PDA

View Full Version : OK, I admit it...

MayorBeluga
03-07-2017, 10:42 AM
As great as the current Big East is (especially with a true round-robin), I miss the 16 team Big East Tournament. It was so awesome to head to NYC on Monday, then sit and watch 15 games Tuesday - Saturday. It was incredible to see the interaction amongst the fans: the obnoxious arrogance of Cuse fans, the inbred WVU fans, the pleather jacket-wearing Louisville fans, the haughty Georgetown fans, all complaining how Tim Higgins and Jim Burr hates their school (when we all knew it was really Marquette they had it in for). I loved having 3 days of all days hoops before the electric semis on Friday night when the NYC "important" people showed up. I loved the reactions of the NYC folks the first time they saw the Louisville, Cincy and especially the South Florida dance teams. Yes, I even miss walking all the way up to Times Square at about 1AM to find a cab after watching the 6 OT game between UConn and Cuse.

Yes, the current Big East Tournament still has a special feel. But God help me, I do miss the 16 team version so.

IWB
03-07-2017, 01:12 PM
When you think about the teams that left, Syracuse, Louisville, UConn, West Virginia, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh and Cincy, those are/were all big names. Those added to the draw in a major way. I know a woman who is taking her 7 year old son to the tourney this year because he is a big Creighton fan. When she told me all I could think was, "Thank God Syracuse, Louisville & WVU aren't there anymore or that woman and her son would be in for some big surprises."

MayorBeluga
03-07-2017, 01:27 PM
When you think about the teams that left, Syracuse, Louisville, UConn, West Virginia, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh and Cincy, those are/were all big names. Those added to the draw in a major way. I know a woman who is taking her 7 year old son to the tourney this year because he is a big Creighton fan. When she told me all I could think was, "Thank God Syracuse, Louisville & WVU aren't there anymore or that woman and her son would be in for some big surprises."

First year in the revised Big East, Gato turns to me and says "Cuse fans would have eaten these Creighton fans alive"

CaribouJim
03-07-2017, 01:47 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/06/sports/basketball/new-york-city-college-basketball-history-ccny.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fsp orts&action=click&contentCollection=sports&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront&_r=0

Goose85
03-07-2017, 02:24 PM
I know it is important for the Big East to be close to selling out The Garden with the ACC wanting to get in.
Any idea how ticket sales are for the tourney this year?

Gato78
03-07-2017, 02:35 PM
Let's not forget the great St. John's fans. A couple guys behind us (MU not playing) were St. John's fans and yelling and swearing at the refs. I am not kidding, turned around after hearing this for a while and it was a father-son combo and the kid was like 11 or 12 years old.

mufan2003
03-07-2017, 03:17 PM
I know it is important for the Big East to be close to selling out The Garden with the ACC wanting to get in.
Any idea how ticket sales are for the tourney this year?

IIRC, attendance was great for last year's tournament with the championship game being a sell-out.

IWB
03-07-2017, 04:50 PM
I liked Gato's story of the, was it a Syracuse fan after they won?

Guy walking up steps in aisle after his team won - fan from opposing school says, "Great game Syracuse." Without missing a beat or turning his head, the 'Cuse fan replies, "F You!"

DavidBoone2inchesTaller
03-08-2017, 10:16 PM
As great as the current Big East is (especially with a true round-robin), I miss the 16 team Big East Tournament. It was so awesome to head to NYC on Monday, then sit and watch 15 games Tuesday - Saturday. It was incredible to see the interaction amongst the fans: the obnoxious arrogance of Cuse fans, the inbred WVU fans, the pleather jacket-wearing Louisville fans, the haughty Georgetown fans, all complaining how Tim Higgins and Jim Burr hates their school (when we all knew it was really Marquette they had it in for). I loved having 3 days of all days hoops before the electric semis on Friday night when the NYC "important" people showed up. I loved the reactions of the NYC folks the first time they saw the Louisville, Cincy and especially the South Florida dance teams. Yes, I even miss walking all the way up to Times Square at about 1AM to find a cab after watching the 6 OT game between UConn and Cuse.

Yes, the current Big East Tournament still has a special feel. But God help me, I do miss the 16 team version so.

I tell you what I miss...I miss MayorBeluga writing in the third person. Especially his reports from MSG written in the third person. Oh the good ole' days!

MayorBeluga
03-08-2017, 10:24 PM
I tell you what I miss...I miss MayorBeluga writing in the third person. Especially his reports from MSG written in the third person. Oh the good ole' days!

The Mayor is likely going back to the BET next year, so perhaps Hizzoner will return to said practice.

Good times for The Mayor and his constituents, indeed.

Gato78
03-08-2017, 10:39 PM
Mrs. Gato and I will be there next year--maybe this year if we reach the finals.

DavidBoone2inchesTaller
03-08-2017, 10:57 PM
Mrs. Gato and I will be there next year--maybe this year if we reach the finals.

Once my little ones grow up I'll probably head there too. Then I will climb down from the cheap seats to come down and say hi to you Gato.:cool:

MUAlphaBangura
03-09-2017, 07:34 AM
The Mayor is likely going back to the BET next year, so perhaps Hizzoner will return to said practice.

Good times for The Mayor and his constituents, indeed.

The Mayor needs to find a man-bro like Flavor-Flav to hang with next year at the Big East Tourney!! Yah Booooyyyyyy!

MayorBeluga
03-09-2017, 07:45 AM
The Mayor needs to find a man-bro like Flavor-Flav to hang with next year at the Big East Tourney!! Yah Booooyyyyyy!

Can someone provide a translation for Hizzoner?

MUAlphaBangura
03-09-2017, 07:50 AM

You don't need a translation. Just get your grill and a clock necklace and you'll be good to go!

DavidBoone2inchesTaller
03-09-2017, 08:03 AM

You don't need a translation. Just get your grill and a clock necklace and you'll be good to go!

In essence, Flavor Flav is a hype man. A guy like that could be used to bring a lot of attention to Hizzoner and his crew! Not that Hizzoner would want any attention!

Don't get me wrong though, I love the mayor and the third person thing. It's hilarious and perfect for a forum like BrewCity where free speech is not a crime! :rolleyes: