PDA

View Full Version : Real Good Article on the Resurgence of DWade

CaribouJim
05-11-2016, 12:08 PM
http://fansided.com/2016/05/11/dwyane-wade-evolution/

When the wheels kind of started to fall off not too long after the '06 championship I was thinking he was going to have one of those Gale Sayers' careers - all too brief greatness - but he came back strong and lead the USA in scoring at the '08 Olympics and was mostly healthy and sound through the LBJ years and then the wheels again started to get rickety again last year and I didn't have too high expectations for him again - nice to see how things are going now.

Raptors are tough though - don't see their guards throwing up bricks again tonight like they did in game 4. Would be nice to see them go up against the Cavs.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
05-11-2016, 12:17 PM
For D Wade it has always been about one thing... health. If he is healthy he is really good borderline great, if he isn't then you get a much watered down version.

Nukem2
05-11-2016, 12:56 PM
For D Wade it has always been about one thing... health. If he is healthy he is really good borderline great, if he isn't then you get a much watered down version.Guess all athletes perform better healthy versus being injured....;)

mufan2003
05-11-2016, 02:20 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:15499037

Say what you want about Stephen A Smith, but he is dialed into the NBA. He says in the video clip that Wade lost 20 pounds during the offseason. I know Wade refocused on nutrition after the disappointing Finals performance in 2014, when he looked done, but 20 pounds really surprised me. That is a lot of weight.

Wade is 34, Maybe 3 to 4 years left in his career? He could not be in a better place than Miami with Pat Riley. Riley always wanted his teams to be the toughest and best conditioned team. No doubt in my mind he has personally challenged Wade to maximize every moment remaining in his career.

TedBaxter
05-13-2016, 08:08 AM
Wade could play 3-4 more years or he could retire after this year. We'll see.

Posted this a couple days ago on Twitter about Wade never having been the highest paid player on the Heat. In this day and age it's almost unheard of a guy staying with one team when he is a star, yet not paid like todays stars. Don't have time to find it right now. When he was winning the first championship, Shaq was paid something like $27 million a year and Wade was between $2-$3 million. 10 years later he still isn't close to that Shaq level.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
05-13-2016, 10:32 AM
Wade was smart and sacrificed some money for success and championships. The reality is he quickly realized that he was going to make plenty of money as is and it was worth giving up a few million to win more... doesn't hurt that his wife is independently wealthy too :P

I would imagine if you look at the money he makes on his outside business ventures he probably makes more from endorsements and side businesses than he does from the NBA anyway.

CaribouJim
05-13-2016, 12:50 PM
Wade was smart and sacrificed some money for success and championships. The reality is he quickly realized that he was going to make plenty of money as is and it was worth giving up a few million to win more... doesn't hurt that his wife is independently wealthy too :P

I would imagine if you look at the money he makes on his outside business ventures he probably makes more from endorsements and side businesses than he does from the NBA anyway.

...and those often long runs in the playoffs helped boost his brand that in turn helped drive those juicy endorsements that often dwarf their base salaries. You really do build, in a very large part, your personal brand in the playoffs.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
05-13-2016, 12:56 PM
...and those often long runs in the playoffs helped boost his brand that in turn helped drive those juicy endorsements that often dwarf their base salaries. You really do build, in a very large part, your personal brand in the playoffs.

It would have been interesting to look at how much he would have made if he went for max deals and gave up some team success like a guy like Carmelo Anthony did, vs how much he made doing things the way he did... you will never be able to fully know, but I would bet that D Wade made that money back and then some by winning championships and pairing up with Lebron.

2012Warrior
05-13-2016, 01:09 PM
Not only did he take less money for LeBron, but I believe all 3 took a little less money so they could pay Haslem.

I think he's making pretty big money on the Chinese shoe deal. I think his line of socks are also popular.

Gato78
05-13-2016, 01:32 PM
He is associated with Tie Bar. Ties and socks are really good and very reasonably priced. Mrs. Gato loves his wine.