PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Season Top 25 +1

Phantom Warrior
05-27-2016, 08:26 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/no-1-duke-no-2-kentucky-hold-steady-in-post-draft-decisions-top-25-and-one/

Four BE teams in the Top 25, including two in the Top 5!

Had Whitehead returned, it would have been five in the Top 25.

IrwinFletcher
05-27-2016, 08:33 AM
Seton Hall could surprise some people. Losing Whitehead really hurts, but they do return 4 other starters and have a transfer PG coming in.

Nukem2
05-27-2016, 08:51 AM
Seton Hall could surprise some people. Losing Whitehead really hurts, but they do return 4 other starters and have a transfer PG coming in.Yep. The transfer is Jevon Thomas from K-State. Also have 4 star recruit Myles Powell from New Jersey who is reputed to be an outstanding 3 point shooter. Shooting has been a thorn in SHU's side at times.

MU/Panther
05-27-2016, 09:42 AM
I love the fact that Butler is getting love, but I don't see them as a Top 25 team.

Goose85
05-27-2016, 09:53 AM
Seton Hall could surprise some people. Losing Whitehead really hurts, but they do return 4 other starters and have a transfer PG coming in.

I think even without Whitehead, Seton Hall will be a top 3 team in our league. They lose a senior backup guard and Whitehead, but almost all others that saw big minutes for that team were frosh and sophs. Add in a transfer point as Fletch indicated, and I think you are looking at a top 20 team.

Nukem2
05-27-2016, 10:00 AM
I love the fact that Butler is getting love, but I don't see them as a Top 25 team.Butler loses the last of the Brad Stevens guys in Dunham and Jones who have been a big part of the Bulldogs success the past 2 seasons.

Phantom Warrior
05-27-2016, 10:15 AM
As a sophomore, Jevon Thomas averaged only 4.5 ppg and 3.3 apg in 25.8 mpg. Plus he shot only 37.8% overall from the field, 52.5% from the line, and 28.6% on treys (made 8 treys in 31 games). I'm not sure how much of an impact he'll have even if he does start at point.

warriorfan4life
05-27-2016, 10:27 AM
I think even without Whitehead, Seton Hall will be a top 3 team in our league. They lose a senior backup guard and Whitehead, but almost all others that saw big minutes for that team were frosh and sophs. Add in a transfer point as Fletch indicated, and I think you are looking at a top 20 team.

Got to disagree on this one, as a team that has poor/inconsistent point guard play will struggle against good teams. Also, Derrick Gordon was a steady influence on that team when the young guys went off track. I will likely have Seton Hall seventh in preseason Big East predictions because of their weakness at point guard.

Nukem2
05-27-2016, 10:41 AM
Kadeem Carrington could be a scoring PG.

Goose85
05-27-2016, 10:42 AM
Got to disagree on this one, as a team that has poor/inconsistent point guard play will struggle against good teams. Also, Derrick Gordon was a steady influence on that team when the young guys went off track. I will likely have Seton Hall seventh in preseason Big East predictions because of their weakness at point guard.

Point taken Warriorfan, but I think if the Hall comes in 7th in the BE that will mean no NCAA and I think Willard would be on the hot seat as there are expectations coming into this season.

warriorfan4life
05-27-2016, 11:16 AM
Point taken Warriorfan, but I think if the Hall comes in 7th in the BE that will mean no NCAA and I think Willard would be on the hot seat as there are expectations coming into this season.

I believe that 4th-7th in the conference is tightly packed, and Hall's glaring weakness at point guard has them at the bottom of the list. I compare it to Marquette losing Blue early. Like Blue, Whitehead developed into the key player on the team over the second half of his last season. In some situations, a talent like Blue or Whitehead could be replaced the next season (and in strong programs, replacing that level of player is expected). However, like Marquette, there is no replacement on the current roster for Whitehead's departure.

Nukem2
05-27-2016, 11:52 AM
I believe that 4th-7th in the conference is tightly packed, and Hall's glaring weakness at point guard has them at the bottom of the list. I compare it to Marquette losing Blue early. Like Blue, Whitehead developed into the key player on the team over the second half of his last season. In some situations, a talent like Blue or Whitehead could be replaced the next season (and in strong programs, replacing that level of player is expected). However, like Marquette, there is no replacement on the current roster for Whitehead's departure.

Kadeem Carrington slid over to PG the last 2 seasons when Whitehead was out or in foul trouble. He is no Derrick Wilson. Think they will be ok with the addition of Thomas and Powell. Some serious athletic talent on this SHU team.

warriorfan4life
05-27-2016, 01:26 PM
Kadeem Carrington slid over to PG the last 2 seasons when Whitehead was out or in foul trouble. He is no Derrick Wilson. Think they will be ok with the addition of Thomas and Powell. Some serious athletic talent on this SHU team.

Two years ago, Gibbs was the point guard and Jaren Sina was the back-up (until he left the team later in the year). Carrington does a good job protecting the ball, but also was second behind Whitehead in shot percentage and is not a playmaking type of guard. Carrington is a really good player, but not a point guard. Also, there's not an Evan Turner type point forward on their roster either to mitigate the lack of a point guard.

Nukem2
05-27-2016, 01:27 PM
Two years ago, Gibbs was the point guard and Jaren Sina was the back-up (until he left the team later in the year). Carrington does a good job protecting the ball, but also was second behind Whitehead in shot percentage and is not a playmaking type of guard. Carrington is a really good player, but not a point guard. Also, there's not an Evan Turner type point forward on their roster either to mitigate the lack of a point guard.
SHU will be fine.

Markedman
05-27-2016, 01:35 PM
I agree with Nuke.

Should be interesting to find out. I've been wrong before.....:cool:

warriorfan4life
05-27-2016, 01:54 PM
SHU will be fine.

I think they will be fine, but expect something like a 20-13, 8-10 in conference type season. I figure that 4th-7th will be closely divided between 10-8 and 8-10, with my current order being Butler, Marquette, Georgetown, Seton Hall.

Edit: In a similar vain, I have Kentucky over Duke in my preseason pecking order because Duke does not have a pass-first, playmaking type in their line-up (Grayson Allen is the closest thing to that).

Markedman
05-27-2016, 03:39 PM
I think we have a different definition of fine. Lol

20-13 8-10 isn't fine......unless you're DePaul......especially when you have everyone back other then 1 guy and are coming off a big east tourny title and a 6 seed.

MU was coming off a last place finish, improved to 20-13 8-10 and although we improved I doubt many fans viewed last season with satisfaction.

You may end up being right but if they miss the tourny and go 8-10 in conference I doubt their fans will think it's fine.

Nukem2
05-27-2016, 03:41 PM
I think we have a different definition of fine. Lol

20-13 8-10 isn't fine......unless you're DePaul......especially when you have everyone back other then 1 guy and are coming off a big east tourny title and a 6 seed.

You may end up being right but if they miss the tourny and go 8-10 in conference I doubt their fans will think it's fine.
Yep, it's not my definition of fine in this case.