PDA

View Full Version : Tweet from Mike Broeker

milkbone
06-12-2012, 05:28 PM
Marquette Athletics ‏@muathletics
Reminder: It's against NCAA rules to tweet @, RT, or direct message recruits. Please leave the recruiting to our coaches. #mubb

IWB
06-12-2012, 05:31 PM
I think what that was referring to, was that one of the committed recruits tweeted for MU fans to show some love for a recruit that recently visited.

A few season ticket holders took him up on that - Not a good idea.

TulsaWarrior
06-12-2012, 05:37 PM
That reminder needs to be re-posted regularly.

IWB
06-12-2012, 05:42 PM
What bothers me about it, is not this, but how many times you really see it out there. Facebook, Twitter....seems the larger the program the more it happens. I remember one in particular that bothered me, yet still cracks me up. It was a Duke? or UNC? guy. he was hitting up a recruit on Facebook. It was something like, "What up baller? We could really use your skillz at Duke/UNC. Come on baller, be part of the Duke/UNC? nation!

The reason why it killed me, is that I looked at the guy's Facebook profile. White guy, shirt & tie, mid 40s, married, a couple of kids.... "What up baller?" Yeah, your message is sure to draw him in.

mufansince72
06-12-2012, 06:23 PM
Guilty, I will have to stop retweeting.

IWB
06-12-2012, 06:39 PM
I don't think re-tweeting is an issue, it is the direct messages.

2013UnleashTheBeast
06-12-2012, 07:06 PM
Then why did Broeker specifically say it was an issue in the original post?

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
06-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Question someone here might know an answer to. What about JUCO and transfer recruits? Like Jameel McKay or Trent Lockett? They haven't enrolled at MU, but also don't seem like they'd fall under NCAA restrictions for high school players as they've already played college ball.

IWB
06-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Until they are in school full time, they are still "prospects", or recruit-able athletes as far as alum/booster contact goes.

In the tweets I saw today, at least one person shad sent a message directly to the prospect. Not a re-tweet, but a "Hey I'm a season ticket holder" message.

06-12-2012, 09:29 PM
So does that mean you can't tweet guys from opposing teams? Like when Jordan Taylor went crazy about how "Marquette still ain't <bleep>"? Wouldn't any opposing player be a potential recruit? And while recruited here, it seems like per letter of the law, a Rodney Hood, Dorian Finney-Smith, or even Trent Lockett would fall under the same category as a Jordan Taylor.

All these Twitter rules seem very confusing.

IWB
06-12-2012, 09:31 PM
When Jordan Taylor did that, he wasn't a prospect, was he? Wasn't he already playing at that time? Not to mention, he was not an MU prospect.

2012Warrior
06-12-2012, 09:35 PM
Has a recruit ever been ruled ineligible for a school due to Twitter or FB? I just find it tough to believe due to the difficulty to police it. For example, if I retweet an Evan Daniels tweet that says "Diamond Stone was the best player at the camp" and I RT and add, I hope he comes to MU, is that a violation? I didn't use his Twitter handle. I guess I just have a tough time seeing where they draw the line, especially having the ease to create fake accounts. I won't tweet a recruit or anything like that, but stuff like that I wonder about.

IWB
06-12-2012, 09:46 PM
Commenting on an Even Daniels tweet and hoping the kid goes to MU is not an issue.

Sending something directly to a recruit, @JoeRecruit, or "JoeRecruit, MU would be perfect for you" - that is an issue.

Has a recruit been penalized? No, but Boosters have - I saw a booster from an SEC school get b-slapped and banned from events.

I believe the NCAA has a group that scours the internet just to find issues like these - hell, MLB created MLBAM (Major League Baseball Advanced Media). It is a division the MLB ownership group whose original purpose was to scour the internet for people illegally posting content, photos, interviews that "belonged" to MLB. When I was at the Journal we had several letters from them detailing what was allowed and what was not.

Easiest rule of thumb, if you wonder if there is something wrong with it - be safe and just don't do it.

This also really makes me wonder if there is an issue with a parent of a recruit posting things on message boards all day - not sure about that one.

06-12-2012, 09:58 PM
When Jordan Taylor did that, he wasn't a prospect, was he? Wasn't he already playing at that time? Not to mention, he was not an MU prospect.

But what if I had tweeted Lockett back in December? Do the rules change when a guy graduates, or announces he's considering transferring? Are all JUCOs off limits, or just ones we've been mentioned with? If it's a Rodney Hood, who we haven't been mentioned with that I've seen in his second recruitment, can Marquette fans tweet him? Just seems like rules with transfers and JUCOs are dicey.

IWB
06-12-2012, 10:14 PM
It is not dicey. According to the NCAA, transfers and Jucos are considered "prospects". Once a kid announces he is transferring, he is reclassified as a "prospect". Jucos have always been considered prospects. Nothing dicey about it, pretty cut & dry.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
06-12-2012, 11:26 PM
Like Jim said, it's pretty simple to figure out, it's really not worth it anyhow... That being said odds are nothing will come of it, but you certainly don't want to do anything that could put you or your season tickets or affiliation to Marquette in danger... In the end it's likely that your tweet isn't going to convince a recruit anyhow, just leave them alone.

ziggysfryboy
06-13-2012, 05:54 AM
The best thing to do is send $5 to UW athletics and then start tweeting at their recruits. :cool:

IWB
06-13-2012, 06:36 AM
The best thing to do is send $5 to UW athletics and then start tweeting at their recruits. :cool:

Ziggy - That post coupled with the Milwaukee's Best avatar - cracks me up man!

Goose85
06-13-2012, 08:36 AM
Koenig's old man posts a lot on the Badger message boards. If a badger fan responds to him on one of his posts they are contacting the parent of a recruit - my guess is that right there is a violation of NCAA rules.

bleedbluegold03
06-13-2012, 09:26 AM
in truth I don't think Marquette is enough in the national spotlight from a recruiting perspective (yet) and NCAA has alot bigger fish to fry aka Noel.

I completely respect Broeker in his tweet though and took down my retweets and I never directly mentioned a recruit

On the other hand, the guy who mentioned all three 2013 recruits and said "I'm a ticket holder and can't wait to see you all play" is an imbecile

IWB
06-13-2012, 09:34 AM
I didn't know that, was referring to a guy years ago who used to post all the time, e-mailed me & called me complaining about not having a prospect listed, not discussing him more..... only to find out it was a kid's dad.

06-13-2012, 10:45 AM
I'm all about tweeting the imbeciles and telling them to stop. Just sent a tweet to @tmpecus asking him to stop committing NCAA rules violations. Any others?

06-13-2012, 01:57 PM
Wow...never thought this might actually work...

@tmpecus Your tweets to Deonte Burton, Duane Wilson, and Jameel McKay are all NCAA recruiting violations. Please delete them and stop.

@brewcity77 Didn't realize. They are deleted.