PDA

View Full Version : Coach K & Boeheim

CaribouJim
01-02-2017, 06:52 PM
I watched the game yesterday at one of my brother's and were talking about VaTech convincing win over Duke and I told him that I think there is a chance that Coach K will throw in the towel after this season and that was before the news about his back surgery putting him on the DL for 4 week or so.

Then we had a similar discussion about Boeheim. I'm going to say that there is going to be a 100% chance that at least one will call it a career and 50% chance both will exit. Any thoughts?

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/01/02/mike-krzyzewski-back-injury-duke-blue-devils-jeff-capel

Nukem2
01-02-2017, 07:20 PM
I watched the game yesterday at one of my brother's and were talking about VaTech convincing win over Duke and I told him that I think there is a chance that Coach K will throw in the towel after this season and that was before the news about his back surgery putting him on the DL for 4 week or so.

Then we had a similar discussion about Boeheim. I'm going to say that there is going to be a 100% chance that at least one will call it a career and 50% chance both will exit. Any thoughts?

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/01/02/mike-krzyzewski-back-injury-duke-blue-devils-jeff-capel
You might be off a bit, but time is running short for these old guys. At 70, I know what these guys are going thru.

Markedman
01-03-2017, 02:01 PM
I don't think K is going anywhere for awhile.

Jimmy B might be another story but he has already said he is retiring after 2018 season so won't be surprised if he sticks to that time table either.

CaribouJim
01-04-2017, 03:21 PM
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/01/04/jeff-capel-coach-k-successor-duke-hamidou-diallo-mail

Who do you see being Coach K’s replacement when he’s all done? Obviously a former player, but which one? — Dylan Link (@dylanlink123)

Now, however, it appears the gig would go to either Marquette coach Steve Wojciechowski, Northwestern’s Chris Collins or Capel. My gut tells me that the longer Capel sits at Coach K’s side, the more likely it is that he would get the gig. He checks a lot of boxes. He has been a former head coach (at VCU and Oklahoma, although his five-year stint at Oklahoma ended badly when he was fired in 2011). He has done a stellar job recruiting since he returned to Duke as an assistant that spring. And he has a reputation for being smart, tough and charismatic, the kind of guy who is just as at ease conferring with millionaire CEOs as he is teenage prodigies.

TheSultan
01-04-2017, 03:34 PM
I think Capel's tenure at Oklahoma ended poorly but he wasn't a bad coach there. He pretty much was the guy who started the ball rolling at VCU as well. He would make the most sense from my point of view.

Goose85
01-04-2017, 03:55 PM
Well, at this point Collins and Wojo have never even coached a team that was even on a NCAA bubble, so I can't imagine either would get a sniff at that head coaching job.

Now if Collins can get Northwestern into the NCAA tourney for the first time in the school's history, then he may begin to look like a pretty good replacement for Coach K.

Gato78
01-04-2017, 08:04 PM
Duke will not have to take a risk. Big name coaches will be sniffing around. Even if Wojo and Collins both end up getting to the Tourney, would they get that job over the likes of Brad Stevens or Doc Rivers or even a guy like Tony Bennett? I am not saying those coaches would be interested but that is the caliber of coach they will be looking to hire. I don't think Wojo and Collins or Capel have a chance right now.

TheSultan
01-04-2017, 09:43 PM
Coach K will select his replacement. I really doubt it will be an outsider.

CaribouJim
01-05-2017, 12:40 PM
Coach K will select his replacement. I really doubt it will be an outsider.

I too doubt it will be an outsider - probably Capel I would think like the writer said, but I don't think that is right. As much as we all loved and admired Hank, I think it would have been wise for MU to look outside as there was a decent pool of interested candidates. I know my Syracuse family and friends are not looking forward to the Mike Hopkins era. Then again, maybe they are as this year has been so underwhelming.

I just don't like these high profile coaches deeming their successors. That wasn't the case with Hank though - Gato can confirm that.

Also, before Stevens left for the Celtics, he was my prediction to succeed Coach K, but highly doubt he will leave Boston - he's got a good thing going there.

Gato78
01-05-2017, 04:19 PM
Dukies remember what happened when Carolina hired Guthridge after Dean Smith retired. Al did not hire Hank--it was the Athletic Board. Al advised Hank not to take it, but of course, even Al knew it was Hank's job if he wanted it because of his years of loyal service and standing in the community. Things have changed--especially with the $$ in college hoops. I would even say that Duke can compete with the money Stevens is getting in Boston. I doubt loyalty to the program will mean much when Duke needs to hire Coach K's replacement. I do not think Coach K will recommend any of his proteges--he won't tell the university that Wojo is better than Collins is better than Bray etc. I think he will keep his nose out of it. With what Coach K built, coaches will be coming out of the woodwork for a 10 year guaranteed deal worth anywhere from $5-$10 million per annum. I really think Duke will look at a guy like Stevens, with no ties, as a far better successor than Wojo or Collins.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
01-05-2017, 06:13 PM
Stevens is at one of the two most iconic franchises in the NBA. Stevens had a reputation for hating the recruiting process. Why on god's green earth would he even consider Duke? Or UCLA? Or Kentucky? Or North Carolina? Or Kansas? Or anywhere other than Boston? I'm sorry, but his name shouldn't even be mentioned, and the only reason it comes up is because he looks clean cut in a suit and as lily-white as Duke's reputation was in the early 1990s.

Nukem2
01-05-2017, 07:01 PM
Stevens is at one of the two most iconic franchises in the NBA. Stevens had a reputation for hating the recruiting process. Why on god's green earth would he even consider Duke? Or UCLA? Or Kentucky? Or North Carolina? Or Kansas? Or anywhere other than Boston? I'm sorry, but his name shouldn't even be mentioned, and the only reason it comes up is because he looks clean cut in a suit and as lily-white as Duke's reputation was in the early 1990s.
Unless the Celtics can attract some elite FAs, Stevens could be rather stymied in Boston. OK, but no cigar. We shall see.

Gato78
01-05-2017, 08:11 PM
NBA coaches generally make 2x the money of top college coaches. Their jobs are not long term--with Popovich being the exception. Duke pays K as much as top NBA coaches. Duke is iconic like the Celtics. NBA franchises turn on their coaches, see: Doc Rivers and Thibs. I think there is a chance he moves if he thinks he cannot win an NBA title.

01-05-2017, 09:02 PM
All the reports I heard about Stevens not liking recruiting are why I can't see him ever going back. If the guy didn't like recruiting in a small pond like Butler, why would he want to do it at the much bigger and dirtier national level? I could end up wrong, but I would be surprised to see him go back to college unless he exhausted all other options.

Halo
01-05-2017, 10:29 PM
Who would really want to follow Coach K? Would be very tough to escape his shadow and replicate what he has done there. If you are a Dukie out of loyalty and it's a step up like Wojo, Collins or Capel, yes. But I would be shocked if Stevens who already is at the highest level would want that pressure when he doesn't need it.

TheSultan
01-06-2017, 08:38 AM
Exactly. I can't think of many circumstances where a coach at the highest levels, with no connection to the school, replaces a legendary coach. Off the top of my head, in either college football or basketball, I can't think many instances when this has occurred.

Maybe Gene Bartow? He was three years removed from a national runner up performance at Memphis when he was named John Wooden's successor. No ties to the UCLA program - and he lasted two years because the boosters wanted Gary Cunningham.

Rich Rodriguez replacing Lloyd Carr at Michigan? A disaster, in large part because he wasn't a "Michigan Man."

Am I missing a success story?

Goose85
01-06-2017, 08:39 AM
If Stevens ever wanted to move back to college, I could see him being the guy after the guy that replaced Coach K. But he'd be crazy to move anytime in the near future.
No way would I want the job unless it was a huge move up (like former Duke assistants).

Right now Boston is the 3rd seed in the east, and has a relatively young team. If the season ended to day, Boston would have the first pick in the NBA draft. They also have Brooklyn's first round pick in 2018. They are in line for about a 5-7 year run where they very well could be in line for the top team in the east with Cleveland (if they draft well).

I think Stevens, with Ainge as GM, is in line for a Pop like run in Boston.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
01-06-2017, 09:38 AM
Boston is in an incredibly strong position for the future, possibly even stronger than Milwaukee is right now. No way Stevens leaves Boston, or is run off. He has done a great job there with a below average cast. Even if he were to get run off in Boston, he would have a bunch of offers from other NBA teams to skim through before Duke even came into play.

Halo
01-06-2017, 09:51 AM
And is there really a better coaching job in Pro Sports then a NBA coach? High paid, truly the most entertaining game of the big 3. You are putting on a show each night for the fans. Generally, you are as good as what your GM/Owner provides you. Waltzing in at 6 PM for warmups each night to call some Timeouts, a few plays, etc. It would be great gig. Eating/flying first class everywhere. A huge support staff.

Now goto College. You are worried every night about kids out drinking/cheating/dating. You have to recruit. The grades. The helicopter parents. Transfers. Dealing with kids basically. Kissing ass of 15 privileged 15 year olds. No thanks if the NBA was a viable option.

Nukem2
01-06-2017, 10:19 AM
And is there really a better coaching job in Pro Sports then a NBA coach? High paid, truly the most entertaining game of the big 3. You are putting on a show each night for the fans. Generally, you are as good as what your GM/Owner provides you. Waltzing in at 6 PM for warmups each night to call some Timeouts, a few plays, etc. It would be great gig. Eating/flying first class everywhere. A huge support staff.

Now goto College. You are worried every night about kids out drinking/cheating/dating. You have to recruit. The grades. The helicopter parents. Transfers. Dealing with kids basically. Kissing ass of 15 privileged 15 year olds. No thanks if the NBA was a viable option.All true. The X factors are the coach's ego or what his career goals are. NBA coaches generally do not last long. Key for Stevens is for Ainge to get him some elite players whether in free agency or through those future high 1st round picks. Guy is awfully young to be a lifetime middle of the road NBA coach.

01-06-2017, 11:46 AM
Boston has the next two picks from a terrible New Jersey team and three first rounders in 2019. Stevens has improved them from 12th to 7th to 5th and is in line for the 3-seed this year. Al Horford is the only guy on the roster getting significant minutes that is 30 years old. They are already young, good, and loaded for the future. I don't think Stevens is anywhere close to the career of mediocrity you're suggesting. Right now he has far more job security than he'd have at Duke following K. If I would bet on any one NBA coach still being at his current job in 10 years, Stevens would lead that list by a mile.

Nukem2
01-06-2017, 12:32 PM
Boston has the next two picks from a terrible New Jersey team and three first rounders in 2019. Stevens has improved them from 12th to 7th to 5th and is in line for the 3-seed this year. Al Horford is the only guy on the roster getting significant minutes that is 30 years old. They are already young, good, and loaded for the future. I don't think Stevens is anywhere close to the career of mediocrity you're suggesting. Right now he has far more job security than he'd have at Duke following K. If I would bet on any one NBA coach still being at his current job in 10 years, Stevens would lead that list by a mile.Not suggesting that he will or not. Just saying that Ainge needs to help out with FA's or those future draft picks to help Stevens take Boston to a higher level. Don't know that Stevens would be happy with a continual 2nd or 3rd place East finish (which is not bad, but...) . At some point, coaches like Stevens do strive for more in terms of accomplishments. He will never be hurting for a job.

Gato78
01-06-2017, 01:03 PM
Boston has the next two picks from a terrible New Jersey team and three first rounders in 2019. Stevens has improved them from 12th to 7th to 5th and is in line for the 3-seed this year. Al Horford is the only guy on the roster getting significant minutes that is 30 years old. They are already young, good, and loaded for the future. I don't think Stevens is anywhere close to the career of mediocrity you're suggesting. Right now he has far more job security than he'd have at Duke following K. If I would bet on any one NBA coach still being at his current job in 10 years, Stevens would lead that list by a mile.

All true except I bet the same things could have been said about George Karl in Milwaukee in 2002. The NBA can be fickle.

01-06-2017, 01:17 PM
All true except I bet the same things could have been said about George Karl in Milwaukee in 2002. The NBA can be fickle.

I love this city and wish the Bucks success, but Boston is a top-2 franchise in NBA history. Even if you look at them in s contemporary light, they are probably still top-5. The Bucks have never been that in my lifetime.

Nukem2
01-06-2017, 01:38 PM
I love this city and wish the Bucks success, but Boston is a top-2 franchise in NBA history. Even if you look at them in s contemporary light, they are probably still top-5. The Bucks have never been that in my lifetime.Don't think any one questioned that Boston is an "elite" NBA franchise.

TheSultan
01-06-2017, 01:55 PM

Which is why George Karl decided to coach in college after he left Milwaukee.

Oh wait...

Goose85
01-06-2017, 02:17 PM

Oh wait...

I always thought Karl would be a better college coach, at least from a longevity at one job standpoint. Karl was the type of coach that would wear on guys, so many of his NBA players and employers would grow tired of him and his style, which may be why he has had a number of NBA head coach jobs. In college, just when players are getting tired of your routine, they leave and you have a whole new group buying what you are selling.

I will never forgive Karl for the Ray Allen / Gary Payton trade.

MUAlphaBangura
01-06-2017, 02:25 PM

Oh wait...

No, but his name was mentioned back in the day with North Carolina and a couple of times with UNLV including just this last year. So he has had interest in moving to the college game, but who knows how serious it was with UNC. UNLV sounded pretty serious.

Gato78
01-06-2017, 02:42 PM
George Karl has burned a lot of bridges in his career. When he was here, during the Ray Allen, Big Dog and Sam Cassell run, he was considered a brilliant coach, the best in the game. I think he was the highest paid coach in America when he was hired by the Senator at around $4million per. After the Payton trade and the slip in the team's performance, he was a dog around here. It happens fast which is why any coaches leave before the posse gets them--even when they are winning, see: Kevin O'Neil. There are many many examples of coaches moving when they think there might be future slippage and the fan base will ruin their careers. I say this only to explain why I do not consider any coach to be a lifer anywhere, except maybe Coach K and Greg Popovich.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
01-09-2017, 08:06 AM
The NBA can be fickle.

And the NCAA isn't? coaching at any level these days is never a long term proposition. Duke will be just as fickle as any NBA franchise when K retires.