to be that Cinderella Sweet 16 story from a Dayton 16 seed game, but Oakland or Valparaiso from a 13 or 14 might have been. Better for the Horizon, better for the quality of competition in the NCAA Tournament as a whole.

I understand that, but the conferences can choose who goes and how they set up their tourney. My guess is that many do give the top team an advantage, like playing at home.

I can just see the argument the first time the #1 seed gets a pass to the tournament final and losses. It wasn't fair, we haven't played in over a week, and then we had to play a team that is used to the tournament and is hot, having won two or three straight.

TheSultan
03-08-2017, 04:23 PM

Yet conferences have continued to use the tournament approach instead. Even the Ivy has a four-team tournament this year.

So I don't think the conferences agree with you.

03-08-2017, 04:48 PM
Yet conferences have continued to use the tournament approach instead. Even the Ivy has a four-team tournament this year.

So I don't think the conferences agree with you.

Maybe because no one has come up with the best of both worlds solution to having both a conference tournament AND getting the best team in. I've never seen this suggested before. Seems like a good idea.

DavidBoone2inchesTaller
03-08-2017, 10:09 PM

Caribou:

The article had me, it really did, until the 10-0 lead in the title game suggestion. Then, the article lost all credibility. I agree, though, something needs to be done to help the little conferences and at the same time maintaining the fun of having a tournament with having a bid on the line.

MayorBeluga
03-08-2017, 10:15 PM
Caribou:

The article had me, it really did, until the 10-0 lead in the title game suggestion. Then, the article lost all credibility. I agree, though, something needs to be done to help the little conferences and at the same time maintaining the fun of having a tournament with having a bid on the line.

Why? Each conference can determine their own way of crowning a champ and therefore who gets the automatic bid. If a conference chooses to have a tournament, they have no one to blame but themselves if they end up with a situation like the Horizon this season.

DavidBoone2inchesTaller
03-08-2017, 10:52 PM
Why? Each conference can determine their own way of crowning a champ and therefore who gets the automatic bid. If a conference chooses to have a tournament, they have no one to blame but themselves if they end up with a situation like the Horizon this season.

Actually, I think it would have been good for the Horizon in terms of national press coverage. Not NCAA credits so much though. Had UWM won last night, the Horizon League would have gotten its most national press since Butler made the NCAA Championship Game.

Also, I would have loved for Amanda Braun to eat her words from last year when she said (paraphrase), 'A 5th place finish in the conference regular season didn't warrant a post season tournament.' That would have been awesome to see her backed into a corner with her own words.

CaribouJim
03-09-2017, 08:50 AM
Caribou:

Actually, would love to see a game with the 10-0 scenario just for the weirdness of it all. I would think it would draw some incremental eyes to the game as well.

Also wonder how the oddsmakers would handicap the game - if they would have the regular season champs a 3 point favorite under normal circumstances would they simply slap on another 10 points or would there be more nuances to consider.

IWB
03-09-2017, 08:58 AM
Also, I would have loved for Amanda Braun to eat her words from last year when see said (paraphrase), 'A 5th place finish in the conference regular season didn't warrant a post season tournament.' That would have been awesome to see her backed into a corner with her own words.

That is pretty good right there DB!

03-09-2017, 05:28 PM
Caribou:

The 10-0 lead is silly, but no reason the rest couldn't be utilized.