PDA

View Full Version : I can't wait to say this correctly

Jimmy Lemke
04-22-2016, 08:12 PM
LaVall Jordan has his DOBO:

Link: Chinedu Nwachukwu Bio at Saginaw Valley State (http://www.svsucardinals.com/sports/mbkb/coaches/Chinedu_Nwachukwu)

Chinedu Nwachukwu will take over as Director of Basketball Operations. Still looking for the third assistant and a video coordinator. Graduated HS in 2006, bachelor's in economics and master's in business administration from Michigan. So it's another Michigan guy for Coach Val's staff. In no way am I doubting the Michigan program at all here, but I kind of hope the last two spots are taken by outsiders - maybe someone Val coached at Butler/Iowa, or played with. If it's AJ Graves the first thing I'm going to have to do is apologize for all the sh*t I shouted at him for two years.

As for Chinedu, he's got plenty of coaching experience - so this could be someone to be groomed for a coaching spot when an assistant moves on.

I can't wait to learn how to pronounce his name correctly - did anyone stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night? I always feel satisfied when I pronounce someone's long Polish last name. But I've lived my life on the southwest side, so long Polish names are something you see daily.

Here's a guess: Chin-ay-doo En-wah-chook-woo?

IWB
04-22-2016, 08:28 PM
A few years back I was the color guy on a radio broadcast for a Marquette vs Wauwatosa East game. Before the game I asked a Marquette assistant how to pronounce Dare Ogunbowale. He said don't worry about it, he's not gonna play. 2 minutes into the game two of Marquette's guards have 2 fouls each and here we are early in the first quarter, Dare heads to the scorers table. I look at the coach and he just threw his arms up in the air like, "what the hell"?

Jimmy Lemke
04-22-2016, 08:43 PM
A few years back I was the color guy on a radio broadcast for a Marquette vs Wauwatosa East game. Before the game I asked a Marquette assistant how to pronounce Dare Ogunbowale. He said don't worry about it, he's not gonna play. 2 minutes into the game two of Marquette's guards have 2 fouls each and here we are early in the first quarter, Dare heads to the scorers table. I look at the coach and he just threw his arms up in the air like, "what the hell"?

Dare Ogunbowale is easy. It's pronounced "Mitchell Friedman."

parkerj
04-22-2016, 08:55 PM
Haha, watch Hard Knocks from last year. One of their fan favorites trying to make the roster was a WR named Uzoma "EZ" Nwachukwu, but I can't find clips of them saying his name and everyone just called him EZ before interviews in college

BBF
04-22-2016, 09:26 PM
Standard Nigerian pronunciation, I assume. Actually it sounds pretty much like it looks, with a little West African tang to it of course.

In the mid 90s Wisconsin had a player named Osita Nwachukwu. It's a common name.

dylanrocks
04-22-2016, 09:43 PM
Wa chook' wu. The 'N' is silent.

Right, Fran?

Jimmy Lemke
04-23-2016, 10:53 AM
I just don't want to be the rude guy that can't pronounce his name a year from now.