PDA

View Full Version : Greek Freak Loves Milwaukee

IWB
05-26-2016, 11:21 AM
Slamonline has a great story on Giannis Antetokounmpo. Love this quote...

‘I want to do for Milwaukee what Kevin Durant did for Oklahoma City’

http://www.slamonline.com/nba/freakonomics-giannis-antetokounmpo-interview-feature-story-milwaukee-bucks/#BWx4iIDOIuvdbo8j.99

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
05-26-2016, 02:52 PM
That could be huge for the Bucks, if Giannis can turn into an elite player that could attract others, not saying he will get to KD's level, but if he can be a top 10 player in the league it may help the Bucks.

Goose85
05-26-2016, 03:19 PM
Giannis and Parker have to be our big 2, and develop into top level elite players. If that can happen, the Bucks have a chance.
Just look at the Monroe signing. While he may have been a bad fit, the idea is we seem to be able to attract relatively high level players.

With at least a big 2, you can then add pieces that fit with their game and build from there.

I am not saying Giannis or Parker are in these categories, but here are some of the big 2 that teams have.
Cavs - Lebron, Love, Irving
OKC - Westbrook, Durant
GS - Curry, Thompson, Green
Heat - Wade, ???
Raptors - Lowry, Derozan
Bulls - Butler, Rose
Spurs - Leonard, Aldridge (Duncan / Parker)

mufan2003
05-26-2016, 09:42 PM
And Middleton is coming off year 1 of his new 5-year deal. Need to figure out the other 2 starting spots and strengthen the bench. Nice thing is the flexibility. Parker can play the 4 or 3. Middleton the 2 or 3. Bucks need to take the best player at #10 and mold the starting lineup accordingly.

For example, if Henry drops to #10, draft him and play Parker at 3, Henry at 4. If Valentine at #10, play Middleton at the 3 and Parker at the 4 with Valentine playing the 2.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
05-27-2016, 07:20 AM
I would agree that Jabari and Giannis need to get to that consistent all star level for the Bucks to have some success... then you surround them with solid 3 point shooters that play good defense and you have yourself a solid team. My issue with a guy like Monroe is that he puts up good stats, but he isn't a winner, I want guys that come from a winning culture and know what it takes to win in this league. Its like Carmelo, sure his stats look good on paper, but the guy will never win a championship.

I have no illusions that the Bucks are going to be a championship contender anytime soon, however they have an opportunity to be the second best team in the East if Giannis and Jabari can really blossom in the next year or two, but they will need to be great, good probably isn't going to get it done.

AbovetheRim
05-27-2016, 08:19 AM
And Middleton is coming off year 1 of his new 5-year deal. Need to figure out the other 2 starting spots and strengthen the bench. Nice thing is the flexibility. Parker can play the 4 or 3. Middleton the 2 or 3. Bucks need to take the best player at #10 and mold the starting lineup accordingly.

For example, if Henry drops to #10, draft him and play Parker at 3, Henry at 4. If Valentine at #10, play Middleton at the 3 and Parker at the 4 with Valentine playing the 2.

I don't want any part of Jabari consistently manning the 4 without a dominant defensive center patrolling the paint. He's just way to much of a liability defensively and isn't going to rebound enough to make it worthwhile. Henry doesn't fit this team at all unless you're ready to unload Jabari. I'd love to find a Serge Ibaka type and play smaller with shooters off the bench. I think that would be the best direction in moving forward.

Goose85
05-27-2016, 10:02 AM
I'm torn on this one. I liked Poeltl in the games I saw him play, but from some comments not sure on D.

We need a center that can play D, with scoring a bit being a bonus. The more I read about Davis the more I am intrigued, however, he seems raw.

Davis appears to be the better defender, while Poeltl has more of an offensive game.
I do like Chriss from Washington too, assuming he can play along side Parker.

I'd like to see the Bucks move Monroe and whatever else to be able to get two first rounders. Grab one big guy or Chriss, and then see if they can get Valentine.
I think a guy like Valentine could really help out Giannis if he is going to play the point.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
05-27-2016, 10:24 AM
The bucks need to surround Jabari & Giannis with shooting and defense. Middleton can be a good 3rd guy, but you have to bank on Giannis and Jabari being your studs, and then everyone around them needs to be solid defenders and good shooters, that is why Monroe was a bad move in my opinion, he isn't good defensively and he needs the ball in his hands to be effective and that takes away from Jabari and Giannis. I agree with the above poster that a player like Serge Ibaka is perfect, he plays good D and can shoot it and doesn't need to be the focal point of the offense to be effective. Sadly if Dwight Howard could drop his ego on offense he could be a good fit too if he gets his head right, but we know that won't ever happen.

MUfan12
05-27-2016, 11:45 AM
It's too bad Larry Sanders had his issues. He would be the PERFECT center to play in this lineup.

Would love to see them make a run at Delly this offseason. Doesn't monopolize the ball, shoots it at a good clip, and gets after it defensively.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
05-27-2016, 01:23 PM
The problem with Sanders was his attitude... you want a good group of team players that play really hard. That is what I love about Giannis, he is a high energy guy and plays with a lot of effort.

mufan2003
05-28-2016, 04:23 PM
I don't want any part of Jabari consistently manning the 4 without a dominant defensive center patrolling the paint. He's just way to much of a liability defensively and isn't going to rebound enough to make it worthwhile. Henry doesn't fit this team at all unless you're ready to unload Jabari. I'd love to find a Serge Ibaka type and play smaller with shooters off the bench. I think that would be the best direction in moving forward.

Jabari has to improve defensively, no doubt about it. His best position might still be the 3. I do not think Henry is the Bucks' top target, but it might be too great of value to pass on if he is there at #10. 6'11" with a 7'2" wingspan, is Henry even done growing? Henry's ability to handle the ball is remarkable for his age and size. His shooting will come, he has good form. My choice right now would be to take Valentine at #10.

Some interesting free agent centers: Bismack Biyombo, Dwight Howard and Al Horford. Biyombo would be a defensive-minded center, but how much will he cost? Howard may not be what he once was, back issues? Horford is similar to Monroe, nice offensive skills but not a rim protector. Will the Bucks try to move Monroe or stick with him at least another season. Henson had problems with injuries last season, but when healthy can certainly be a shot blocker. Should be another interesting offseason. Just hope the Bucks get it right.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
05-29-2016, 06:35 PM
I like the idea of Biyombo, but after the strong playoff run he will probably get over paid somewhere and he is a bit undersized.

CaribouJim
06-01-2016, 02:09 PM
I like the idea of Biyombo, but after the strong playoff run he will probably get over paid somewhere and he is a bit undersized.

He is pretty studly though - being with the Raptors, he was been a hidden gem until their playoff run.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
06-01-2016, 06:39 PM
He is pretty studly though - being with the Raptors, he was been a hidden gem until their playoff run.

Lots of talk about him getting anywhere from $15-$20mil / per year this off season from someone... Unfortunately great defensive and rebounding big guys are a huge need for the whole league... In a perfect world I would like to see the Bucks trade Monroe & MCW, sign Biyombo, draft a PG that can shoot the 3, and sign a guy like Dellavedova for depth...

Ultimately that would make the Bucks better defensively, tougher overall, and better shooting across the board... I think a team like that could win 45 games due to really solid D.