PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday's Big East Schedule

MU/Panther
01-04-2017, 08:40 AM
Wednesday 1/4:
5:30 - 1 Villanova @ 18 Butler, FS1 - Joe Davis, Donny Marshall
Line: Villanova -2

6:00 - Georgetown @ Providence, CBSSN - Tom McCarthy, Steve Lappas, Jamie Erdahl
Line: Providence -3

7:45 - 10 Creighton @ St. John's, FS1 - Brian Custer, Jim Spanarkel
Line: Creighton -5.5

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
01-04-2017, 08:45 AM
Be real interested to see how Creighton/St. John's goes. I know all eyes will be on 'Nova, but I'm curious if the Johnnies' handling of Butler was a fluke or if they should actually strike some fear into teams.

79warrior
01-04-2017, 10:14 AM
Georgetown really needs a win here or it will be a very rough start for them.

MU/Panther
01-04-2017, 11:16 AM
https://twitter.com/SBNBracketology/status/816689602081787904

Phantom Warrior
01-04-2017, 04:42 PM
I would not be at all surprised if Butler beats Nova.

I would be surprised if St. John's beats Creighton even though the game is on its home court.

Providence versus GTown, no idea what to think. Providence has not looked good recently, but it's on their home court.

Phantom Warrior
01-04-2017, 04:44 PM
oops

MU/Panther
01-04-2017, 05:07 PM
They were saying on the CBSSN boardcast on Sunday, that Ed Cooley said we need to get home. The Dunk should be fired up with Georgetown coming in.

MU/Panther
01-04-2017, 06:32 PM
Villanova 31 Butler 27 at halftime on FS1
Brunson and Jenkins with 8 points each. Kelan Martin with 8 for Butler.

Georgetown and Providence tied at 15 on CBSSN.
Kyron Cartwright with 7 points for PC.

MU_Iceman
01-04-2017, 07:03 PM
C' mon Nova, do NOT choke this thing away...I don't care if you win by 1...just win it.

MU_Iceman
01-04-2017, 07:18 PM
Well...there goes ANY chance MU had at winning Saturday. I would have LOVED their chances going to Nova with them on a 21 game winning streak(law of averages), NOT at the Pavilion and DePaul almost beat them there. But...no way MU wins now, Nova ain't losing two in a row...f'n Butler.

MU/Panther
01-04-2017, 07:22 PM
Butler has road loses at Indiana State and St. John's. Has wins over Arizona, Indiana, Vanderbilt, Utah, Cincinnati and up by 6 on Villanova.

MU/Panther
01-04-2017, 07:24 PM
OMG, what a steal and score by Baldwin!

MU/Panther
01-04-2017, 07:38 PM
Butler 66 Villanova 58 Final

Providence 59 Georgetown 55, 6:06 left on CBSSN

mufan2003
01-04-2017, 07:42 PM
Glad Butler won. Would rather have Nova go 14-4 or 13-5 than 18-0, 17-1 or 16-2. Villanova won the title as a #2 seed. More teams getting a few wins against Nova will help come Selection Sunday (# of bids and seeding).

MU/Panther
01-04-2017, 07:46 PM
I agree. I don't need the national view of the Big East as Memphis was viewed with Coach Cal in Conference USA. Granted that was a two bid league and the Big East sends half the league to March Madness.

MU_Iceman
01-04-2017, 07:47 PM
Glad Butler won. Would rather have Nova go 14-4 or 13-5 than 18-0, 17-1 or 16-2. Villanova won the title as a #2 seed. More teams getting a few wins against Nova will help come Selection Sunday (# of bids and seeding).

No way...have to look at the short term...this pretty much guarantees no way MU wins Saturday now. Nova hasn't lost two in a row in 3 years. A Nova win, and I would have really liked MU's chances...just another reason that Hall loss is REALLY going to haunt them come selcetion Sunday...Had MU started 2-0, losing to Nova...eh..no big deal..but starting 1-2?? That's a hill to climb.

01-04-2017, 08:02 PM
No way...have to look at the short term...this pretty much guarantees no way MU wins Saturday now. Nova hasn't lost two in a row in 3 years. A Nova win, and I would have really liked MU's chances...just another reason that Hall loss is REALLY going to haunt them come selcetion Sunday...Had MU started 2-0, losing to Nova...eh..no big deal..but starting 1-2?? That's a hill to climb.

Our opening stretch is brutal. I think most would've penciled in a 2-6 or 3-5 start. There's no harm in losing either of these.

MU/Panther
01-04-2017, 08:06 PM
Final
Providence 76 Georgetown 70
Four players in double figure scoring for PC

MU/Panther
01-04-2017, 08:08 PM
No way...have to look at the short term...this pretty much guarantees no way MU wins Saturday now. . I totally don't buy that logic. Same people said that after Milwaukee beat Wisconsin last season, that MU had no chance after that.

MU_Iceman
01-04-2017, 08:09 PM
Our opening stretch is brutal. I think most would've penciled in a 2-6 or 3-5 start. There's no harm in losing either of these.

A start like that and there is NO chance of making the NCAA's...that's just the reality. I still say, the EASIEST path to the NCAA's is for MU to NOT lose at home...that's 9 wins right there, win @ DuhPaul, @ Providence and @ SJU, that's 12 wins right there. Win all your home games, and it doesn't matter what you do @Creighton, @ Xavier, @ Nova.

MUMac
01-05-2017, 09:59 AM
A start like that and there is NO chance of making the NCAA's...that's just the reality. I still say, the EASIEST path to the NCAA's is for MU to NOT lose at home...that's 9 wins right there, win @ DuhPaul, @ Providence and @ SJU, that's 12 wins right there. Win all your home games, and it doesn't matter what you do @Creighton, @ Xavier, @ Nova.

Ah, you do realize that in the scenario you gave as the "EASIEST path to the NCAA's" would put MU at 1-2 after this weekend, correct? So which is it, "A start like that and there is NO chance of making the NCAA's" or "I will say, the EASIEST path to the NCAA's ..."?

MUwarrior1090
01-05-2017, 11:58 AM

1. We could start 3-5 and still easily make the tournament. 2-6 and it gets dicey.

2. Our easiest path to the tournament is to get 10 conference wins. We're not going to win all of our home games. Sweep DePaul. Sweep SJU. Sweep Providence. Sweep Georgetown. Beat SHU at home. That's 9 wins. Then get one of the home games vs. Nova, X, Creighton, or Butler

MUBasketball
01-05-2017, 01:07 PM

You're going to give yourself an ulcer man! Butler/Nova was a great game and I didn't care who won. I actually agree with a previous post that I'm probably slightly happier Butler won. Speaks to the strength of the league if Nova doesn't run through the regular season.

Concerning Saturday, meh, don't think it makes a difference. Nova is really good, regardless of the result yesterday. All any team can do is hope to steal a couple conference games on the road. Nova isn't one anybody should expect to steal.

01-05-2017, 06:11 PM

4 of our first 8 are on the road. Of the home games, 2 are Seton Hall (who killed us last year) and Villanova. All four of the road teams are projected to make the NCAA tournament. I am hoping for 3-5. I wouldn't be crushed with 2-6.

After that, we still have Providence twice, St. John's twice, and DePaul once. If we're worthy of being a tourney team, that's five wins. Then we also have Creighton, Xavier, and Butler at home. More winnable here than away. The other two are Georgetown and Xavier on the road. Go 3-2 in those last five and we get to 10-8 even with a 2-6 start. Just as important, we'll be 8-2 in our last 10 going into the BET.

Look at the schedule on the whole. The requisite is 19 total wins before the Big East tournament. Do that and we have a shot. Don't freak out because of a slow start. Our schedule sets up terribly in January, then starts to open up with Providence at home January 28. In my opinion, if we start 4-4 or 5-3, buy your NCAA tickets, because we are a mortal lock to make the tournament.

MU/Panther
01-05-2017, 08:36 PM
Just saw this from Lunardi:
Villanova, despite loss, will remain No. 1 overall in Thursday's bracket. Wildcats came in with a significant edge on the other No. 1 seeds.