PDA

View Full Version : ESPN shutting down high school coverage

GOMU1104
06-13-2012, 04:43 PM
According to John Ourand of the Sports Business Journal:

"SBD: ESPN is shutting down its high school business, a move that will result in nearly 75 people losing their jobs across the country."

Wonder what happens to Telep.

warriorfan4life
06-13-2012, 05:05 PM
Weird move by ESPN as there is definitely still a market for this. Going by Telep's Twitter, it does not affect the recruiting stuff as of now.

bleedbluegold03
06-14-2012, 04:58 PM
I respectfully disagree warriorfan4life. Outside of a UNC or Duke commit those games are hardly watched by college basketball fans. ESPN is looking for content that a channel surfer would stop and watch and I think HS basketball is far, far from that.

warriorfan4life
06-14-2012, 08:35 PM
I respectfully disagree warriorfan4life. Outside of a UNC or Duke commit those games are hardly watched by college basketball fans. ESPN is looking for content that a channel surfer would stop and watch and I think HS basketball is far, far from that.

I would agree that there is more of a market for football, as that is where the rabid following of college football fans trickles down (plus the rabid following of high school football in the South). Still though there is a built in following from the rabid fans of Kentucky, Duke, UNC, Indiana, Louisvillle, etc.