PDA

View Full Version : Will Vander Blue ever get a shot?

IWB
02-08-2017, 12:08 PM
Vander Blue is once again playing for the LA Defenders. Blue was just named to the D-League All Star Game for the third straight year.

Here is what the release on the Defenders' website says...

"...the former Marquette star ranks third among all players in scoring with 24.8 points per game. Overall, Blue has established himself as one of the most lethal scorers the D-League has ever seen totaling 3,662 points, that is good for sixth all time."

Ok, I know the D-League is a far cry from the actual league, but every year the Lakers add and drop guards and Van does not get a shot. Does he not deserve a shot?

Goose85
02-08-2017, 01:17 PM
At some point he needs to decide if he should just go overseas and make some money, as the D League doesn't pay much.

Question with the D League. Now that most teams have a D League affiliate, is Vander tied to the Lakers, or during the season can he get a chance with other teams?

Nukem2
02-08-2017, 01:21 PM
I would agree he should look for more lucrative options overseas. That may not fit his lifestyle outlook and he has that (fading) NBA dream. But, that's his decision.

IWB
02-08-2017, 01:33 PM
Yes and no.

A guy like Henry is under contract with the NBA team that signed him, so players like Henry are in the D-League under assignment. They obviously cannot be signed.

Other players, like Blue, are actually under contract with the league, not the team, so yes, I believe anyone can pick them up.

TheSultan
02-08-2017, 01:40 PM
It's hard to answer the question if he deserves a shot. He clearly has performed very well. But I think his ceiling isn't very high.

2012Warrior
02-08-2017, 03:17 PM
Didn't he go overseas for like 5 games this year before coming back to the D-League? I wonder if there are non basketball reasons for him not going overseas.

Nukem2
02-08-2017, 03:22 PM
Didn't he go overseas for like 5 games this year before coming back to the D-League? I wonder if there are non basketball reasons for him not going overseas.Could be, that's what I was alluding to earlier here.

TheSultan
02-08-2017, 03:26 PM
Didn't he go overseas for like 5 games this year before coming back to the D-League? I wonder if there are non basketball reasons for him not going overseas.

He went to a team that plays in the Chinese second division (Chinese NBL). For some reason that league plays on an calendar that is off cycle to the regular Chinese Basketball Association, so he was there for the end of that season. The Chinese CBA is where the money is.

I was thinking that his agent set it up as more or less a tryout for the CBA, but no team offered him so he came home.

NBL: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Basketball_League_(China)

CBA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Basketball_Association

Markedman
07-29-2017, 12:03 PM
Congrats to Vander https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/891342735290060800

Sources: The Lakers and G League MVP and summer league guard Vander Blue have agreed on a partially guaranteed deal.

Nukem2
07-29-2017, 01:01 PM
Hopefully, the partial guarantee will net him some $$$. In any event, it's up to Vander now to take advantage. Hoping he can stick around for a few years.

MUMac
07-29-2017, 01:44 PM
Good for Vander! Now he gets an opportunity.