PDA

View Full Version : Three-Point Shooting

Phantom Warrior
07-31-2016, 03:28 AM
It seems to me that a major factor behind the hope MU might be able to make it back to the Big Dance this season is based on what is expected to be improved three-point shooting. It is also pretty obvious why more than just a few posters seem to feel this way.

Last year MU shots 33.9% on treys overall, which ranked seventh in the conference. In league games only, the figure dipped to 32.9%, which also ranked seventh.

Fans' expectations for improved three-point shooting seem reasonable in part because two of the least efficient shooters from behind the arc are no longer on the team. Henry shot only 28.8% on treys for the year, a pretty unimpressive stat, and Wally was even lower at 25.0%. It should also be noted that Henry averaged roughly three trey attempts per game and Wally just under one per game.

In short, even if MU added no players at all to the roster, the three-point percentage should, in theory, climb.

But the Warriors have added four players, two experienced vets and two frosh. All four have reputations as solid outside shooters. Rowsey drained a solid 38.2% of his treys his last season at UNC Asheville, not exactly eye-popping but certainly respectable. However, he attempted an almost unbelievable 8.6 treys per game, which he certainly won't do this year at MU. For his part, Reinhardt shot 37.3% last year at USC< again a decent figure but not awe-inspiring. In fact, both Haanif and JJ had higher three-point percentages than both Rowsey and Reinhardt had their last year of D-1 hoops. Still, neither 37.3% not 38.2% are shabby, and both are substantially higher than Henry's and Wally's three-point percentages a year ago.

And then, of course, there are the H & H freshmen - Hauser and Howard. Hauser took second place in the three-point shooting contest at the McDonalds' event, and Howard led the US U-19 team in three-point shooting - both outstanding credentials. Then again, one never knows how freshmen will adjust to the transition to D-1 ball. Lazar came into MU with the rep as being the "best outside shooter in his class" but hit something like 19% of his treys his first year at MU.

Still, H & H offer considerable hope that they can continue to shoot well from behind the arc.

The third reason, of course, is that both JJ and Haanif hit over 38% (38.5% and 38.7% respectively) last season, and both are probably at least 50-50 bets to improve those stats, even if only slightly. The same holds true for both Duane and Traci. Duane seemed to be dealing with some sort of leg issues last season, and it took Traci quite awhile to start draining some treys. Both could - and some would say should - raise their percentages of 34.6% and 31.4%.

I don't think we need anyone to reach Novak or Diener type percentages of over 40%. But if MU can improve from 33.9% overall to even 37.9%, let alone 38.9% this year, that should could be enough to get back to the NCAA.

I have my fingers crossed. I am guessing that like all teams that rely heavily on three-point shooting, in some games our percentage will probably be dismal and it will cost us a few games, but in others it could lead to surprising upsets. I can't wait to see how it all works out.

IrwinFletcher
07-31-2016, 08:51 AM
This team/offense is going to be so different from last year for just these points. We have a number of guys who can score from deep. In turn, that is going to open lanes for JJ, Traci and Duane, not to mention give Luke a lot of room underneath. I really think this team is going to score a bunch of points. It will come down to the ability to stop the opponent.

Nukem2
07-31-2016, 11:22 AM
Yep, offense should be good. Defense and rebounding are huge keys.

Goose85
08-01-2016, 08:58 AM
For me it is not so much that this guys shoots whatever percentage, etc. Or that the frosh shoot the 3 well in high school, or that Rowsey took a lot of threes at Asheville. It is that we legitimately have a number of guys now that can not just shoot the three, but should be expected to shoot it at a pretty good percentage.

At many points in the season this year MU may have 4 of the five guys on the floor being legit 3 point shooters. Not hard for opponents to stop from 3 if you just have one good shooter, or even two. Not the case this year.

We will now be the team that when the ball rotates we have a guy wide open for a 3.
Carter's stroke looks improved, and Howard can shoot it too. Wilson, Rowsey and Cheatham can shoot it. JJ, Hauser and Reinhardt can shoot it, as can Cohen. That right there is nine players, most of which can not just shoot the three, but if open will likely shoot it at a pretty good percentage (not expecting Novak % here).

Not only should that open lanes, but to me it seems when teams take 3's and miss, rebounds often don't go to the post players with good position, but fall out deeper where offensive rebounds are more possible.

Should be fun, and from the players I have talked to, they are really excited about this season.

2012Warrior
08-01-2016, 12:26 PM
Watching Duane at the ProAm had me concerned. It looks like he has a new shot and it reminds me a little of Dominic James. Far less fluid than his shot Freshman year. It may have been a bad shooting night but he wasn't close.