PDA

View Full Version : Prediction Time - UW

Phantom Warrior
12-09-2016, 09:53 AM
I would love to see us pull off the upset, but UW is as good as any team we will face this year except possibly Nova. I just don't think we're strong enough to get that upset.

I also do not like the Happ-Luke match up. Happ is a nightmare for most 5s, but I think it will be especially rough for Luke (and Matt). A quick, long, mobile center who is a true shot-blocker (someone like Patton of Creighton) might be able to give Happ a lot of trouble, but that is not Luke. Happ is much too quick for Luke, and he is very aggressive. Given Luke's propensity for fouls, I think he might see a lot of time on the bench, and if he is, Happ cold score 20+ and grab a dozen boards.

I also think we will have trouble defending Hayes. I know Sandy did a nice job a year ago, but that was in large part because Hayes hung around the three-point line most of the game. I don't see that happening. I don't think JJ can stay with Hayes, especially if he plays in the paint.

I know most MU-UW games are pretty close and competitive, but I think UW will win fairly easily, 82-71.

MUFAN2010
12-09-2016, 10:59 AM
Mu 101- uw 90

Goose85
12-09-2016, 11:01 AM
MU in a normal MU v. UW type game, close and a fight for every possession.
MU 75 UW 72.

MUfan12
12-09-2016, 11:03 AM
I know most MU-UW games are pretty close and competitive, but I think UW will win fairly easily, 82-71.

Well I guess I'm betting the house on MU, then. :p

But I agree. I don't see them being able to stop UW. They'll need a cold outside shooting night from UW to have a chance.

CaribouJim
12-09-2016, 11:06 AM
Seth Davis picks MU:

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/12/09/picks-predictions-florida-state-wisconsin-marquette

When these teams met last year in Madison, Marquette escaped with a 57–55 win. True, the Golden Eagles don’t have forward Henry Ellenson anymore (he was selected with pick No. 18 in the NBA draft), but they also don’t have to play the Badgers in Kohl. Marquette is not a very good defensive team, but it has a pair of dynamic playmaking guards in sophomores Traci Carter and Hannif Cheatham, plus a big, immovable object in the middle in senior Luke Fischer. All of that, plus the homecourt advantage, should add up to a mild upset.

I'm thinking UW 84 -MU 74. Happ just scares the %^&* out of me and TC is not 100% and HC in a funk.

IrwinFletcher
12-09-2016, 02:31 PM
Seeing how Seth's analysis is plain bad, I think we can discount his prediction.

I don't think we can stop Madison and that our young'ns struggle a bit.

Madison 82 - MU 69

MUwarrior1090
12-09-2016, 03:23 PM
I'd be shocked if we lost by 10+. Even in 2014 when we had our worst team in 20 years and UW had their best team of all time, we lost by 11. Kenpom has this as a 1 point UW victory and has Marquette with a 43% chance to win. The opening betting line is UW -2.5

I know those metrics aren't predictors, but for everyone to be predicting a 10+ point loss is nuts.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
12-09-2016, 03:31 PM
UW 72, Marq 70

Layup fest for Happ.

warriorfan4life
12-09-2016, 03:51 PM
UW 72, Marq 70

Layup fest for Happ.

Unfortunately, that feels about right to me. Now, UW has struggled the two times they have played good teams away from home (UNC and Creighton), but we are not yet on that level. I worry that a refocused Hayes and Happ will take advantage of our weakness on the interior. For us to win, we need Luke to play like he did against Vandy and Luke Kornet.

Phantom Warrior
12-09-2016, 04:28 PM
Except that Happ is not Kornet. Kornet spent a good deal of time at the three-point line. Happ is strictly a low-post player.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
12-09-2016, 05:59 PM
UW 68 - 66 Marquette

Close game but the combination of Koenig driving inside and Happ destroying us underneath both on dishes to him and offensive rebounds is just too much. We try to outgun them from the arc and win the three-point battle, but lose the rebounding and interior fights. Marquette just not able to generate quite enough turnovers. Comes down to the last possession.

Phantom Warrior
12-09-2016, 11:17 PM
If this game comes down to the last possession, then this team is a whole lot better than I think it is.

For that matter if this game comes down to the last possession, then all the Wojo-bashers need to zip it.

Here's one of my concerns: JJ and KR try to force the action on offense and our team offense has no rhythm.

Of course, my major concern is on the defensive end.

MU_Iceman
12-10-2016, 12:33 AM
You guys all have no faith. MU beat this SAME UW team IN Madison last year. I know some of it is probably reverse psychology, but c'mon. Got a feeling Wojo will pull something out for Happ. May see a lot of Reinhardt on him, which is just fine with me. Besides, Happ can score all he wants, he won't beat MU by himself. Good luck to UW trying to beat MU's pressure and having their offense all discombulated from the beginning. MU wins this one...78-70 and that's not the "homer" in me. If Wojo watched any tape at all of the Creighton-UW game, he knows how to beat them. After every missed shot, I expect MU to run, run, run and run some more. Hauser has another great game, as does JJ(no one on UW has the athleticism he does). Oh, and watch for Duane in this one..he's going to do something(s) special.

MU_Iceman
12-10-2016, 12:35 AM
If this game comes down to the last possession, then this team is a whole lot better than I think it is.

For that matter if this game comes down to the last possession, then all the Wojo-bashers need to zip it.

Here's one of my concerns: JJ and KR try to force the action on offense and our team offense has no rhythm.

Of course, my major concern is on the defensive end.

A last possession loss, is still a loss, there are no moral victories. For christ sakes, this wouldn't be David Slaying Goliath here. give MU some freaking credit(not just you Phantom).

12-10-2016, 01:28 AM
This is a similar team but not the same. Happ is much better than a year ago. Like borderline first team All American better. I definitely think we have a chance, but our struggles in tight games have me nervous. I again hope they proved me wrong. The good news is that after Georgia, this game is a luxury, not a must win.

12-10-2016, 03:32 PM
A last possession loss, is still a loss, there are no moral victories. For christ sakes, this wouldn't be David Slaying Goliath here. give MU some freaking credit(not just you Phantom).

MU is improving but not that much. Any questions about who's the better team?

MU_Iceman
12-10-2016, 04:43 PM
MU is improving but not that much. Any questions about who's the better team?

Yep, this was completely on Wojo. Totally done with him. Now let's see Wojo...they are doing lay up drills on you inside...so, let's just keep letting them do it, rather than play some zone?? For christ sakes at least give them different looks! No creativity, just keep doing the same thing over and over again even though it's not going to get any better. Smart coaching. Pretty confident in saying this game is different if they play zone. Let them shoot jumpers allllllllllllll day. They beat you fine, but I'm 90% confident they wouldn't have. Whatever...can't wait until Wojo is gone or is at least open to changing his coaching style. F'n ridiculous he doesn't change things up...EVER.

12-10-2016, 06:12 PM
Wojo is the reason the completely superior team won? We played out of our minds in the first half against a Happless Badger team and led by 5. What did you really think was going to happen? If this is on Wojo, it's because he recruited Reinhardt who isn't an All American. Would Gill or Young have been magically better? No.

You got sucked in by a winning streak and thought that along with your fan bias would lead an inferior Marquette team to a win. It didn't. Don't be delusional. This wasn't the coach or the scheme, it was the difference in quality. On the plus side, if Wojo can coach, the pendulum will start to seeing because our young guys are better than their young guys.

MU_Iceman
12-10-2016, 09:01 PM
Wojo is the reason the completely superior team won? We played out of our minds in the first half against a Happless Badger team and led by 5. What did you really think was going to happen? If this is on Wojo, it's because he recruited Reinhardt who isn't an All American. Would Gill or Young have been magically better? No.

You got sucked in by a winning streak and thought that along with your fan bias would lead an inferior Marquette team to a win. It didn't. Don't be delusional. This wasn't the coach or the scheme, it was the difference in quality. On the plus side, if Wojo can coach, the pendulum will start to seeing because our young guys are better than their young guys.

So you're happy with this outcome?? Sure seems like it. Happy with the fact MU gave up 58 points in the 2nd half to a school that plays at one of the slowest paces in the country?? Is the defense MU has played this year, okay with you?? If not, then you're a complete fool to think a majority of that isn't on Wojo(and he'd tell you the same thing). He has no creativity, can't adjust to what the other team is doing. Crean and Buzz would always get creative in their game plans for a specific opponent and pulled off a couple gems vs. UW through the years(Grimm on Alando Tucker comes to mind), or Jimmy Butler on TU Holloway in the NCAAs. It's not like Wojo can't coach a zone, they played almost exclusively zone in his first year and played it some last year as well. His refusal to use any so far this year is just plain asinine. Why stick with something that isn't working?? I can promise you had MU played zone today, the outcome would have been different. It doesn't take a math genius to figure out that in MOST cases your odds are better of forcing a team to shoot from 15-20 ft away from the basket as opposed to 2-3 ft. What's the easier shot?? I assure you for every team in the country it's the 2-3 fter. It's not rocket science.

Markedman
12-10-2016, 09:30 PM
Nobody is happy with the outcome and you know it.

Some of us can just admit that the opponent is bigger, stronger, older and better.

If we all sit down and cry together will it change the outcome? Will it make you feel better?

I'll focus on the positives. Markus Howard is a stud....and played after getting IVS every day since the Fresno game....Sam struggled with fouls today but he is going to be fun to watch for 4 years.....Cheatham showed signs of breaking out of his slump with 16 and 8.

We scored 84 against the Badgers.....that is very hard to do.

We have size and athleticism coming.......if you aren't tough enough to be supportive then quit watching the damn games.....it will do you good since you are obviously miserable.

MU_Iceman
12-10-2016, 10:17 PM

Some of us can just admit that the opponent is bigger, stronger, older and better.

If we all sit down and cry together will it change the outcome? Will it make you feel better?

I'll focus on the positives. Markus Howard is a stud....and played after getting IVS every day since the Fresno game....Sam struggled with fouls today but he is going to be fun to watch for 4 years.....Cheatham showed signs of breaking out of his slump with 16 and 8.

We have size and athleticism coming.......if you aren't tough enough to be supportive then quit watching the damn games.....it will do you good since you are obviously miserable.

I never said i don't like watching the kids, this team is VERY enjoyable to watch...offensively. It's so nice finally having a team that can shoot it. I just don't understand what all of you see in Wojo...what the hell has he done as a Coach in 3 years to make you all slurpers for him?? How many truly big games has he won?? How creative has he gotten with game plans etc?? How many in game adjustments has he made that have truly worked?? He is supposed to be so defensive minded, yet can't coach defense to save his life. He KNOWS he has a team that isn't very good defensively, yet, he keeps going with the same thing game after game. He's not putting the kids in the best possible position to succeed defensively, that's what irritates me. They score plenty of points to win EVERY game..yet, he gives him NO shot in big games because he won't, for whatever reason change things up...I hate to say it but maybe Wojo is insane .."doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different outcome". Does he think that all of a sudden mid game when a team has gone on a huge run that his defense will suddenly "get it" and get stops??

Michael Young abused them in new York..what did he do to try to put an end to that?? Absolutely NOTHING. The badgers were running a lay up drill today in the 2nd half..did he do anything to try to stop it?? Not a damn thing..didn't come out with a different look or anything. Brilliant Coaching Wojo..Good Coaches can adapt mid game, good coaches change things up when something isn't working. To not do those things.. that's a bit negligent as a Coach if you ask me.

12-11-2016, 03:03 AM

First, this is brilliant. Iceman, grow up. You are such a baby after a loss. I'm not happy, but I recognize the reality of what I saw. Deal with it.

12-11-2016, 03:08 AM
I never said i don't like watching the kids, this team is VERY enjoyable to watch...offensively. It's so nice finally having a team that can shoot it. I just don't understand what all of you see in Wojo...what the hell has he done as a Coach in 3 years to make you all slurpers for him?? How many truly big games has he won?? How creative has he gotten with game plans etc?? How many in game adjustments has he made that have truly worked?? He is supposed to be so defensive minded, yet can't coach defense to save his life. He KNOWS he has a team that isn't very good defensively, yet, he keeps going with the same thing game after game. He's not putting the kids in the best possible position to succeed defensively, that's what irritates me. They score plenty of points to win EVERY game..yet, he gives him NO shot in big games because he won't, for whatever reason change things up...I hate to say it but maybe Wojo is insane .."doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different outcome". Does he think that all of a sudden mid game when a team has gone on a huge run that his defense will suddenly "get it" and get stops??

Michael Young abused them in new York..what did he do to try to put an end to that?? Absolutely NOTHING. The badgers were running a lay up drill today in the 2nd half..did he do anything to try to stop it?? Not a damn thing..didn't come out with a different look or anything. Brilliant Coaching Wojo..Good Coaches can adapt mid game, good coaches change things up when something isn't working. To not do those things.. that's a bit negligent as a Coach if you ask me.

Second, you are a complete idiot if this is your thought process.

Complete.

Idiot.

Michael Young had a two minute outburst. It was keyed by our bad shots and turnovers. Then we called timeout and he didn't score again from the field. Did you notice that? Or were you too busy pouting about the loss?

It is mind boggling to me that you are over the age of 8. No adolescent I've ever known cries so much, seriously, your pouting bitch fest after every loss is old. Take it like an adult.

MU_Iceman
12-11-2016, 09:55 PM
Second, you are a complete idiot if this is your thought process.

Complete.

Idiot.

Michael Young had a two minute outburst. It was keyed by our bad shots and turnovers. Then we called timeout and he didn't score again from the field. Did you notice that? Or were you too busy pouting about the loss?

It is mind boggling to me that you are over the age of 8. No adolescent I've ever known cries so much, seriously, your pouting bitch fest after every loss is old. Take it like an adult.

That's fine...be content with where this program is currently, like most here are(even though they will claim they aren't). I'm not...and I want you to tell me what Wojo has done as a coach in 3 years to prove he's the one for MU?? *cue the he went from 13 wins his first year to 20 his 2nd and the trajectory is pointing up* line. If that's satisfactory to you, that MU plays in front of a virtually empty arena now every night, and hasn't made an NCAA tournament in 4 years let alone an NIT, then that's good for you, because you want a "nice program that graduates it's kids and competes hard". Some people just have no competitive bones in their body and losing is okay with them. I get it.

TheSultan
12-12-2016, 03:15 PM
That's fine...be content with where this program is currently, like most here are(even though they will claim they aren't). I'm not...and I want you to tell me what Wojo has done as a coach in 3 years to prove he's the one for MU?? *cue the he went from 13 wins his first year to 20 his 2nd and the trajectory is pointing up* line. If that's satisfactory to you, that MU plays in front of a virtually empty arena now every night, and hasn't made an NCAA tournament in 4 years let alone an NIT, then that's good for you, because you want a "nice program that graduates it's kids and competes hard". Some people just have no competitive bones in their body and losing is okay with them. I get it.

You think your rantings on a message board are a sign of competitiveness? Well I guess you can go with that if it makes you feel good... :rolleyes:

12-12-2016, 05:16 PM

Where did I say I'm content? I want us to be competing for the Final Four every year. I want us to be where Villanova is. But pissing and moaning about things doesn't make them any better. I'm willing to look at the reality of things, like Wisconsin simply being a better team than us, our defense being limited by our lack of size, and the simple reality that we are at least two years from being a legitimate contender for the league title (at least).

Also, your math is wrong. Four years ago we were on our way to the Elite Eight. Losing to Wisconsin didn't knock us out of the NCAAs and I still think we have a real opportunity to make it to the Tournament. Whining like a bitch doesn't make you competitive. It makes you a whiner. The most competitive people I know are also wise enough to also know when they are beat, which is what happened to us on Saturday. They know that crying doesn't make them better competitors, but taking your lumps and learning from those experiences does. But I guess if you can convince yourself otherwise, whatever. More power to ya.