PDA

View Full Version : Three Point Shooting

IWB
03-03-2017, 12:29 PM
During the broadcast of the past two road games the announcers have mentioned Marquette leading the country in three point percentage. Each time I hear this it stops me, I know MU is good from three, but best in the nation good?

MU has had years where you didn't trust anyone to shoot the three. Sure we had Novak & Diener, but even the Amigos weren't a for-sure-shot.

Looking at it MU is 42.8% from three to lead the nation. That is a stat MU hasn't been up in for a long time.

Now here is where it gets a bit odd. What is the criteria for stats on the NCAA website?
Markus Howard leads the nation in 3pt % with 55.6%.
They show no one else from Marquette in the top 50, yet...

Rowsey is 45% which would be tied for 10th
Hauser is 44.1% which would be tied for 16th with Matt Thomas

(I'll leave Traci Carter with a score of incomplete as he would be at 23rd)

So why are Rowsey and Howard not on the list? I would guess that it is lack of a certain number of attempts, but Rowsey has more attempts than Howard and Hauser, while fewer than anyone on the list, is only 6 attempts shy of Howard.

So what gives?

AlexJesswein
03-03-2017, 12:41 PM
During the broadcast of the past two road games the announcers have mentioned Marquette leading the country in three point percentage. Each time I hear this it stops me, I know MU is good from three, but best in the nation good?

MU has had years where you didn't trust anyone to shoot the three. Sure we had Novak & Diener, but even the Amigos weren't a for-sure-shot.

Looking at it MU is 42.8% from three to lead the nation. That is a stat MU hasn't been up in for a long time.

Now here is where it gets a bit odd. What is the criteria for stats on the NCAA website?
Markus Howard leads the nation in 3pt % with 55.6%.
They show no one else from Marquette in the top 50, yet...

Rowsey is 45% which would be tied for 10th
Hauser is 44.1% which would be tied for 16th with Matt Thomas

(I'll leave Traci Carter with a score of incomplete as he would be at 23rd)

So why are Rowsey and Howard not on the list? I would guess that it is lack of a certain number of attempts, but Rowsey has more attempts than Howard and Hauser, while fewer than anyone on the list, is only 6 attempts shy of Howard.

So what gives?

Says it right at the bottom of the page

Min. 2.5 made per game
Players must play in 75% of their team's games

MUwarrior1090
03-03-2017, 02:49 PM
2.5 makes per game seems high to qualify. Rowsey is at 2.17 per game. He would need 7 makes tomorrow to qualify.

IWB
03-03-2017, 02:51 PM
Good God am I having a day. I looked those pages up and down trying to find anything, and saw nothing. Then there was Minnesota instead of Iowa. Then there was... I need a break.

russguss
03-03-2017, 11:07 PM
* To qualify, a player must be on pace to play in 75% of team games and average more than 2 three point attempts per game.