PDA

View Full Version : MU Versus Georgetown - Match Ups

Phantom Warrior
12-24-2016, 11:02 PM
Point - Markus & Rowsey versus Mosely, Mulmore, and Campbell: In the last five games Mosely played 28, 7, 30, 6, and 22 minutes, while over those same five games Mulmore played 21, 10, 5, 23, and 13 minutes. Campbell minutes have been steadier, but I believe has played a little point as well as some 2 guard.

The Hoyas haven't gotten a lot of scoring from their point guards, and none of them are hitting even 40% of their shots from the field. Nor are any of them serious threats from behind the arc, though Campbell is hitting 40% from deep (10 of 25). Mosely does have a 2.0/1.0 asst/turnover ratio, and he is second on the team in assists averaging 3.0 apg.

I don't have much of a read on any of the three in terms of defense, but all three are taller than MU's point guards - Mosely is 6'3", Mulmore is 6'4", and Campbell is 6'2".

It's hard to predict who is going to get the most minutes for the Hoyas at point, but the same can be said about MU. Does Marlus regain his starting spot and play 24-25 minutes, or does Rowsey continue to start, and will he get more time than Markus?

Basically, there are more questions than answers for both teams. Still, I think MU should have the edge at point, especially if either Markus or Rowsey, let alone both (that would be nice) are hitting their threes.

Markedman
12-25-2016, 08:44 PM
Howard offensive rating 125
Rowsey 121

Mosely 96
Campbell 95
Mulmore 99

All of their guys are listed as "limited role players"..... Markus is a step up from any if the 3 in usage and Rowsey 2 steps up.

Both our guys are significantly better and more important.

We have an advantage here and will likely need it to play out that way to get the win.

Markedman
12-29-2016, 10:57 AM
I got one right!

Goose85
12-29-2016, 11:10 AM
If they can put a good point guard on the floor next year, Georgetown has a chance to be pretty good. We caught a break that Peak was limited yesterday due to injury.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
12-29-2016, 12:35 PM
If they can put a good point guard on the floor next year, Georgetown has a chance to be pretty good. We caught a break that Peak was limited yesterday due to injury.

I really think they just need to move on from JTIII. So many questionable decisions yesterday, and the refs really saved his hide a few times from it getting embarrassing. Seriously, why would you try to go zone against us? With shooters like we have? We didn't even have a good night from three (about average, 43.5%) and when JJ and Katin hit those midrange shots completely uncontested, I was thinking "please, zone us more".

Georgetown is the epitome of a team that doesn't get it. We've been having the advanced metrics discussion, well GT is 6th in the country at getting to the line, 16th in the country at FT%, and gets the 9th highest percentage of points scored from free throws. All that gives them an offense that ranks 61st in the country. The thing they are best at is the least important.

On an off night for Peak, they needed their vaunted bigs to step up, but Govan was just streaky (hit a three but terrible offensively down low) while Hayes was a non-factor and it's a gift from the refs that he didn't foul out. I look at Wisconsin, and they're a team that is always better than the sum of their parts. Under JTIII, it seems like Georgetown is always worse than the sum of their parts. They get good recruits, but can't put together a good product on the floor.

They could bring back Iverson next year and still not have a good team.

Goose85
12-29-2016, 12:47 PM
Agree about JT3. Now that the basketball facility is built, he very well may be on the clock.

pbiflyer
12-29-2016, 02:02 PM
I got one right!

Seriously, though, nice call!

Markedman
12-29-2016, 02:42 PM
I am legally blind in only 1 eye so I have a bit of an advantage over that squirrel......

Markedman
12-29-2016, 02:44 PM
I really think they just need to move on from JTIII. So many questionable decisions yesterday, and the refs really saved his hide a few times from it getting embarrassing. Seriously, why would you try to go zone against us? With shooters like we have? We didn't even have a good night from three (about average, 43.5%) and when JJ and Katin hit those midrange shots completely uncontested, I was thinking "please, zone us more".

Georgetown is the epitome of a team that doesn't get it. We've been having the advanced metrics discussion, well GT is 6th in the country at getting to the line, 16th in the country at FT%, and gets the 9th highest percentage of points scored from free throws. All that gives them an offense that ranks 61st in the country. The thing they are best at is the least important.

On an off night for Peak, they needed their vaunted bigs to step up, but Govan was just streaky (hit a three but terrible offensively down low) while Hayes was a non-factor and it's a gift from the refs that he didn't foul out. I look at Wisconsin, and they're a team that is always better than the sum of their parts. Under JTIII, it seems like Georgetown is always worse than the sum of their parts. They get good recruits, but can't put together a good product on the floor.

They could bring back Iverson next year and still not have a good team.

I don't have the stats but it seemed the zone kind of slowed us down when I was at the game. We didn't seem to attack it well at least at first....and the length seemed to cause our little guards some issues.

Do the numbers show that we torched it?

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
12-29-2016, 03:41 PM
At first I agree that it did, but it didn't last long. We started hitting midrange shots and threes over the top and it was done.

Switching up defenses will usually lead to an adjustment period, and once we adjusted, it sure seemed to help us more than them.