PDA

View Full Version : Lottery or Playoffs?

mufan2003
02-06-2017, 03:10 PM
The Bucks are 22-28. 6 games back of the #6 seed and a 1/2 game back of the #8 seed in the East. Would you rather see the Bucks get into the playoffs or in the lottery? I would choose playoffs for a couple of reasons:

(1) The Bucks will have 32 games with Khris Middleton back in the lineup (starting Wednesday). It may take some time to get back to where he was, but he has proven to be a consistent scorer from mid-range and beyond the arc (averaging just over 18 ppg last season). A nice compliment to Giannis and Jabari.

(2) A very deep draft, but also a lot of uncertainty with so many one-and-done players. There have been very good NBA players drafted in the late teens of the first round. Giannis was selected at #15. If the Bucks make the lottery, they will likely draft at #12, #13 or #14. Not likely to get a Top 10 pick.

(3) The Plumlee for Hibbert/Hawes trade seems to indicate the Bucks want to also use Free Agency to build a championship roster. Clearly a move to free up cap space. Giannis and Jabari have reached a level of play that will attract free agents. Being a playoff team could be an important selling point to win over a free agent.

(4) The Miami Heat, a bad team, recently won 10 games in a row. Could the Bucks go on a winning streak with Middleton? If so, they could potentially get as high as 5th or 6th in the East. With Giannis, Parker and Middleton....the Bucks could pull off an upset as a #6 or #7 seed. Just avoid the #8 seed and having to play Cleveland.

Goose85
02-06-2017, 03:46 PM
I go back and forth on this one.
I would lean toward making the playoffs assuming our pick would be in the low teens. Picks in that area rarely become Giannis and are more likely not future impact players, and I think this team could really benefit by getting some playoff experience.

I also think your point of getting space for a free agent might help the Bucks build in more ways than just hoping they hit on the 14th pick or get another Brogdan in the draft.

This year I won't be disappointed with either scenario. Next year I would be very disappointed if we are not a playoff team.

Kidd Karma
02-07-2017, 04:29 PM
The future is here in Giannis, Jabari and Middleton. You go all in, make the playoffs, get that experience. Just look at the SuperBowl, Falcons lost because of inexperience, from a 2nd year OC to a team loaded with guys having less than 5 years experience. You get this group a sniff in the postseason. A top 5 pick is out of reach, unless we really decide to throw in the towel and play 100 ball the rest of the way. Which in my mind is bad for Giannis and Jabari, if management, coaches don't care about winning, why should I. The best investment is win now. These kids are young and developing habits now will go a long way 2-3 years from now.

Say you tank it, minimum 8-24 is even a major stretch for this group. That'd leave us at 30-52. .366 ball, which slides us in at the 6th spot........ehhh, but that'd take a major slump, holding Jabari and Giannis out every other night. Get a small chance at a Lonzo Ball, Markelle Fultz, Josh Jackson??? It would be interesting, but 8-24 is a stretch.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-07-2017, 06:48 PM
You make a run for the playoffs, It's too late to truly tank and a pick in the 6-10 range is just as much of a crap shoot as picks 11-20. The Bucks need to go out and get an above average veteran who can defend and who can be an experienced leader. Giannis, Jabari, and Khris are all good and young, but don't know what it's like to win yet, that's why Wade appealed to me this offseason.

CaribouJim
02-08-2017, 01:11 PM
Without question the playoffs.

mufan2003
02-08-2017, 09:56 PM
Jabari's injury tonight did not look good. Saw a tweet from a medical expert associated with the NBA....he thinks it is an ACL. Would be terrible if true and would practically eliminate any playoff ambitions.

MU/Panther
02-08-2017, 10:04 PM
Same old Bucks. Hello crappy one and done.

mufansince72
02-09-2017, 12:01 AM
First off best wishes to Jabari. With that said, the Bucks have been playing bad even with Jabari. I think a coaching change is in order.

mufan2003
02-09-2017, 02:58 PM
Same old Bucks. Hello crappy one and done.

After Jabari's injury I am all in on tanking now. Get as many ping-pong balls as possible.

Kidd Karma
02-09-2017, 03:42 PM
After Jabari's injury I am all in on tanking now. Get as many ping-pong balls as possible.

Agreed. At this point a win is actually a loss. Middleton to start this year and 50 games next year minus Parker. Trade Monroe, Hawes. Clear the way for Thon to basically eat all the center minutes. Accelerate his experience curve.

mufan2003
02-09-2017, 03:58 PM
Agreed. At this point a win is actually a loss. Middleton to start this year and 50 games next year minus Parker. Trade Monroe, Hawes. Clear the way for Thon to basically eat all the center minutes. Accelerate his experience curve.

Good point. Looking on the positive side, this is a perfect opportunity to give him consistent minutes. He should get some time on the court each game.

Goose85
02-09-2017, 04:39 PM
Give Maker more minutes. If Hibbert is not in next seasons plan, don't play him.

I was in the make the playoffs camp, but now I am changing to the get a lottery pick camp. Always a good idea to pick the best player, but in our case I hope he is a forward to provide depth for Parker.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-09-2017, 06:15 PM
Definitely in the lottery camp now, this injury could very well be the end of Parker as we know him, that would significantly hurt he Bucks future plans, may want to aim for the lottery to try and add a PG for the future.

mufansince72
02-09-2017, 09:48 PM
Definitely in the lottery camp now, this injury could very well be the end of Parker as we know him, that would significantly hurt he Bucks future plans, may want to aim for the lottery to try and add a PG for the future.

I feel bad for Jabari. With that said, I think the Bucks need to plan for the future and not count on him as a building block. If he comes back in a year or so he should be a nice piece off the bench. I think the Bucks were probably pretty close to offering him for a long term mega deal. Unfortunately I don't think you can look to the future with Jabari as a major piece.