PDA

View Full Version : The NBA Unicorn Power Rankings - a slew of big men capable of doing it all.

CaribouJim
12-21-2016, 10:54 AM
http://www.si.com/nba/2016/12/20/nba-unicorn-power-rankings-kevin-durant-kristaps-porzingis

Goose85
12-21-2016, 11:24 AM
Two old school guys that would fit here well are Kareem and Wilt. Both guys over 7 foot tall, and both athletic.
I would love to see a player like Giannis work with Kareem on a hook shot. Kareem's hook shot was often from well outside the lane. That is almost an unstoppable shot.

Both guys basically played before the 3 point line. I have no doubt that they would have been able to add that shot to their other moves.

mufan2003
12-21-2016, 01:11 PM
"A few weeks ago I wrote about him after the first month and said, "He's putting up 22, 8, and 6, plus 2 steals and 2 blocks per game, and he's carried the Bucks to within spitting distance of a playoff spot. ... If the Bucks can surround him with capable shooters he'll be twice as dangerous, but for now it's just as impressive to watch him make this work with Tony Snell."

I thought this was an important point regarding Giannis and the Bucks. Giannis and Jabari are so good getting to the basket, and with their size and length, are practically impossible to defend 1-on-1. Watching the Cavs, they have surrounded James and Irving with 3-point shooters. I believe the Cavs take and make the most 3's in the league (maybe only behind the Warriors). The Bucks have done a good job adding players that can shoot the 3 but need to still add more. Last year they were abysmal from 3. Middleton coming back will certainly help as well.

Goose85
12-21-2016, 02:15 PM
"A few weeks ago I wrote about him after the first month and said, "He's putting up 22, 8, and 6, plus 2 steals and 2 blocks per game, and he's carried the Bucks to within spitting distance of a playoff spot. ... If the Bucks can surround him with capable shooters he'll be twice as dangerous, but for now it's just as impressive to watch him make this work with Tony Snell."

I thought this was an important point regarding Giannis and the Bucks. Giannis and Jabari are so good getting to the basket, and with their size and length, are practically impossible to defend 1-on-1. Watching the Cavs, they have surrounded James and Irving with 3-point shooters. I believe the Cavs take and make the most 3's in the league (maybe only behind the Warriors). The Bucks have done a good job adding players that can shoot the 3 but need to still add more. Last year they were abysmal from 3. Middleton coming back will certainly help as well.

I thought Delly was a really good compliment to our team as point, but that was with Middleton shooting 3s. I still think he and Brogdan make a pretty good point guard tandem when you have other scorers like Giannis, Jabari, and Middleton.
As MUFN2003 alluded to, you have to have multiple 3 point shooters to compete in the NBA, and in college too.