PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee Announces 2016-17 Nonconference Schedule

IWB
07-25-2016, 10:16 AM
Milwaukee Announces 2016-17 Nonconference Schedule

FOR COMPLETE RELEASE:

http://mkepanthers.com/news/2016/7/22/mens-basketball-milwaukee-announces-2016-17-nonconference-schedule.aspx

MILWAUKEE (July 22, 2016) - Contests against five different teams that played in the postseason a year ago highlight the 2016-17 Milwaukee men's basketball nonconference schedule, which was released today.

The Panthers will also play four regular-season home games during the nonconference portion of the schedule. Six of the 13 opponents also claimed 20 or more victories a season ago.

The exhibition slate opens Saturday, November 5, with the Panthers hosting Concordia University Wisconsin at the Klotsche Center for a matinee matchup starting at 2 p.m.

The home opener also has some local flavor, with Milwaukee welcoming MSOE Friday, November 11, to UWM Panther Arena for a 7 p.m. tipoff to officially open the LaVall Jordan era.

"Our non-conference schedule this season will provide us with great opportunities to challenge ourselves and compete against quality opponents each and every time out," Jordan said. "Each opponent we face will help prepare us for the rigors of competing in the Horizon League."

The first road trip takes the Panthers back to Memphis for the first time in over a decade, taking on a Tiger team Nov. 16 that fell in the American Athletic Conference Championship last year and finished 19-15 overall.

A Sunday afternoon game at DePaul Nov. 20 precedes the previously-announced stop at the Sanford Pentagon Showcase Nov. 25-27 for matchups with a trio of opponents that all went to the postseason a year ago in East Tennessee State (24-12, Vegas 16), UC Irvine (28-10, CIT runner-up) and South Dakota State (26-8, NCAA Tournament).

The month then closes with a home game against Jacksonville (16-16 in the Atlantic Sun) Nov. 30.

December brings the first trip for a UWM team to the state of Montana since 2005 for a pair of games against Big Sky foes. First up is a matchup with a Montana team that went 21-12 and played in the CBI Dec. 3. That is followed up by a visit to play Montana State (14-16) Dec. 5.

A road trip to Illinois to play former Horizon League rival Loyola (15-17) awaits Dec. 10, while a stop at Ohio Dec. 14 to play a Bobcat squad that went 23-12 and played into the semifinals of the CBI wraps up the road portion of the non-league slate.

Home games against Western Illinois (10-17) at the Klotsche Center Dec. 17 and against Belmont (20-12, NIT appearance) at the Arena downtown Dec. 19 round out the schedule.

2016-17 Milwaukee Men's Basketball Non-Conference Schedule
Sat., Nov. 5: CONCORDIA (Exhibition) - Klotsche Center/2:00 pm
Fri., Nov. 11: MSOE - UWM Panther Arena/7:00 pm
Wed., Nov. 16: at Memphis - Memphis, Tenn./TBA
Sun., Nov. 20: at DePaul - Rosemont, Ill./4:00 pm
Fri., Nov. 25: vs. East Tennessee State $ - Sioux Falls, S.D./5:30 pm
Sat., Nov. 26: vs. UC Irvine $ - Sioux Falls, S.D./2:00 pm
Sun., Nov. 27: vs. South Dakota State $ - Sioux Falls, S.D./2:30 pm
Wed., Nov. 30: JACKSONVILLE - UWM Panther Arena/7:00 pm
Sat., Dec. 3: at Montana - Missoula, Mont./TBA
Mon., Dec. 5: at Montana State - Bozeman, Mont./TBA
Sat., Dec. 10: at Loyola Chicago - Chicago, Ill./TBA
Wed., Dec. 14: at Ohio - Athens, Ohio/TBA
Sat., Dec. 17: WESTERN ILLINOIS - Klotsche Center/2:00 pm
Mon., Dec. 19: BELMONT - UWM Panther Arena/TBA

$ - Sanford Pentagon Showcase

dylanrocks
07-25-2016, 01:21 PM
I don't know why they tout games against teams that played in the CBI, CIT and Vegas 16. After all, those tournaments are just a warm bucket of spit and certainly not worth our time.

MayorCK
07-25-2016, 10:56 PM
No Badgers. Reminiscent of Marquette running away from their running deal with Green Bay after they lost.

dylanrocks
07-26-2016, 06:53 AM
No Badgers. Reminiscent of Marquette running away from their running deal with Green Bay after they lost.

I think that there may be more to it than that.

IWB
07-26-2016, 09:22 AM
When was the last time UW was not on the schedule?

Skrapheap
07-26-2016, 10:47 AM
I don't know why they tout games against teams that played in the CBI, CIT and Vegas 16. After all, those tournaments are just a warm bucket of spit and certainly not worth our time.

At least if you ask Amanda "the genius" Braun, they aren't worth our time. Why, she would never have lowered herself to play in such a tawdry spectacle, had such things existed during her playing days.

dylanrocks
07-26-2016, 04:12 PM
When was the last time UW was not on the schedule?

UW is off the schedule for the first time since 1991-92.

DKelly28
07-27-2016, 01:16 AM
UW is off the schedule for the first time since 1991-92.

UWM started the series run from 1992-2016 with a win and ended it with a win.

Montana87
07-28-2016, 01:37 PM
Those tournaments where 'beneath' UWM and the vision the lost A.D. has for the program, but now, with the non-conference schedule release, wow, she touts all those powerful teams that participated in those same un-worthy tournaments. Hypocrite to the highest level, your beloved A.D. By the way, she extends the woman's coach after going 46 - 75 her first four seasons! Tennessee must have been inquiring and the genius A.D. simply could not afford to lose such a dynasty in the making. She claims she wants stability in the program after getting rid of a 20-win season coach and with it puts a team in the toilet and replaces a former coach with a unproven look-a-like. Go nuts Panther fans, your 2016-17 team sucks!!! Also, the former coach had team last season that turns out to be the ONLY TEAM in the league to be honored by the NABC for their academic accomplishments ....AMAZING, and the hypocritical A.D. says NOTHING! Class, sheer class all the way continually shown by Milwaukee, UW-Milwaukee or UWM (great branding efforts) Athletics!!!

Montana87
07-28-2016, 03:15 PM
And they're all getting out recruited by TJ !!! Amanda, great hire, not !! Can you still look 'Val' in the eye?

dylanrocks
07-28-2016, 04:00 PM
And they're all getting outrecruited by TJ !!! Amanda, great hire, not !! Can you still look 'Val' in the eye?

Oh! What a tangled web we weave ...

MayorCK
07-28-2016, 06:05 PM
UWM started the series run from 1992-2016 with a win and ended it with a win.

Well, we can hang our hat on the bookends, and forget all the horror stories between them.

MayorCK
07-28-2016, 06:09 PM
I think that there may be more to it than that.

No doubt. I would've at least liked to see a date with Michigan on this schedule though. We haven't had a schedule with no Power 5 teams in a very long time. I don't consider the AAC (Memphis) in that category.

jhart05
07-29-2016, 09:51 AM
Oh! What a tangled web we weave ...

Paul, check your messages. Sent you something.

Skrapheap
07-30-2016, 09:16 AM
Over on the eunuch board, someone was claiming both that this is a very challenging schedule and noting that it was apparently finished and released a couple of months sooner than Jeter's staff ever achieved. (Not that i am implying that the two propositions contradict each other.)

As i said earlier, I don't know enough to judge the quality, but i am noticing the timing. Folks have been lamenting the difficulty that mid-major programs have, partly to explain why it took so long to finish a schedule? To what do we attribute the difference? Did Jeter and company hold out for better games, or at least better-timed games? Did the new staff take what they could get, or are they better negotiators? Or did the turmoil surrounding Jeter's departure and the loss of key players make Milwaukee easier to schedule this year?

dylanrocks
07-30-2016, 09:36 AM
I suspect that the Ohio and Loyola (and possibly the Montana State) games are "buy" games, suggesting both the program's diminished profile and the perception of the team going into 2016-17. Plenty of calls to these programs in the past went unreturned.

DePaul wouldn't play Milwaukee last year; this year, UWM is back on their schedule.

It seems that some have forgotten that we not only played two Big Ten teams last year, but also finagled a game at No. 17 Notre Dame.