PDA

View Full Version : UConn still exploring joining the Big East

milwaukeejedi1
02-06-2017, 09:31 AM
http://www.fanragsports.com/cbb/rothstein-files-30-thoughts-college-basketball-heats/

"UConn will heavily explore joining another league in the offseason: The Huskies have battled injuries this season en route to a 10-12 record, but their overall cache as a program also isn’t quite what it was when they were operating in the old Big East. Kevin Ollie led UConn to a national title in 2014, but the Huskies’ brand still belongs on a bigger stage. Sources have told FanRag Sports that UConn has consistently looked into joining the Big East as a basketball only member as long as it could find another home for its football program....."

MU/Panther
02-06-2017, 09:48 AM
I would really like UConn in the Big East!!

Nukem2
02-06-2017, 09:49 AM
And, Ollie won that title with Calhoun's guys. I would go for UConn and a 20 game schedule. But, they need to find a home for FB.

MU/Panther
02-06-2017, 09:58 AM
UConn could also go independent for football.

Nukem2
02-06-2017, 10:01 AM
UConn could also go independent for football.Sure, but it would be extremely difficult to fill out a reasonable schedule and a path to the playoffs. Even Notre Dame has a FB "alliance" with the ACC now.

TheSultan
02-06-2017, 10:29 AM
And BYU is struggling with their independence as well. But it isn't impossible.

The problem is, I just don't know where else they could park football. The P5 conferences will have no interest. The AAC will tell them to pound sand. So then you are looking at conferences like CUSA (out of their geographical area) and the MAC (who booted UMass as a football only member last year.) Independence in the short term might be the best option.

But at the end of the day, I just don't think they will be able to have both BE membership and a viable football program.

MU/Panther
02-06-2017, 10:29 AM
Sure, but it would be extremely difficult to fill out a reasonable schedule and a path to the playoffs. Even Notre Dame has a FB "alliance" with the ACC now.

"Group of 5" schools have really no chance at the CFP. For many of these schools, it's about the FBS level money. UMass, BYU and Army are also the other independents besides Notre Dame. New Mexico State will be an independent. (I believe in 2018).

Nukem2
02-06-2017, 10:33 AM

The problem is, I just don't know where else they could park football. The P5 conferences will have no interest. The AAC will tell them to pound sand. So then you are looking at conferences like CUSA (out of their geographical area) and the MAC (who booted UMass as a football only member last year.) Independence in the short term might be the best option.

But at the end of the day, I just don't think they will be able to have both BE membership and a viable football program.Agreed. To join the BE would probably mean FB would have to drop to a lower level. But, UConn is heavily invested in FB. Love to have UConn, but its probably not in the cards.

MU/Panther
02-06-2017, 10:35 AM

How so? There schedule has much more high profiled schools like Michigan, UCLA, Wisconsin, Miss State, Nebraska, Cincinnati, East Carolina. On ESPN much more.

BYU get around $800,000 and $1.2 million per home game -- considerably more" than the $1.3-1.5M the school earn annually from the Mountain West's television arrangement.

TheSultan
02-06-2017, 10:39 AM
How so? There schedule has much more high profiled schools like Michigan, UCLA, Wisconsin, Miss State, Nebraska, Cincinnati, East Carolina. On ESPN much more.

BYU get around $800,000 and $1.2 million per home game -- considerably more" than the $1.3-1.5M the school earn annually from the Mountain West's television arrangement.

Short term it is fine. Long term they don't find it sustainable.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/4494020-155/byu-athletics-big-12-says-no

Goose85
02-06-2017, 10:40 AM
"Group of 5" schools have really no chance at the CFP. For many of these schools, it's about the FBS level money. UMass, BYU and Army are also the other independents besides Notre Dame. New Mexico State will be an independent. (I believe in 2018).

The best shot the "Group of 5" have at a FBS playoffs is if or when the college football playoff is expanded to 8 teams from 4. Only then could I see this happening.

The problem UConn will have is many of the top 5 conferences have now gone to 9 game conference schedules, leaving just 3 non conference games. Many play one non conference rival or schedule a made for TV neutral site game, with the other two games being 'buy games'.

Very hard right now for an independent to fill up a schedule.

Gonzaga is able to continually play hoops at a high level and get national exposure, UConn should be able to do the same.

MU/Panther
02-06-2017, 10:46 AM
Short term it is fine. Long term they don't find it sustainable.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/4494020-155/byu-athletics-big-12-says-no

That link is them wanting to get into the Big 12. Well, as of now the Big 12 will stay at 10 schools. So, BYU is better of as an independent than join the Mt. West.

TheSultan
02-06-2017, 10:54 AM
That link is them wanting to get into the Big 12. Well, as of now the Big 12 will stay at 10 schools. So, BYU is better of as an independent than join the Mt. West.

OK, I see what you are saying in terms of a parallel.

mufan2003
02-06-2017, 02:29 PM
I would like to see UConn join and go to a 20-game double round-robin conference schedule. However, as an article earlier in the season pointed out, there would have to be a "gargantuan exit fee" to go along with them joining. An amount that would make it practically unbearable to leave. If UConn doesn't like it, then the Big East doesn't want them.

Goose85
02-06-2017, 03:07 PM
I really like our conference as it is right now.

To consider adding UConn it would have to mean more money for each school from a TV deal standpoint, and I'm not sure UConn would bring much added money from the TV folks.

Is FoxSports going to give the Big East something like $10 million or more per year just to add UConn? There just isn't that much money in college hoops TV, especially for a school like UConn.

I'm also not sure why UConn thinks they can just join the Big East if they want to do so.
Message for UConn, the Big East is doing pretty well without you, and if you were to want in it is up to the Big East, not up to UConn to decide.

I'm ok without UConn and the current round robin format.

MU/Panther
02-06-2017, 03:24 PM
Well, in 2013 it was reported that if the Big East went to 12 schools, it would jump from $500 to $600 million in the TV deal.

Going from 18 to 20 conference games in a HUGE plus for any network. In the case of the Big East, that would mean 20 less crappy non-conference games on FS1, FS2, FSN.

CaribouJim
02-06-2017, 03:43 PM
Well, in 2013 it was reported that if the Big East went to 12 schools, it would jump from $500 to $600 million in the TV deal.

Going from 18 to 20 conference games in a HUGE plus for any network. In the case of the Big East, that would mean 20 less crappy non-conference games on FS1, FS2, FSN.

...and less high profile non-conference games. 20 confeence games are too incenstious IMO. You can still have an 18 game schedule with 11 teams. You don't have to play EVERY team twice in the same season.

Nukem2
02-06-2017, 03:48 PM
...and less high profile non-conference games. 20 confeence games are too incenstious IMO. You can still have an 18 game schedule with 11 teams. You don't have to play EVERY team twice in the same season.
Maybe fewer low profile NC games?;)

Goose85
02-06-2017, 03:50 PM

Over what period of time is the additional the TV deal? If it is 10 year deal, then the additional $100 million does not result in a change in per team income.
I would really be hesitant to add schools to the conference if there was no more money for the existing schools.

Mucrisco
02-06-2017, 04:32 PM
I really like our conference as it is right now.

To consider adding UConn it would have to mean more money for each school from a TV deal standpoint, and I'm not sure UConn would bring much added money from the TV folks.

Is FoxSports going to give the Big East something like $10 million or more per year just to add UConn? There just isn't that much money in college hoops TV, especially for a school like UConn.

I'm also not sure why UConn thinks they can just join the Big East if they want to do so.
Message for UConn, the Big East is doing pretty well without you, and if you were to want in it is up to the Big East, not up to UConn to decide.

I'm ok without UConn and the current round robin format.

Agreed. Adding UConn now does not excite me at all.

Furthermore, would UConn be in it for the long haul, or would they continually be looking to jet to one of the power football conferences?

TedBaxter
02-06-2017, 04:42 PM

Yes you do. One of the huge selling points for players, coaches and fans. Legitimate champion every year.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
02-06-2017, 04:43 PM
I would be all in favor of adding UConn. It adds another two guaranteed quality games. Further, we could expect to see this as our likely every year schedule:

20 conference games
4 exempt tourney games (usually 2-3 high majors)
2 additional high majors (Wisconsin and Gavitt)
5 additional games (dealer's choice)

Obviously the fear would be what those 5 additional end up being, but that would likely limit us to a maximum of 7 cupcakes in any given year (including exempt tourney, and guessing 7 would be very rare) and I would guess would more likely lead to 4-6 cupcakes. Get a neutral site and a H/H along with a 3-game exempt tourney, you're looking at 4 cupcake games.

My guess is the average would be 5 cupcake/buy games. Considering we've had 16 such games in just the past two years, I think UConn would be a welcome addition. I imagine it would be a profile boost for their program as well (as it has been for Butler, Creighton, and Xavier).

Also, if nothing else, it would be absolutely amusing to see UConn come crawling back after all the back-and-forth as they tried to flee. What's that? You tried going it on your own with your fancy new football conference and it all went ass-end-up on you? So sorry, now kiss the ring, here's hoping you can raise your current status above DePaul.

MU/Panther
02-06-2017, 06:35 PM
Over what period of time is the additional the TV deal? If it is 10 year deal, then the additional $100 million does not result in a change in per team income.
I would really be hesitant to add schools to the conference if there was no more money for the existing schools.The Big East/FS1 deal is a 12 year deal.

MU88
02-06-2017, 11:01 PM
The article was a prediction, not a statement. No way UConn leaves AAC for the Big East. According to their 2015 filing, the AAC has $19 million in revenue from TV, radio, etc. The BE has a bit over $30 million. The AAC had over $46 million in NCAA grants (including $24 million from the Basketball fund and $6 million in grants), while the BE had $11 million (with only $4 million coming from the bball fund). The extra funding from the bball fund appears to be going to to the former BE schools as payback. Plus, the conference is burning through cash reserves at a rate of about $10-$11 million per year, probably for the same reason. I would guess ACC conference revenues will stabilize around $55 million per year in a couple years, or just under $5 million per member (after Navy gets a share). BE revenue, which is around $47 million now, will probably jump to around $60 million or so when the conference starts receiving a full 6 year share of its NCAA credits, or about $6 million per school.

While UConn may make a few bucks peddling its football program as an independent or in a lesser conference, it certainly doesn't make sense to jump to the BE for an extra $1 million per year, when you have a significant exit fee with the AAC. Plus, I am sure the AAC is hoping that its tv contract will improve during the next negotiation. So, unless FOX throws a ton of cash to provide incentive for UConn to switch conferences, which I doubt, I don't see any reason for UConn to make the switch. Further, UConn can't survive as in independent like BYU. It doesn't have a worldwide following like BYU. Majors aren't coming to Storrs to play in a 44,000 seat stadium.

The article is pure speculation and I don't believe it.

TheSultan
02-07-2017, 08:37 AM
The article wasn't just pure speculation. It had this: "Sources have told FanRag Sports that UConn has consistently looked into joining the Big East as a basketball only member as long as it could find another home for its football program."

Now ultimately you are very likely correct. UConn isn't going anywhere because, while they aren't happy with their current situations and have looked at alternatives, the AAC is the best place they can be right now.

Goose85
02-07-2017, 08:51 AM
By adding UConn, the current Big East schools would get no extra money. No way would I add two teams without a guaranteed bump in revenue for existing Big East schools (using the previously mentioned extra $100 million over 12 year figure).

02-07-2017, 10:04 AM
I disagree that current schools wouldn't see a money bump. Add UConn but give them a smaller share to start. Right now UConn gets what, about $1.5M per year as a full member of the AAC? Come here as a full member, pay them 80% to start, and they still make almost a million more, and that's without any money they get once they figure out what to do with football. Even if they tried independent I'd guess they'd more than double their television revenue by joining us.

With the 20% share, give a 2% boost to the C7, a 1% boost to the other 3, and put the remaining 3% in the league coffers. Everyone wins.

Goose85
02-07-2017, 10:46 AM
I disagree that current schools wouldn't see a money bump. Add UConn but give them a smaller share to start. Right now UConn gets what, about $1.5M per year as a full member of the AAC? Come here as a full member, pay them 80% to start, and they still make almost a million more, and that's without any money they get once they figure out what to do with football. Even if they tried independent I'd guess they'd more than double their television revenue by joining us.

With the 20% share, give a 2% boost to the C7, a 1% boost to the other 3, and put the remaining 3% in the league coffers. Everyone wins.

Basketball just isn't worth much, so I am not sure moving UConn to the Big East would result in Fox wanting to pay a bunch more money.
Does UConn move the TV needle so much so that they are worth at least $5 million per year to Fox?

I'm just skeptical that UConn is worth much from a TV contract standpoint.

TheSultan
02-07-2017, 11:16 AM
Basketball just isn't worth much, so I am not sure moving UConn to the Big East would result in Fox wanting to pay a bunch more money.
Does UConn move the TV needle so much so that they are worth at least $5 million per year to Fox?

I'm just skeptical that UConn is worth much from a TV contract standpoint.

Ultimately I agree with your conclusion. But it isn't just about moving the needle, it's about providing better content. If you have 10 teams playing a full round robin, that's 90 conference games. If you have 11 teams playing a full round robin, its 110 conference games. Are those 20 extra games a year, plus the non-conference games that UConn would bring, worth $5 million more than the programming already in place on FS1 and FS2?

I suspect the answer is no.

MU_Iceman
02-07-2017, 12:17 PM
UConn is never going to be much in football anyway, and if I remember right that state/school has HUGE financial issues...Might be best in the long term to get out of D1 football(or football altogether).

CaribouJim
02-07-2017, 12:48 PM
If the opportunity presents itself for UCONN to be added to the Big East, not overthinking it would be advisable IMO. Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.

DCwarrior
02-07-2017, 03:04 PM
If the opportunity presents itself for UCONN to be added to the Big East, not overthinking it would be advisable IMO. Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Absolutely. It's a no-brainer to add UCONN. They're a top-10 team in terms of National prominence and historical success (at least the last 30 years). I'd add them even if each school has to take a little less in FS1 money. The conference would likely make that up in NCAA tournament credits over the long run. As long as they're willing to sign an expensive exit agreement, I'd be all in.

02-07-2017, 04:07 PM
Absolutely. It's a no-brainer to add UCONN. They're a top-10 team in terms of National prominence and historical success (at least the last 30 years). I'd add them even if each school has to take a little less in FS1 money. The conference would likely make that up in NCAA tournament credits over the long run. As long as they're willing to sign an expensive exit agreement, I'd be all in.

If it weren't obvious, I'd echo this. You can count on one hand the number of teams with more national titles than UConn, and none of those teams would ever have interest in joining our league. They are the biggest possible program we could get (only Notre Dame even comes close, and I don't think that'd ever happen) and they should be a no-brainer if it is ever financially viable.

MU/Panther
02-15-2017, 09:53 AM
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/831889764735397889

CaribouJim
02-15-2017, 09:56 AM
Great to hear.

ge1974
02-15-2017, 03:09 PM
Make them pay an entry fee too.

TheSultan
02-15-2017, 04:16 PM
Make them pay an entry fee too.

Usually these things work by not giving the incoming school full share for a couple of years.