PDA

View Full Version : The Bucks just don't get it..

MU/Panther
11-16-2016, 01:00 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nba/bucks/2016/11/16/report-bucks-wont-stay-trump-hotels/93953286/

America voted and voted Trump. Deal with it. There is always winners and losers every four years. For the Bucks running a business that got state money from the tax payers for the new arena that was lead by Scott Walker, it has been now 3 mistakes by the team leaders of this team. First, Peter Feigin comments about Milwaukee being the "most segregated, racist" place. Second, on opening night with the cops and military carring out the stars and stripes with the guy on the guitar with Black Lives Matter taped on it and now this. Fine, don't stay at Trump Hotel. Who cares. Don't make it public. You are upsetting half of your fan base. Is that the way you want to run your business? Good luck with those un-NBA crowds you get during the week, that looks like Grambling is play Marquette. That 12,000 paid crowd on a Saturday night on Oct. 29th. The tax payers should be treated better, who are paying for half of the arena.

Goose85
11-16-2016, 02:03 PM
It could be because some players might have refused to stay at a Trump hotel and they thought this might be the best way to address the situation.

MU/Panther
11-16-2016, 02:06 PM
Then, don't make it public to ESPN. No comment would have worked.

Goose85
11-16-2016, 02:29 PM
Bucks are not the only team to have announced that, although I think one team said starting in the following year as they had contracts they couldn't get out of for one of the Trump hotels.

No secret where teams stay on the road. Not sure it is that big of a deal. I work for a competing bank to the one that sponsors the Brewers, but I still go to games and support the team.

Can't imagine some fans will stop going to games because of this but who knows. I guess maybe that coupled with and having a star player, whose family lives here with him that is not a citizen could be the tipping point. I personally think winning basketball would make more of a difference.

MU/Panther
11-16-2016, 02:37 PM
Well, I have heard from fans and heard e-mails from talk shows of people very upset over opening night and who refuse to go. It's not like the Bucks are drawing fans now. Listen, your missing the point. Some will not be upset and you are one of them who this doesn't bother. Fine, to each it's own. Others are upset and will be. Why, piss them off as the Bucks are terrible in the attendance number.

Goose85
11-16-2016, 02:48 PM
I get it, some people are so into Trump that this will turn them against the Bucks. If the Bucks start playing playoff level basketball, my guess is they will fill the seats.

The Cubs owners were over the top Trump supporters, but it sure didn't seem to stop Dems and Reps fans alike from going to Wrigley or spending money on the Cubs. You think Democrat fans won't show up to Wrigley next year? I doubt it. Winning fills seats, everything else is an excuse. I'd be surprised if sponsors pulled or season ticket holders bailed because of this, but then again, I've been wrong before.

MU/Panther
11-16-2016, 03:14 PM
It's not that people are so into Trump. Your comparing the Bucks vs the Cubs. Hummm.

Your correct, if the Bucks win. Well, they have not one a playoff series since 2001. Odds are not in their favor. Pre-season not even picked to make the playoffs, so the Bucks should not be pissing off the fan base and paying customers.

mufan2003
11-16-2016, 03:20 PM
"Marc Lasry, one of the Bucks' three primary owners, is a donor to the Democratic party and longtime supporter of both Bill Clinton and Hillary Clinton." With sports, it is nice to get away from politics. I love Jabari Parker and how he carries himself. I was really disappointed to hear him claim Trump is racist. Ask Amarosa how racist Trump is. Or Kellyanne Conway about misogyny, a woman he trusted and decided should be his campaign manager in the most crucial months of the election. In terms of immigration, he views it as a matter of illegal versus legal immigration. A bit unfair to say he is anti-immigrant.

I also agree with Goose, the Bucks are 5-4. There is enthusiasm for Parker and Giannis. If they can keep winning, attendance will improve. Winning is always the remedy for improved attendance.

MU/Panther
11-16-2016, 03:26 PM
Bucks are 29th out of 30 NBA teams in attendance. If there is enthusiasm, it's not showing up in attendance. Lead by a Saturday night in October that had a paid crowd of 12,570.

mufan2003
11-16-2016, 03:38 PM
I understand that fully MUPanther. Not saying attendance is high now. Simply that continuing to win will improve things along with having 2 young, emerging stars that legitimately could be All-Stars this season. In 2001, Sporting News ranked the BC the loudest venue in the NBA. No coincidence that was the year they were in the Eastern Conference Finals. As a sidenote, it also might be an indicator of the state of the economy and levels of disposable income.... 2001 versus 2016.

Goose85
11-16-2016, 05:22 PM
I also remember walking up at game time and getting a ticket to a Badger football game in almost any section except the student section back in the 1990s. Then they began to win, so now the place is full.

My opinion is sports fans really don't care as long as their teams win. I'd guess most people wouldn't like Favre or Rodgers at all if they knew them well, but we don't care if they are winning. Jordan was a famous womanizer and gambler, Bulls fans didn't care because he was winning. We had an owner that was a Democratic Senator, when we won the place was full, when we didn't plenty of seats were open. I don't ever recall people saying, he's a Democrat so I'm not buying tickets.

MUMac
11-16-2016, 06:09 PM
I get what MU/Panther is saying and agree. The Bucks are becoming far too political for my taste. I don't care what side you would be on, you alienate half of your fan base by being as in your face political as they have been. Frankly, I prefer sports without politics at all, but that is not the way sports are going. If it continues this way, it will impact my desire to follow the team/sport. I use sports as entertainment and a diversion to the other things in life.

Some believe the NFL is losing ratings due to the National Anthem protests. There may be something to that, though I also think the product is weaker this year.

MUfan12
11-16-2016, 11:05 PM
I'm a Republican (who didn't vote for Trump) and I think this is being blown out of proportion. Frankly, I'm surprised they stayed in any of the Trump hotels in the first place, after he announced his candidacy. The big misstep was Feigin spouting off in Madison, given the bipartisan support for the arena project.

The leadership group is interesting to me. Edens and Dinan understand what plays well here, and don't rock the boat too much. Lasry and Feigin are brash and arrogant, and they don't know how to turn it off. It doesn't surprise me they tend to be at the center of these mini controversies.

MU/Panther
11-17-2016, 11:51 AM
Well, when the Bucks are calling Trump a racist. Your are kind'va saying who voted for Trump is a racist, which many is your paying customers.

MUfan12
11-17-2016, 04:23 PM
Well, when the Bucks are calling Trump a racist. Your are kind'va saying who voted for Trump is a racist, which many is your paying customers.

Jabari saying that and the Bucks saying it are two different things.

MU/Panther
11-17-2016, 05:38 PM
Jabari saying that and the Bucks saying it are two different things. I mostly agree with your statement.

MUMac
11-17-2016, 07:21 PM
I'm a Republican (who didn't vote for Trump) and I think this is being blown out of proportion. Frankly, I'm surprised they stayed in any of the Trump hotels in the first place, after he announced his candidacy. The big misstep was Feigin spouting off in Madison, given the bipartisan support for the arena project.

The leadership group is interesting to me. Edens and Dinan understand what plays well here, and don't rock the boat too much. Lasry and Feigin are brash and arrogant, and they don't know how to turn it off. It doesn't surprise me they tend to be at the center of these mini controversies.

The Trump hotel is just one of the many. If it were only that, I would agree with your first paragraph. As for the 2nd, agree completely.

mufansince72
11-17-2016, 09:46 PM
General consensus is from many I have talked to that they will no longer support the Bucks. In my bowling league tonight several people walked up to the counter and asked them to turn the Bucks game off. General consensus on radio call in shows is that I would estimate 60% or more of the people don't like the Bucks stance. This is going to cost them revenue. I personally go to four or five Bucks games a year and I won't anymore, just because of Lasry's outward politics, and I am not even a Trump supporter.

mufansince72
11-17-2016, 09:52 PM
The other thing that pisses many people off is how Lasry sucked up to the Republican legislature to get public funding. Then Feign coming out and saying that Milwaukee is racist. Combined with the Black Lives Matter gimmick on opening night, now combined with the announcement that they are boycotting Trump Hotels. Also didn't stop Lasry from owing up to 20% of Trump Hotels in his hedge fund. People just see how hypocritical this guy is and want no part of it.

Goose85
11-21-2016, 10:20 AM
General consensus is from many I have talked to that they will no longer support the Bucks. In my bowling league tonight several people walked up to the counter and asked them to turn the Bucks game off. General consensus on radio call in shows is that I would estimate 60% or more of the people don't like the Bucks stance. This is going to cost them revenue. I personally go to four or five Bucks games a year and I won't anymore, just because of Lasry's outward politics, and I am not even a Trump supporter.

Easy to say when the Bucks are not playing that well, but it didn't stop 18,717 from showing up at the BC last Saturday night for the Bucks game. I guess is it isn't costing the Bucks much.

I would be interested to see if those same people that won't support the Bucks because they won't stay at the Trump in Chicago change their tune if next season the Bucks are playing really well. I know Trump is thin skinned when he is questioned or made fun of on the late night shows, but it seems to me some of my Trump supporter friends are more defensive than they have been with other candidates they have supported in the past. If the Packers announced they wouldn't stay in a Trump hotel, would those same fans stop watching Packer games?

mufansince72
11-21-2016, 12:12 PM
Easy to say when the Bucks are not playing that well, but it didn't stop 18,717 from showing up at the BC last Saturday night for the Bucks game. I guess is it isn't costing the Bucks much.

I would be interested to see if those same people that won't support the Bucks because they won't stay at the Trump in Chicago change their tune if next season the Bucks are playing really well. I know Trump is thin skinned when he is questioned or made fun of on the late night shows, but it seems to me some of my Trump supporter friends are more defensive than they have been with other candidates they have supported in the past. If the Packers announced they wouldn't stay in a Trump hotel, would those same fans stop watching Packer games?

See how many show up tonight against Orlando. People will come when GS or Cleveland are in town. The upper deck will be empty.

MU/Panther
11-21-2016, 12:53 PM

I would be interested to see if those same people that won't support the Bucks because they won't stay at the Trump in Chicago change their tune if next season the Bucks are playing really well. I know Trump is thin skinned when he is questioned or made fun of on the late night shows, but it seems to me some of my Trump supporter friends are more defensive than they have been with other candidates they have supported in the past. If the Packers announced they wouldn't stay in a Trump hotel, would those same fans stop watching Packer games? It was Golden State on a Saturday night. The Warriors sold out the game, not the Bucks. How about that Oct. 29th Saturday night game when the Bucks had over 12,000.
It's not the Bucks don't stay in a Trump Hotel which is the problem, it's calling the public that is paying for half of your arena just don't like being called racist. Plus, comparing the Bucks vs the Packers, is like comparing Marquette attendance vs UWM.

The Bucks will have nobody at the game tonight. Heck, MU might have more on Tuesday for IUPUI.

MU/Panther
11-21-2016, 12:56 PM
The other thing that pisses many people off is how Lasry sucked up to the Republican legislature to get public funding. Then Feign coming out and saying that Milwaukee is racist. Combined with the Black Lives Matter gimmick on opening night, now combined with the announcement that they are boycotting Trump Hotels. Also didn't stop Lasry from owing up to 20% of Trump Hotels in his hedge fund. People just see how hypocritical this guy is and want no part of it. Thank you, for saying in a perfect way!

Goose85
11-21-2016, 01:45 PM
It was Golden State on a Saturday night. The Warriors sold out the game, not the Bucks. How about that Oct. 29th Saturday night game when the Bucks had over 12,000.
It's not the Bucks don't stay in a Trump Hotel which is the problem, it's calling the public that is paying for half of your arena just don't like being called racist. Plus, comparing the Bucks vs the Packers, is like comparing Marquette attendance vs UWM.

The Bucks will have nobody at the game tonight. Heck, MU might have more on Tuesday for IUPUI.

But that is my point, if the Bucks have a big game or are playing well people will come. Same for MU or the Packers or Brewers.
So are fans only outraged if the Bucks play Orlando, but forget they are outraged when Golden State comes to town?
Sure some might be upset, but I don't think it will have any lasting impact if the Bucks play well.

MU/Panther
11-21-2016, 02:22 PM
But that is my point, if the Bucks have a big game or are playing well people will come. Same for MU or the Packers or Brewers.
So are fans only outraged if the Bucks play Orlando, but forget they are outraged when Golden State comes to town?
Sure some might be upset, but I don't think it will have any lasting impact if the Bucks play well.

Nobody said it will have a lasting impact.

Fact of the matter is right now, the Bucks are not a winning team. Have not won since 2001 and will not win this year. So, that if, has a bad track record. Most home games for the Bucks are a joke for all the empty seats in the building.

mufansince72
11-21-2016, 04:20 PM

That is not the point. The point is the Bucks have problems selling tickets except for marquee games. The point is the Bucks should keep their politics to themselves and not alienate 50% of the potential ticket buyers at a time when they need those ticket buyers. If the Bucks were a good team and there was demand for their tickets, they could afford to anger potential buyers because there would be more people willing to buy them.

Goose85
11-21-2016, 04:38 PM
Agree the Bucks have problems selling tickets, but I think winning will change that dynamic. Also agree the Bucks have to be careful with public relations because they are not a sure fire playoff team at this point.

Bucks ticket holders that I know, that are also Republicans, haven't said anything about not going to the games for which they have tickets because they are offended the Bucks won't stay at the Trump hotel in Chicago, or that the team president called Milwaukee a racist city. I think some are using it as an excuse who didn't plan on going anyway.
I also flip between two different sports radio shows while driving home, granted my commute in the evening is short, but it is more Packer talk and haven't really heard much about a Bucks backlash.

Sure some Trump supporters may be offended, but I really don't think it is going to affect the Bucks that much, I think the W-L is what will impact attendance. I understand you disagree.

mufansince72
11-21-2016, 05:28 PM
Agree the Bucks have problems selling tickets, but I think winning will change that dynamic. Also agree the Bucks have to be careful with public relations because they are not a sure fire playoff team at this point.

Bucks ticket holders that I know, that are also Republicans, haven't said anything about not going to the games for which they have tickets because they are offended the Bucks won't stay at the Trump hotel in Chicago, or that the team president called Milwaukee a racist city. I think some are using it as an excuse who didn't plan on going anyway.
I also flip between two different sports radio shows while driving home, granted my commute in the evening is short, but it is more Packer talk and haven't really heard much about a Bucks backlash.

Sure some Trump supporters may be offended, but I really don't think it is going to affect the Bucks that much, I think the W-L is what will impact attendance. I understand you disagree.

Can we agree that Jason Kidd is the worst coach in the NBA?

MU/Panther
11-21-2016, 07:29 PM
I have to ask. Free tickets don't count. Who on here pays and attends Bucks games?

mufansince72
11-21-2016, 08:48 PM
I paid for and bought tickets to five games last season.

MU/Panther
11-21-2016, 08:56 PM
I paid and went to one game the past two seasons. Was thinking about Dec. 23 as I look for dates that don't interfere with college hoops. I might take a pass.
My wife and I will be going to our first Admirals game at UWM Panther Arena on Dec. 26 as Admirals owner Harris Turner gets it. Has handled the cold shoulder treatment of the new arena with great class.

MUMac
11-22-2016, 08:18 AM

It will have a lasting impact if they continue to be political and antagonize 50% of the population. That is not a good marketing idea. The NBA is a tough sell to begin with, compared to the other sports. Become a political beast and you lower those that would be interested in giving up their hard earned money for a ticket.

I don't care if they are conservative or liberal. It's dumb to continue to poke at half of the buying public.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-23-2016, 08:42 PM
If the Bucks win they will draw fans, anyone who wants to pretend the political stuff will hinder that is wrong. Look across the NBA there are quite a few players, and coaches speaking out about politics and the overall attendance numbers across the league set records last year in overall and average attendance. The Bucks are a young team with a bright future and a new arena coming, their attendance will rise just based off those factors. Yes the political comments may have upset a small group of folks, but I think you would be surprised by how many were unaware, or simply didn't care. I have my political views, and they don't line up with the ownership of the Bucks, but if I only purchased things from companies that had owners I liked and agreed with I would be missing out on a lot of things. Just my opinion though.

MU/Panther
11-29-2016, 07:25 PM
I'm not saying any of this has to do with is, but why risk it.
Friday night vs Toronto, the paid crowd was 16,223. Not good. Tonight vs the Cavs, doesn't even look close to sell-out. Pathetic! Edit: 16,559 was the paid crowd.

Goose85
11-30-2016, 08:27 AM
So you think on a Tuesday night 2,400 less than a sellout is not a decent crowd for a team under .500?
Do you think all of those upper deck corner seats would have normally been purchased by Donald Trump supporters who still remember the team isn't staying at the Trump Chicago?

MU/Panther
11-30-2016, 10:13 AM
So you think on a Tuesday night 2,400 less than a sellout is not a decent crowd for a team under .500?
Do you think all of those upper deck corner seats would have normally been purchased by Donald Trump supporters who still remember the team isn't staying at the Trump Chicago? I just said it yesterday, but why risk it. This franchise is a joke for years. Pathetic!! Not coming close to selling out versus Toronto and the Cavs, way more so versus the Cavs is pathetic! Bucks jack up the ticket prices and the game doesn't even come close to a sell-out. ;)

MUFAN2010
11-30-2016, 10:50 AM
I just said it yesterday, but why risk it. This franchise is a joke for years. Pathetic!! Not coming close to selling out versus Toronto and the Cavs, way more so versus the Cavs is pathetic! Bucks jack up the ticket prices and the game doesn't even come close to a sell-out. ;)

You just needed a SAD! and this would have been a great Trump tweet.

MU/Panther
11-30-2016, 10:59 AM
You just needed a SAD! and this would have been a great Trump tweet.

Believe me! :D:D

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-17-2016, 06:37 AM
Bucks are 29th out of 30 NBA teams in attendance. If there is enthusiasm, it's not showing up in attendance. Lead by a Saturday night in October that had a paid crowd of 12,570.

The Bucks are moving up in the attendance rankings, now are 26th, and closing in on 25th... no, that's absolutely nothing to brag about, but I think they are showing some promise and people are beginning to notice a very little bit. If they can stay in the playoff hunt come March / April I think they can really jump up the list and get closer to the middle of the pack. That would be a success for one of the smallest markets in the NBA.

Goose85
12-17-2016, 11:31 AM
The Bucks are moving up in the attendance rankings, now are 26th, and closing in on 25th... no, that's absolutely nothing to brag about, but I think they are showing some promise and people are beginning to notice a very little bit. If they can stay in the playoff hunt come March / April I think they can really jump up the list and get closer to the middle of the pack. That would be a success for one of the smallest markets in the NBA.

Back to back wins over the Bulls will sure help.
Giannis becoming a star with big games against big time players (Lebron - Butler / Wade) will help too.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-17-2016, 02:12 PM
Back to back wins over the Bulls will sure help.
Giannis becoming a star with big games against big time players (Lebron - Butler / Wade) will help too.

Absolutely, the Bucks are a lot of fun to watch right now, if they learn to finish games they would be 3rd in the east right now...