PDA

View Full Version : Big East & WVU near settlement

IWB
02-09-2012, 08:06 AM
CBS Sports reports (http://brett-mcmurphy.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/29532522/34757696) that the Big East and West Virginia are nearing a $20 million settlement

Goose85
02-09-2012, 08:12 AM
Sounds like that may be the base, with added damages needing to be paid to schools for the scheduling issues caused. My guess is that may be enough for Syracuse and Pitt to say we will not cause any trouble in our desire to leave.

If I am Louisville or Cincy I try to pick up that Florida State game that WVU just dumped (costing them at least $500,000).

What about Louisville. They continue to be talked about as the next shoe to drop. I'd think $20 mil is a big chunk of change to them. If they decide to accept a Big 12 bid after this season ends, that waiting period, if not bought out like WVU, may extend them past the time frame that Texas and the Oklahoma schools are in the Big 12.

IWB
02-14-2012, 11:43 AM
Its official, West Virginia out of the Big East for $20 million (The Charleston (W.Va.) Daily Mail, citing an anonymous source, has reported that the Big East will receive $20 million in the settlement, with WVU contributing $11 million, and the Big 12 covering the remaining amount.) - West Virginia pays $11 mil of it, the Big 12 pays the other $9 mil. I assume the potential damage to the Big XII tv contract would have been much more than $9 mil.

Goose85
02-14-2012, 12:44 PM
Sounds like Boise may be the team that buys out of the Mountain West and joins Big East for next year.

Also sets the stage for others that may want early departures.
Syracuse / Pitt - WVU left two years early for $20 mil. You guys want out one year early it will cost you $10 mil.

Louisville fans want to jump to the Big 12 (I think UL football would be done with that move). Let's say Louisville does join - well the new BE buyout alone is $10 mil. Does that mean leave two years early and it's $30 mil and one year early is $20 mil? No way does Louisville pony up that money and neither would the Big 12 as they have met tv contract obligations by having 10 teams so no incentive to help like they did with WVU.

Sounds like there is still unrest out there. Does Texas / Ok stay in Big 12 or go Pac 12? Do ACC schools all stay? What if SEC takes two more, NC State and Va Tech. What if Fla State and Clemson join Big 12?

It is all just crazy and I think if there is a lot more moving around there will be many an unhappy school and fan base as a result within 5 years.

IWB
02-14-2012, 12:53 PM
So, if the rumors follow through, and SEC takes NC State & Va Tech and Big XII takes Florida State and Clemson, what then?

Do Pitt & 'Cuse return to the Big East?

Does the ACC now with Pitt, Syracuse, North Carolina, Duke, Boston College, Wake Forest, Maryland, Georgia Tech and Miami try to close out with 1 or 3 Big East football schools?

This may be far from over.

Hamostradamus
02-14-2012, 01:12 PM
Louisville fans want to jump to the Big 12 (I think UL football would be done with that move).

Agreed. Lousiville won't sniff a conference championship for years. Can't see how they think being a football doormat helps the school.