PDA

View Full Version : OT: MU's Future Building Plans

Goose85
01-23-2017, 09:36 AM
Article in the Milwaukee Business Journal about MU's building plans.

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2017/01/23/see-marquette-universitys-600m-plan-to-transform.html

Gato78
01-23-2017, 09:43 AM
I have heard about these plans from MU people. It is a wonderful master plan and is needed to compete BUT where the hell will the money come from?

MU/Panther
01-23-2017, 10:09 AM
The bubble is up at Valley Field.

MUfan12
01-23-2017, 10:11 AM
It is a wonderful master plan and is needed to compete BUT where the hell will the money come from?

Have heard Lovell frustrates a lot of people at MU, for this reason. He'll have them announce these major initiatives without giving ample time to do the behind the scenes work. It's a marked change from Fr. Wild's style.

MayorBeluga
01-23-2017, 10:15 AM
I have heard about these plans from MU people. It is a wonderful master plan and is needed to compete BUT where the hell will the money come from?

What do you mean Gato? The days of tuition increasing at 2-3 times the rate of inflation will continue forever. So will the days of seemingly unlimited federal dollars flowing into higher education. Forever I tell ya!

Goose85
01-23-2017, 10:38 AM
I think residence halls can pay for the borrowing needed to build them in the form of room and board charges.

The other projects are fine in and of themselves, work on getting a major donor for the business school or new rec center, etc. Not sure how long the plan is, but getting multiple developments going at one time for a school MU's size is going to be more than challenging, especially why you are trying to build some type of major athletic facility that itself is expected to cost over $100 mil.

MU/Panther
01-23-2017, 11:36 AM
The bubble is up at Valley Field.
https://twitter.com/mikebroeker/status/823364372441530368

TedBaxter
01-24-2017, 05:54 AM
It's the way of the world in the college and university arms race. You need to keep up with other schools in enticing future students and faculty to want to make Marquette University home. If you don't look ahead and try to get current students, future students and alums excited about their school, you aren't going to keep up.

The AE firm I work for does as much UW System work as we can, so I look at the Master Plans for the UW System to see what is being planned and those plans can be competitive among UW schools, who are competing for the same students.

Not only do you want the best academic facilities, it's becoming more and more important for student living and recreation projects, so the new dorm project and the proposed recreation facility where McCormick is currently are on the front end of wants by students and future students. It's as much a recruiting tool as the athletic projects.

As Marquette alums you should understand where Lovell is going with the Master Plan and I see no problem with the plans being made public. In fact, I think it's a necessity to get these ideas out there so donations can be targeted to these projects by businesses and individual alums.