PDA

View Full Version : Be poy

Phantom Warrior
03-01-2017, 05:13 PM
I know Hart was the favorite going into the season, and he is still in great shape to win it all, but my vote - if I had one - would be for Delgado.

He has had 16 double-doubles in 17 conference games. He ranks 7th in scoring (16.2 ppg) and 1st in rebounding (13.9) more than double the second place rebounders (Martin and Gaston at 6.6 rpg). He is also 5th in fg% at 53.3%

Hart, of course, has had a terrific season as well. He is 2nd in scoring (18.0 ppg) and 4th in rebounding at 6.5 rpg. He is 11th in fg% at 48.3% and 7th in steals at 1.6 spg. He is 10th in 3s made per game at 1.9.

There are a few others that might get some support - Martin, Foster, Pryor, Cartwright, Blueitt, for example - but I think it's pretty much a two-horse race.

Thoughts?

P.S. One thing I am certain of is that no MU player will get any serious consideration.

warriorfan4life
03-01-2017, 05:32 PM
If Delgado was better from the line and turned it over less, I think he would have a real argument over Hart. I would vote Hart, but if not him, it actually may be his teammate Jalen Brunson. Brunson is actually a hair more efficient then Hart, and really become the same type of leader as Archie was last year.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-01-2017, 07:58 PM
Josh Hart by a mile. Hart is near the top of virtually every advanced category. His conference numbers are just silly. Delgado is a first team player, but there's a reason Hart is a viable NPOY candidate and Delgado isn't in the conversation, and it's the same reason Delgado shouldn't be in the conference conversation either. He's a fine player but not in that category.

MUAlphaBangura
03-01-2017, 08:16 PM
Josh Hart all day long.

Nukem2
03-01-2017, 08:58 PM
Has to be Josh Hart.

Gato78
03-01-2017, 10:20 PM
Fair to make an argument for Delgado but it should be Hart.

AbovetheRim
03-01-2017, 10:31 PM
13.9 rebounds a game is insane. I vote for him solely on that figure.

IrwinFletcher
03-02-2017, 07:35 AM
Will Markus Howard be the Freshman of the Year? I know the SJU guards have been really good and Patton as well. I just think some huge games by Howard might give him the nod.

Also, for those who follow National Reporters on social media, do you see a lot of comments about MH? I really haven't seen a lot, but I may be missing it.

DCwarrior
03-02-2017, 07:50 AM
Delgado is the one Big East player I would most like to see on our team. Put Delgado on MU's roster and we're a top-15 team. His toughness and rebounding is precisely what we don't have.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-02-2017, 08:12 AM
Will Markus Howard be the Freshman of the Year? I know the SJU guards have been really good and Patton as well. I just think some huge games by Howard might give him the nod.

I've been surprised to see some people not even putting Howard on their freshman first team. Lots of love for Ponds, LoVett, Baldwin, Powell, and Patton. Personally I think it's insane to leave him off the first team, but there's a decent number of quality freshmen in the league.

Goose85
03-02-2017, 08:39 AM
I've been surprised to see some people not even putting Howard on their freshman first team. Lots of love for Ponds, LoVett, Baldwin, Powell, and Patton. Personally I think it's insane to leave him off the first team, but there's a decent number of quality freshmen in the league.

That bodes well for the league, as I think Patton is the only one that should be going to the League after this season.
Big East overall might be even better next year. Funny, one team I think could be a bit worse than this year - DePaul.

IWB
03-02-2017, 08:45 AM
I would have said Hart for sure, but reading that Delgado has 16 double doubles in 17 games and 13.9 rebounds per game? That is a big time stat. As Phantom pointed out, Martin and Gaston are tied for second with 6.6rpg. Add both of those two together and you still don't have as many as Delgado. While Hart will get it, Delgado deserves something for that.

Looking back, the current Big East record is held by Dejuan Blair, who averaged 12.3 per game. Add that to 15.7 ppg and he was Big East POY.

D. Blair: 12.3 rpg + 15.7 ppg = Big East POY
Delgado: 13.9rpg + 16.2 ppg = Runner Up?

Phantom Warrior
03-02-2017, 09:13 AM
I'm not sure the BE has a "first-team all-freshman team."

I may be wrong, but I think they put as many on the team as they think deserve the honor. I belive I have seen six on the team some years and even seven.

My guess is that there will be at least six - Markus, Ponds, LoVett, Patton, Baldwin, and Powell - and that Sam could also make the team as he has had more of an impact than players like Cyrus of DePaul, Diallo of Providence, Mosely of GTown, and Goodin of Xavier.

It will, however, be interesting to see how the league deals with DiVincenzo of Nova, who is, technically, a freshman even though he played in a few games last year (74 minutes) before being out for the season with an injury. His stats are not all that impressive, but he has been averaging over 25 mpg in BE games, and he has been an important part of that team's success. Not sure how he will be viewed when it comes time to select the all-frosh team.

Goose85
03-02-2017, 09:46 AM
I would have said Hart for sure, but reading that Delgado has 16 double doubles in 17 games and 13.9 rebounds per game? That is a big time stat. As Phantom pointed out, Martin and Gaston are tied for second with 6.6rpg. Add both of those two together and you still don't have as many as Delgado. While Hart will get it, Delgado deserves something for that.

Looking back, the current Big East record is held by Dejuan Blair, who averaged 12.3 per game. Add that to 15.7 ppg and he was Big East POY.

D. Blair: 12.3 rpg + 15.7 ppg = Big East POY
Delgado: 13.9rpg + 16.2 ppg = Runner Up?

Wow, those are some impressive numbers. I haven't seen his name in any mock drafts so I think he will be back.
I'd have to give him some consideration based on those numbers.