PDA

View Full Version : This is the current MU debate

Gato78
06-09-2012, 08:52 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/09/opinion/nocera-majoring-in-eligibility.html?_r=1&hp

There needs to be an appropriate line drawn and what Larry is doing is not so outrageous. We cannot be part of the crowd that graduates guys who cannot comprehend what they read.

Pipelayer
06-09-2012, 09:47 AM
Frankly the NCAA should set standards that make sense and that are universal. Why did the NCAA do away with ACT requirements? Because a lot of poor and minority kids will be left out to flip burgers early, instead of being given a chance?

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
06-09-2012, 10:44 AM
Evan Daniels tweeted the other day that he asked a 2012 recruit that had committed to a school if he could point to which state the college he committed to was in and the kid couldn't do it... That's pretty sad. These kids need the opportunity to get a real education, I don't mind if they aren't educated properly as that isn't always their fault, it's only an issue when they start getting into trouble and disruptin things for others.

IWB
06-09-2012, 10:46 AM
The ACT still matters, just a sliding scale depending on what your GPA is.

Also, I don't have a problem with higher academic standards at all. I just have issue with the level/ramifications of the penalties.

IrwinFletcher
06-09-2012, 11:05 AM
I was one of the few people I think that was not ready to form a lynch mob to go after Fr. Pilarz and LW. Certainly, if the rumors of changing requirments for players mid stream were true, that would be bad policy.

But I am not willing to sacrifice the name and reputation of Marquette University to win a few more basketball games.

Or even a Championship.

Goose85
06-09-2012, 12:13 PM
Higher academic standards are fine, just grandfather them in. For some of these athletes, and students in general, who did not have the benefit of a very good atmosphere in high school, the first year of college academics can be a very tough adjustment. Not sure the first year should be included in the tougher requirements. First year, stay NCAA elligible. After that, adhere to the new academic rules.

Also, I have a problem with a kid that does not meet the higher grade point average and being suspended at MU, not being able to get a schollie at another school should he decide to transfer while he still meets the NCAA requirements.

IWB
06-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Also, I have a problem with a kid that does not meet the higher grade point average and being suspended at MU, not being able to get a schollie at another school should he decide to transfer while he still meets the NCAA requirements.

Bingo - exactly my main issue.

Drbchilds
06-09-2012, 06:31 PM
This last sentence of the article is horrifying......"I congratulated him on learning to read. “Thanks,” he said. “The thing I have to work on now is understanding what I’m reading.”"
This is from a school which is joining our conference......SMH

MUMac
06-09-2012, 06:42 PM
Higher academic standards are fine, just grandfather them in. For some of these athletes, and students in general, who did not have the benefit of a very good atmosphere in high school, the first year of college academics can be a very tough adjustment. Not sure the first year should be included in the tougher requirements. First year, stay NCAA elligible. After that, adhere to the new academic rules.

Goose, you capture my feelings perfectly on this matter. The retro-activeness combined with your last paragraph is what truly bothers me about all of this. That is the part I cannot support as a MU alum and booster.