PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Schedule update

Markedman
05-11-2016, 02:00 PM
Georgia home and home added

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/379023251.html?ipad=y

Markedman
05-11-2016, 02:09 PM
Not sure if it was a factor but with Georgia sharing a border with Florida and TN will be a relatively easy game for JJ and Haanif's families to attend.

MU/Panther
05-11-2016, 02:14 PM
A reported home-and-home series between Marquette and Utah will not take place, the source confirmed.

bleedbluegold03
05-11-2016, 02:20 PM
+ Georgia - Utah is a major downgrade for me

MulliganMusings
05-11-2016, 02:28 PM
As a resident of metro Atlanta (Suwanee) I am very happy to see this. My guess is the Utah home and home will happen in a couple of years when Bailey enrolls. In the meantime I think this is a great strategic move getting some exposure in a market that produces a significant number of highly rated high school basketball players each year.

Goose85
05-11-2016, 03:44 PM
We get plenty of buy games, and seem to play in a tournament type event each year, so any time we get relatively good home and home games it is nice to see for season ticket holders.

Hopefully we add another, and also still work something out with Utah in the future.

The Reptile
05-11-2016, 04:41 PM
As a resident of metro Atlanta (Suwanee) I am very happy to see this. My guess is the Utah home and home will happen in a couple of years when Bailey enrolls. In the meantime I think this is a great strategic move getting some exposure in a market that produces a significant number of highly rated high school basketball players each year.

Swanee, jeez, you're practically in South Carolina. :)

TheSultan
05-11-2016, 05:25 PM

Next time I hope that Marquette is more in tune with your scheduling opinions.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
05-11-2016, 06:32 PM

I disagree. Georgia is probably a small step down, but I'd rather play the lesser team. Both will be worthwhile RPI opponents. Ideally aim for mid to low level teams in high major conferences and mid to high level teams in mid to low major conferences.

Nukem2
05-11-2016, 07:29 PM
I disagree. Georgia is probably a small step down, but I'd rather play the lesser team. Both will be worthwhile RPI opponents. Ideally aim for mid to low level teams in high major conferences and mid to high level teams in mid to low major conferences.
Utah loses Poeltl and others. Georgia could well be the better team next season.

IrwinFletcher
05-11-2016, 07:34 PM
I wonder if Bailey was going to change his plans and come to MU in the fall, thus the Utah rumor. Then, maybe things changed and the Utah thing is going to be put off for a couple of years.

Markedman
05-11-2016, 07:42 PM
I wonder if Bailey was going to change his plans and come to MU in the fall, thus the Utah rumor. Then, maybe things changed and the Utah thing is going to be put off for a couple of years.

No evidence at all to believe that to be the case.

By all accounts Bailey was always going to take his mission.

MU/Panther
05-11-2016, 07:43 PM
The news of losing Utah is disappointing after be happy about adding Georgia. Was looking forward to having Utah and Georgia in the Bradley Center in 17-18.

IWB
05-12-2016, 08:50 AM
The talk may have been MU vs Utah in 2018 & 2019 all along, but whoever got wind of it reported that they were working on a home and home.

We will have to wait a couple of years to see.

MU/Panther
05-14-2016, 07:07 PM
Couple of updates
Home opener is Monday, November 14th
Wisconsin is the 2nd Saturday in December 10th.
Big East opener, December 28th. Sounds like a home game.

TedBaxter
05-16-2016, 09:20 AM
Jumping ahead to the 2018-2019 season when the new arena opens, I'd like to see the first home game in the arena be Wisconsin, since it is using some taxpayer funds and if not UW, Notre Dame would be a nice surprise.

Goose85
05-16-2016, 09:25 AM
Jumping ahead to the 2018-2019 season when the new arena opens, I'd like to see the first home game in the arena be Wisconsin, since it is using some taxpayer funds and if not UW, Notre Dame would be a nice surprise.

I don't think for their first home game MU would want a bunch of red shirts in the stands.
I like the idea of ND, and if not ND hopefully some other relatively big name hoops school.

Gato78
05-16-2016, 09:30 AM
Duke.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
05-16-2016, 11:15 AM
I am really hoping for Grambling State...

Markedman
05-16-2016, 04:46 PM
UW will sell out anyway so they will probably want a different opponent as the first game to get another full house.

The problem is.....how many top programs are willing to open the season on the road against a high major program?

Usually they want to ease their way into those kind of games by playing a few buy games first.

Phantom Warrior
05-16-2016, 05:07 PM
How about UWM?

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
05-16-2016, 06:34 PM
How about UWM?

Wonder if they'd swallow their buy game pride to open the Silk Exotic Entertainment Center.

MulliganMusings
05-17-2016, 08:28 AM
Swanee, jeez, you're practically in South Carolina. :)

Reptile you're quite right, about a little more than an hour south of Clemson. My oldest daughter actually is a a proud Gamecock and will be a senior at USC this year. My high school sophomore, at St. Pius X in Atlanta, is seriously considering Marquette but it's early. Thought, when Buzz was at MU, that we might schedule a home and home with Frank Martin at USC. Happier to take the less than 1 hour drive to Athens to see MU take on UGA. UGA is losing two top players in guards Kenny Gaines and Charles Mann but should have a very competitive team. Love that MU is getting exposure in a major market within a very strong high school basketball region.

MulliganMusings
05-17-2016, 08:30 AM
UW will sell out anyway so they will probably want a different opponent as the first game to get another full house.

The problem is.....how many top programs are willing to open the season on the road against a high major program?

Usually they want to ease their way into those kind of games by playing a few buy games first.

IIRC Marquette was the opening opponent, for Iowa, when Hawkeye-Carver Arena opened and Marquette got absolutely crushed.

MU/Panther
05-28-2016, 01:23 PM
Jon Rothstein*‏@JonRothstein

Many SEC coaches believe Georgia could be league's second-best team behind Kentucky. Dawgs return strong 1-2 punch in Frazier/Maten. Tough.

The Reptile
05-31-2016, 10:42 AM
Reptile you're quite right, about a little more than an hour south of Clemson. My oldest daughter actually is a a proud Gamecock and will be a senior at USC this year. My high school sophomore, at St. Pius X in Atlanta, is seriously considering Marquette but it's early. Thought, when Buzz was at MU, that we might schedule a home and home with Frank Martin at USC. Happier to take the less than 1 hour drive to Athens to see MU take on UGA. UGA is losing two top players in guards Kenny Gaines and Charles Mann but should have a very competitive team. Love that MU is getting exposure in a major market within a very strong high school basketball region.

My son will be attending USC in the fall. Looking forward to some visits to Columbia in the fall.

MulliganMusings
06-01-2016, 12:09 PM
My son will be attending USC in the fall. Looking forward to some visits to Columbia in the fall.

My daughter is on track to graduate in December and has had a great experience in Columbia; absolutely loved her time at USC.