PDA

View Full Version : Seth Davis Weekly Hoop Thoughts

CaribouJim
01-09-2017, 04:12 PM
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/01/09/hoop-thoughts-home-court-advantage-baylor-kansas-villanova

- Interesting analysis on the decrease of the home court advantage. Slick Rick says TV's ultimately good influence on refs is a big component.

- "It’s getting harder and harder for big, sturdy but somewhat immobile centers to remain effective in today’s game. Call it the Trickle Down Warriors effect. I’m thinking specifically of Marquette’s 6' 11" Luke Fischer and Purdue’s 7'2" Isaac Haas. Those guys can put up decent numbers at times, but when their teams go up against opponents with smaller, quicker lineups, they basically disappear. Think about it: How often do you see a team that wants to play small adjust its lineup to match up better with a bigger team? It’s almost always the reverse."

- "I’ve been thinking that we haven’t been talking enough about Seton Hall. The Pirates are 12–3 and have three straight road games coming up at Marquette, Providence and Villanova. Betcha they win two of them."

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
01-09-2017, 06:10 PM
Surprised Seth thinks Seton Hall can beat Nova on the road.

warriorfan4life
01-09-2017, 06:16 PM
Surprised Seth thinks Seton Hall can beat Nova on the road.

I would bet on zero before two. They're dogs against us, significant dogs against Nova, and a toss-up at Providence

TheSultan
01-09-2017, 06:55 PM
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/01/09/hoop-thoughts-home-court-advantage-baylor-kansas-villanova
- "It’s getting harder and harder for big, sturdy but somewhat immobile centers to remain effective in today’s game. Call it the Trickle Down Warriors effect. I’m thinking specifically of Marquette’s 6' 11" Luke Fischer and Purdue’s 7'2" Isaac Haas. Those guys can put up decent numbers at times, but when their teams go up against opponents with smaller, quicker lineups, they basically disappear. Think about it: How often do you see a team that wants to play small adjust its lineup to match up better with a bigger team? It’s almost always the reverse."

I think the trends in both college and NBA show this is exactly the case. I thought Marquette was more effective on Saturday when they went small and spread the floor with shooters, but they didn't seem to want to stick with that.