PDA

View Full Version : Pro-Am Tonight

IWB
07-14-2016, 02:44 PM
Today is day 3 of the Scion Dental Milwaukee Summer Pro-Am, games start at 6:30 at MSOE.

Opening weekend saw some great games, MU players, a surprise on Thursday with J Parker and Friday Dwight Buycks stopped by just to check in, but couldn't take watching, grabbed a uni and suited up.

This weekend should see some more great action. MU players tonight...

6:30 - Baird vs BrewCityBall - Cameron Marotta & Duane Wilson (Wilson's debut)

7:20 - Warriors vs IWB Sports Apparel - Traci Carter & Sacar Anim

8:10 - Gruber Law vs Scion Dental - Andrew Rosey, Sandy Cohen, Haanif Cheatham & Jajuan Johnson

MUfan12
07-14-2016, 04:11 PM
One thing to add... Bastille Days starts today, and the 5K run is tonight. Street parking will be tough as there will be some closures around the Kern Center. I'd recommend parking in the pay lot on Water and Juneau.

Goose85
07-15-2016, 08:27 AM
Artie Green was in the house hanging with Bo Ellis.

Unfortunately some MU players skipped, but great to see Duane Wilson playing some very good hoops.

NBA alum Dwight Buycks and Diante Garrett played last night and it was fun to chat with them. Amazing how many local guys are making a very good living and doing well playing ball overseas. More than a handful were on hand playing last night.

Phantom Warrior
07-15-2016, 10:43 AM
Goose,

Any thoughts/observations on the MU guys who were there and played?

IWB
07-15-2016, 10:57 AM
Small showing of MU last night as they had open gym just prior. There were 10 "Euro Pros" that played last night.

MU guys should be there tonight as well as UNC/NBA's JP Tokoto and UConn's Phil Nolan.

Goose85
07-15-2016, 11:34 AM
Goose,

Any thoughts/observations on the MU guys who were there and played?

Limited sample of course as there have only been a few nights.

Some very good competition, as IWB mentioned last night alone there were 10 guys playing professionally in Europe. More UWM guys playing this year too.
Comment made last night in one game (Wilson was playing) about how much defense was being played.

Interesting how most of the Euro Pros, local college guys, MU guys, Jabari, etc all know seem to know each other. I recall last year Springs from UWM networking with the guys trying to get into better quality pickup games, etc.

Optimistic that we will be a pretty good 3 point shooting team next year, and the pro-am has only reinforced that thought. Rowsey, Wilson, Carter, Cheatham have looked good from 3. Cohen has always had a good stroke, but for him it is more confidence, and hopefully he gets that this summer.

I'm not saying Carter will be a 3 point machine or anything, but his shot looked better to me. Cheatham looks stronger. Rowsey can really fill it from the outside, and looks to have a good shot off the dribble when covered by taller defenders. I think from talking to some that Cohen may be getting his time at the 4. Good experience trying to defend Jabari Parker in one game last weekend. Cohen did show some good moves and finish on drives, which might be needed if his game is more covering / being covered by what is considered a 4. I can see him drawing a bigger defender out, and then going around him to the hoop. Anim can play taller than he is, but at this point I think his game is more on the inside. Defense, rebounding, and getting to the hoop. I would not look for him to be an outside threat.

Hope more MU guys are there tonight, as I think there will a number of very good Euro pros tonight. Great opportunity to try and cover, or beat off the dribble, those guys as they are really quick with the ball.

mufan2003
07-15-2016, 11:58 AM
Limited sample of course as there have only been a few nights.

Some very good competition, as IWB mentioned last night alone there were 10 guys playing professionally in Europe. More UWM guys playing this year too.
Comment made last night in one game (Wilson was playing) about how much defense was being played.

Interesting how most of the Euro Pros, local college guys, MU guys, Jabari, etc all know seem to know each other. I recall last year Springs from UWM networking with the guys trying to get into better quality pickup games, etc.

Optimistic that we will be a pretty good 3 point shooting team next year, and the pro-am has only reinforced that thought. Rowsey, Wilson, Carter, Cheatham have looked good from 3. Cohen has always had a good stroke, but for him it is more confidence, and hopefully he gets that this summer.

I'm not saying Carter will be a 3 point machine or anything, but his shot looked better to me. Cheatham looks stronger. Rowsey can really fill it from the outside, and looks to have a good shot off the dribble when covered by taller defenders. I think from talking to some that Cohen may be getting his time at the 4. Good experience trying to defend Jabari Parker in one game last weekend. Cohen did show some good moves and finish on drives, which might be needed if his game is more covering / being covered by what is considered a 4. I can see him drawing a bigger defender out, and then going around him to the hoop. Anim can play taller than he is, but at this point I think his game is more on the inside. Defense, rebounding, and getting to the hoop. I would not look for him to be an outside threat.

Hope more MU guys are there tonight, as I think there will a number of very good Euro pros tonight. Great opportunity to try and cover, or beat off the dribble, those guys as they are really quick with the ball.

Good report, thanks Goose.

MUwarrior1090
07-15-2016, 02:21 PM
I went last week and it seemed like the defensive effort was far higher than a couple of years ago when I attended. Mostly good basketball being played, not a ton of ISO ball (except when they cleared out for Jabari)

IWB
07-15-2016, 04:46 PM
For tonight also add in Cinmeon Bowers from Auburn and former Louisville star Jerry Smith