PDA

View Full Version : Louisville gets Harrell, but must get rid of player

milkbone
06-04-2012, 06:37 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/59743/montrezl-harrell-gives-louisville-bonus-size

TedBaxter
06-04-2012, 06:50 PM
Sorry to sound like a jackass, but it's their problem to worry about and not ours, thank God.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
06-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Sorry to sound like a jackass, but it's their problem to worry about and not ours, thank God.

But it also means they'd have to find a creative way to provide a schollie to DFS. I can't believe the NCAA isn't looking into them. How long will Pitino be allowed to run with 14-16 scholarship guys?

IWB
06-04-2012, 10:52 PM
This has happened here before - chances are Pitino already knew someone was leaving....or not arriving. It happens, and I doubt Pitino is saying - "We have another commit, you have to go."

The majority of the transfers out during both the Crean era and now the Buzz era - they knew long before it ever came out that someone was leaving, just playing each situation in a way that helps the departing player out the best that they can.

06-05-2012, 07:38 AM
Yeah, but Pitino's getting scholarship players to pay, and there are rumors of finding academic scholarships for his basketball players (pretty sure that's against NCAA rules). Kyle Kuric and Chris Smith both became walk-ons to free up scholarships. It may not always be against NCAA rules, but I'm certainly not sure it matches the ethics of what the NCAA is trying to do (which is why I hope Todd Mayo doesn't become a walk-on on OJ's dime).

TheSultan
06-05-2012, 08:01 AM
Basketball players on academic scholarship isn't against the rules per se, but if asked, Louisville has to provide evidence that the player was worthy of an academic scholarship. (eg, does his GPA and ACT scores match "regular" students who receive similar scholarships.)

06-05-2012, 08:28 AM
Basketball players on academic scholarship isn't against the rules per se, but if asked, Louisville has to provide evidence that the player was worthy of an academic scholarship. (eg, does his GPA and ACT scores match "regular" students who receive similar scholarships.)

Hmm...still seems like a loophole. Like how Harvard is finding ways to pay for their student-athletes educations despite the Ivy League having rules against athletic scholarships. Like I said, it may not be illegal, but it certainly doesn't feel ethical.

TheSultan
06-05-2012, 08:30 AM
Well, at some point the NCAA has got to step away from their desire to over-regulate. The schools eventually have to be the ones to determine the ethics of everything involved. Honestly, it doesn't really bother me if Louisville has 20 players on their roster - they can only put five on the floor at a time.

kneelb4zerg
06-05-2012, 08:32 AM
Well, at some point the NCAA has got to step away from their desire to over-regulate. The schools eventually have to be the ones to determine the ethics of everything involved. Honestly, it doesn't really bother me if Louisville has 20 players on their roster - they can only put five on the floor at a time.

No kidding. Working around inane NCAA regulations doesn't strike me as "unethical." It strikes me as smart. Do you take any deductions on your taxes?

MUMac
06-05-2012, 08:48 AM

Pretty sure that for basketball and football, you are a "counter" if receiving any institutional scholarship monies - that would include athletic and academic.

Nukem2
06-05-2012, 09:50 AM
Think Mac is right here. For Div 1 FB and BB partticipants, any other scholarship counts toward the max # of scholies for the school.

TheSultan
06-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Pretty sure that for basketball and football, you are a "counter" if receiving any institutional scholarship monies - that would include athletic and academic.

You know what...you are right here. I had forgotten the basketball and football exceptions to that rule.

Markedman
06-06-2012, 01:04 PM
https://twitter.com/EvanDanielsFOX/status/210425800594427904

Nukem2
06-06-2012, 01:16 PM
https://twitter.com/EvanDanielsFOX/status/210425800594427904What a coincidence. Waits until 6-6 to announce a transfer...:rolleyes: Van Tresse had his career game against MU all in the last 6 minutes of that 17 point meltdown...........