PDA

View Full Version : Projected All-Conference Teams?

Phantom Warrior
01-31-2017, 09:11 AM
Most teams are at roughly the half-way point in the conference season, so it seems like a good time to project to possible all-conference selections.

Things are a bit complicated this year compared to some others given the injuries to Watson and Sumner. I'm not sure what the criteria are, or even if there are criteria, for being selected to the all-conference team in terms of number of games played. I think Watson was a shoo-in first-team selection, and I think Sumner had a very good chance of making at least second team.

But I'm going to assume that neither will be selected for the all-BE teams.

I'm curious which players posters would select to the first team (five members) and second team (five members). Yes, I know that the first team all-BE team always includes six players, but that makes no sense to me.

In terms of parameters, I figure that both the first team of five and the second team of five should have a point guard and a post player and three other players who normally play the 2, 3, and/or 4 on their regular team.

After putting together the first team and the second team, maybe add a five-player honorable mention team for a total of 15 players. For that team, let's just go with the next five best players regardless of position.

All selections should be based on performance during the conference portion of the season only.

Anyone want to project?

AlexJesswein
01-31-2017, 09:34 AM
POY: Hart--Villanova

1st Team:
Brunson--Villanova
Foster--Creighton
Martin--Butler
Bluiett--Xavier
Delgado--Seton Hall

2nd Team:
Cartright--Providence
Pryor--Georgetown
Lovett--SJU
Reinhardt--Marquette
Patton--Creighton

Phantom Warrior
01-31-2017, 11:12 AM
Would love to see KR end up being second team all-conference, but I don't see it at this point.

Hard to disagree with any of your other selections as I believe all would be in the running, but I think I'd add Rodriguez to the second team as he is leading the conference in scoring (18.6ppg) and has dramatically improved his three-point shooting (49.0% with 3.1 made treys per game). He is also a decent rebounder (4.4 rpg), and he works his ass off on defense. I think he's been more consistent - at least so far - than Blueitt, Martin, or even Pryor.

IWB
01-31-2017, 12:55 PM
I like your list though I don't think Kaitin makes it, maybe replace him with Bullock from Providence.

Also in contention Shamorie Ponds SJU and Carrington from Seton Hall.

mufan2003
01-31-2017, 02:38 PM
I realize he may not have the numbers, but if I were putting 5 guys together from the Big East to play 5 guys picked from every other major conference, I would easily take Mikal Bridges. Hart and Bridges at the forward spots with their length, athleticism and ability to play on both ends of the floor.

Brunson
Foster
Hart
Bridges
Patton

AlexJesswein
01-31-2017, 04:21 PM
Part of my reasoning is I had a hard time picking two guys from Prov,SHU, or SJU without taking a single MU guy.

In BE play, Reinhardt is Top-25 in scoring, just outside the top 10 in assists, top in assist/TO ratio and top 10 in 3P%. Luke may be more 'valuable' to MU due to size and lack of replacements but Reinhardt has been our best player since BE play began.

http://www.bigeast.com/custompages/sports/m-baskbl/2016-2017/confonly.htm#conf.wki

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
01-31-2017, 07:06 PM
I'm never sure if I should include the POY on the first team, they usually end up with him and 5 others for a 6 man first team, right? I always go positionally, however. Anyway...

Player of the Year: Josh Hart, Villanova

First Team

PG: Jalen Brunson, Villanova
SG: Marcus Foster, Creighton
SF: Trevon Blueitt, Xavier
PF: Kris Jenkins, Villanova
C: Justin Patton, Creighton

Second Team

PG: Marcus LoVett, St. John's
SG: Rodney Pryor, Georgetown
SF: Katin Reinhardt, Marquette
PF: Andrew Chrabascz, Butler
C: Angel Delgado, Seton Hall

Third Team

PG: Kyron Cartwright, Providence
SG: Khadeen Carrington, Seton Hall
SF: Kelan Martin, Butler
PF: Rodney Bullock, Providence
C: Luke Fischer, Marquette

01-31-2017, 07:12 PM
Part of my reasoning is I had a hard time picking two guys from Prov,SHU, or SJU without taking a single MU guy.

In BE play, Reinhardt is Top-25 in scoring, just outside the top 10 in assists, top in assist/TO ratio and top 10 in 3P%. Luke may be more 'valuable' to MU due to size and lack of replacements but Reinhardt has been our best player since BE play began.

http://www.bigeast.com/custompages/sports/m-baskbl/2016-2017/confonly.htm#conf.wki

This is exactly right. Honestly, I could make an argument for Reinhardt over Jenkins on the first team as the PF. Reinhardt has been fantastic since league play started. 5th in ORtg, 8th in eFG%, 8th in 3P%. His basic stats of 13.3 ppg/2.8 rpg/3 apg in conference play are very good. If he had a usage rate similar to how he started the season with the same metrics, he'd be a first-teamer, but with his usage rate down, he just isn't quite there (and slotting him as a 3).

And while Luke may be more valuable, I just have a tough time putting him ahead of Patton and Delgado.

IWB
02-01-2017, 09:17 AM
Good call on Crab-Ass Alan, forgot about him.

02-01-2017, 11:29 AM
Good call on Crab-Ass Alan, forgot about him.

Yeah, the numbers may not support him being there, but he does so many little things. Maybe the best unsung player in the league.

AlexJesswein
02-03-2017, 02:16 PM
http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2017/2/3/14501590/big-east-season-awards-post-january-josh-hart-justin-patton-jay-wright-chris-holtmann