PDA

View Full Version : Continues to look good for Big10 move to Fox

CaribouJim
05-18-2016, 05:52 PM
http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/05/18/espn-big-ten-media-rights-fox-delany

MU/Panther
05-18-2016, 09:40 PM
Tim Brando*‏@TimBrando

I huge addition to @FOXSports and @FS1 as momentum builds towards the fall. Congratulations and Welcome @chris_spielman great to have you!

TheSultan
05-19-2016, 09:18 AM
Fox is clearly going to get a big portion of the deal. I think Delany's comments regarding ESPN are a negotiating ploy. It would be interesting however if the B10 goes all-in on Fox or splits it with a network like NBC.

Goose85
05-19-2016, 09:35 AM
Is it possible for ESPN to decide not to go overboard buying content from the Big 10, but then work out a deal with Fox to buy some games?

If ESPN doesn't get the Big 10, what other conferences do they have for football? Isn't the SEC with CBS and the Pac 12 with Fox?

TheSultan
05-19-2016, 09:56 AM
The SEC only has a game a week on CBS. The rest is ESPN. I think the B12 has "second tier" rights with Fox. (ESPN gets the first game, Fox the second choice, and the rest to ESPN.) Not sure about P12 but I know they are on both Fox and ESPN.

ESPN might not be going overboard...or at least offering enough from the B10's point of view. I don't think ESPN needs the Big 10, but they have huge audiences for both football and basketball. Both sides are taking risks here, but that's business right?

MUMac
05-19-2016, 10:37 AM
The SEC only has a game a week on CBS. The rest is ESPN. I think the B12 has "second tier" rights with Fox. (ESPN gets the first game, Fox the second choice, and the rest to ESPN.) Not sure about P12 but I know they are on both Fox and ESPN.

ESPN might not be going overboard...or at least offering enough from the B10's point of view. I don't think ESPN needs the Big 10, but they have huge audiences for both football and basketball. Both sides are taking risks here, but that's business right?

In addition, the SEC Network is a Joint Venture with ESPN. I don't see the SEC leaving ESPN anytime soon.

Goose85
05-19-2016, 10:48 AM
So it looks like ESPN will have plenty of good content with or without the Big 10. Based on that information, and seeing that ESPN is in an expense reduction mode, no huge deal if they scale back on the Big 10.

From a beyond regional interest standpoint, Michigan and Ohio State only play once, and each play Michigan State. Are there really any other games that will be big national tv draws?

IWB
05-19-2016, 10:59 AM
Not following it closely like you guys, but does this tie in basketball too or will that be a separate deal?

TheSultan
05-19-2016, 12:43 PM
Not following it closely like you guys, but does this tie in basketball too or will that be a separate deal?

All programming unless specific provisions indicate otherwise. (For instance, CBS gets a B10 basketball game on Sundays.)

TheSultan
05-19-2016, 12:46 PM
So it looks like ESPN will have plenty of good content with or without the Big 10. Based on that information, and seeing that ESPN is in an expense reduction mode, no huge deal if they scale back on the Big 10.

From a beyond regional interest standpoint, Michigan and Ohio State only play once, and each play Michigan State. Are there really any other games that will be big national tv draws?

But it can be a huge deal if significant numbers watch games on networks that compete with ESPN.

And college football doesn't have a great deal of "big national TV draws." The SEC has Alabama and Florida. The B12 has....Oklahoma? P12...USC and maybe Oregon.

It is a regional sport with a few national games that draw attention. The B10 is a BIG region.

MU/Panther
05-19-2016, 01:26 PM

It would be a loss losing the B1G for ABC/ESPN. even schools like Penn State, Iowa, Nebraska & Wisconsin turn the needle.

MU/Panther
05-19-2016, 01:28 PM
But it can be a huge deal if significant numbers watch games on networks that compete with ESPN.

And college football doesn't have a great deal of "big national TV draws." The SEC has Alabama and Florida. The B12 has....Oklahoma? P12...USC and maybe Oregon.

It is a regional sport with a few national games that draw attention. The B10 is a BIG region.

SEC has Alabama, Florida, LSU, Tennessee and a bit less Georgia, Auburn that move the needle. Any SEC high ranked moves the needle. 2014 was a great year for CBS in the ratings.
Big 12 is Oklahoma and Texas
Pac-12 is USC and Oregon turn the needle.

The Big 12 and the Pac-12 share 1st tier right with ESPN & FOX.

MU/Panther
05-19-2016, 01:29 PM
Not following it closely like you guys, but does this tie in basketball too or will that be a separate deal? Half of the B1G deal reported to go to FOX/FS1 is for 50 basketball games and 25 football games.

Markedman
05-19-2016, 06:48 PM
Big East/Big 10 double header nights would be pretty cool.

FS 1s version of Big Monday......on Tuesday,or Weds.

MU/Panther
05-20-2016, 07:26 PM

If college football is a regional sport, what is college basketball? College football has moved into a national sports behind the NFL in ratings. You have the 2:30pm window of games combined anywhere from a 7 to a 11 rating. This was aided by the start of the BCS in 1998.