PDA

View Full Version : BE Schedule

Nukem2
09-07-2016, 12:49 PM
Jon Rothstein has tweeted that sources indicate that the BE schedule will be released next Tuesday.

MU/Panther
09-07-2016, 06:20 PM
Much too long of a wait.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
09-07-2016, 07:34 PM
The past three years it's always been the week after Labor Day.

Nukem2
09-08-2016, 08:56 AM
The past three years it's always been the week after Labor Day.Last year it was the day after Labor Day per MU news archives.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
09-08-2016, 10:49 AM
Last year it was the day after Labor Day per MU news archives.

For some reason I was thinking Labor Day was the 1st last year. Good catch.

IrwinFletcher
09-12-2016, 10:34 AM
A season ticket holder on Scoop says the schedule is online for him.

Open at home on the 28th vs. Gtown. Looks like National Marquette day is 2/18 vs Xavier. Close at home vs Creighton. Only one Saturday night game.

MU/Panther
09-12-2016, 12:29 PM
I wouldn't think the times are correct, as many of the non-conference reads at 6:30PM.

MU_Iceman
09-12-2016, 03:11 PM
Monday, January 16th 11:00 MU @ Butler tips off the FS1 Hoops marathon...a Monday morning...how lovely...NOT!

TheSultan
09-12-2016, 03:13 PM
Monday, January 16th 11:00 MU @ Butler tips off the FS1 Hoops marathon...a Monday morning...how lovely...NOT!

MLK Day.

MUBasketball
09-12-2016, 03:19 PM
I would have changed a few of the start times for this MLK lineup.

DePaul @ St. John's should be the first game. And Creighton @ Xavier is the 2nd game? That should be a great game, that should be the last game.

Regardless, excited for the full slate tomorrow!

MU/Panther
09-12-2016, 03:19 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CsLb3ISW8AA9f_L.jpg:small

I LOVE THIS NEW IDEA!!!!

TheSultan
09-12-2016, 03:22 PM
Better than New Year's Eve.

MU/Panther
09-12-2016, 03:55 PM
Correct, your doing a death wish going up versus the CFP and NYE.

MU_Iceman
09-12-2016, 04:11 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CsLb3ISW8AA9f_L.jpg:small

I LOVE THIS NEW IDEA!!!!

You would....a majority of people work on MLK day...I don't see how they think this will help viewership/ratings. Terrible idea...unless of course you get one of the late afternoon/evening slots

TheSultan
09-12-2016, 04:15 PM
You would....a majority of people work on MLK day...I don't see how they think this will help viewership/ratings. Terrible idea...unless of course you get one of the late afternoon/evening slots

You think every idea is a terrible idea. FS1 is trying something new to generate buzz. Can't fault them for the effort.

MayorBeluga
09-12-2016, 04:15 PM

Most large corporations are closed that day.

MU_Iceman
09-12-2016, 04:35 PM
Most large corporations are closed that day.

Maybe in big cities like Milwaukee and surrounding areas, but not in rural areas they aren't.

MU_Iceman
09-12-2016, 04:38 PM
You think every idea is a terrible idea. FS1 is trying something new to generate buzz. Can't fault them for the effort.

I don't think every idea is a terrible idea..but this one is..at least on new years eve, people are home to watch, or at least off work. MLK day a majority are not. Maybe they are trying, sure, but there has to be better ideas out there.

TheSultan
09-12-2016, 04:38 PM
Maybe in big cities like Milwaukee and surrounding areas, but not in rural areas they aren't.

So FS1 should set their schedule based on the employment practices of corporations in rural areas despite the fact that it is a league based entirely in big cities?

MU_Iceman
09-12-2016, 04:45 PM
So FS1 should set their schedule based on the employment practices of corporations in rural areas despite the fact that it is a league based entirely in big cities?

Look, not every single BE BB fan is a lawyer, doctor, educator or works in a large office that will be closed. I know why you like it, you'll be off work that day. You fail to see that EVERYONE is off New Years eve(except retail) though. what has the better chance of viewership??

Gato78
09-12-2016, 04:46 PM
African-Americans are more than a little OK with this. Of course, our recruiting base is mostly African-American kids. Not only are big companies shut down but also urban public schools and most government offices--State of Wisconsin, Milwaukee County and City of Milwaukee, for instance. I think I am taking that day off to watch the BIG EAST all day. Honestly, I am more enticed by this than taking the day off to watch the 1st (or is it 2nd?) round of NCAA Tourney.

MUFAN2010
09-12-2016, 04:54 PM
Look, not every single BE BB fan is a lawyer, doctor, educator or works in a large office that will be closed. I know why you like it, you'll be off work that day. You fail to see that EVERYONE is off New Years eve(except retail) though. what has the better chance of viewership??

I'm a doctor and my wife a lawyer and we have to work on NYE not like those fancy country folk who get that holiday off.

2012Warrior
09-12-2016, 05:43 PM
I work for a big company in Milwaukee, and we don't get that day off. I plan on taking vacation that day, plus a nice way to spend my birthday. I like the idea. Going up against Bowl Games was a losing battle, but worth a shot. College games get pretty low ratings in the grand scheme of things, so this seems pretty low risk to try to generate some buzz. This is especially if a decent chunk of people have off and it's the only College BBall on.

I am glad it's a road game and we don't have to risk lower attendance for a typically good team.

MUMac
09-12-2016, 07:45 PM
I suspect this will be marketed heavily by Fox and FS1. Great for the conference, great for MU, but it's bad for Iceman, so it's a bad idea.

warriorfan4life
09-12-2016, 07:56 PM
I suspect this will be marketed heavily by Fox and FS1. Great for the conference, great for MU, but it's bad for Iceman, so it's a good idea.

Corrected that for you.

MU/Panther
09-12-2016, 08:04 PM
Playing a marathon is a terrible idea on NYE. The Peach and Fiesta Bowl College Football Playoff starts at 2pm. Plus, it's NYE. TV viewership is bad. The marathon on Jan. 2 last year was much better than the first two years on NYE.

The NBA is heavy with day games on MLK day. The Bucks play at the Bradley Center at 2:30pm. TNT has a doubleheader with the Cavs at Warriors.

37% of Americans don't work on MLK day.

As for Georgetown being the last game of the marathon. They have too, as the Wizards play at the Verizon Center in the day.

Regular season college basketball isn't the NFL or college football. It's not a ratings draw. The outstanding thing for FS1 is there are zero college hoops games on ESPN in the day. Let's hope the NFL Fox playoff game does a promo or two.

MUBasketball
09-13-2016, 10:29 AM

Terrible idea, huh? Other conferences play day games on MLK Day. Also, Marquette hosted Louisville during the day on MLK Day five or so years ago. Were you complaining back then too?

I don't have the day off, but I'll be taking a PTO day. Perhaps a road trip to Indy. Should be a fun day!

MU/Panther
09-13-2016, 11:03 AM
http://www.bigeast.com/news/2016/9/13/MBB_0913165231.aspx#.V9giTo4rPMc.facebook

Goose85
09-13-2016, 12:39 PM
At least for many MLK day is a holiday. New Year's Eve is not a holiday. I also like not running up against college football, hoops will almost always lose that battle.

MU/Panther
09-13-2016, 01:24 PM
http://www.foxsports.com/presspass/latestnews/2016/09/13/fox-sports_-college-basketball-schedule-features-top-tournaments

mufan2003
09-13-2016, 01:53 PM
I like the MLK day marathon. A Big East marathon on New Year's Eve in future years may not be out of the question, seeing the CFP will not always be on New Year's Eve. But as ESPN noticed, the CFP suffered a massive ratings drop by playing on New Year's Eve. Just appears to be a bad day to get strong viewership.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/college-football-playoff-new-years-eve-new-schedule-saturdays-holidays-takeaways-072816

MU/Panther
09-13-2016, 03:31 PM
I like the MLK day marathon. A Big East marathon on New Year's Eve in future years may not be out of the question, seeing the CFP will not always be on New Year's Eve. But as ESPN noticed, the CFP suffered a massive ratings drop by playing on New Year's Eve. Just appears to be a bad day to get strong viewership.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/college-football-playoff-new-years-eve-new-schedule-saturdays-holidays-takeaways-072816

The CFP suffered bad this past season as you noted. Should help this year as NYE falls on a Saturday and the game times are pushed up by an hour.

Keep in mind last year, the Big East Marathon was on Saturday, Jan. 2 and saw an ratings increase.

The MLK Day on FS1 is a pretty good idea as ESPN doesn't have any college hoops or NBA games in the day. When can you say that?