PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday I finally got my first contact from the administration

BBF
04-09-2016, 06:36 PM
I got an e-mail inviting me to come to the PC for the new coach.

And I thought "are you kidding me?"

I responded politely, because the message came from someone I like very much who had absolutely nothing to do with this backstabbing horrorshow. But in my response I made it very clear that after all the years, all the donations, all the volunteer professional committee work I had done at the request of the Athletics administration, all the games and events I had attended, all the times I had traveled to watch the team, I was withdrawing my support.

This is extremely painful for me. I have been going to games since Charlie Parsley was roaming the Baker Fieldhouse sidelines. I was writing about it almost a decade before Lavall Jordan was born. I have been as reliable a booster and promoter of this program as I could be, in every way I could. As much as I hated the ridiculous decision to abandon the brilliant HLT on-campus format, I even went to Detroit last month! I doubt there's a person who knows me who doesn't know how committed a Milwaukee fan I have been. And I have done all this despite having to endure, as we all have, the constant chaos and low comedy behind the scenes in the department and at the University when it came to athletics support.

But there comes a point where you have to say "enough!" This was it. I simply cannot abide rewarding or accepting what has occurred. Especially when the architect of this debacle has roots so shallow in this University and this program that she probably doesn't even know where Baker Fieldhouse was.

And here's the really sad part. I don't believe there's a single fan, donor or sponsor who has pulled out -- myself included -- who wouldn't return and get behind LaVall Jordan in a heartbeat if only it wouldn't associate us with the bad behavior and untrustworthiness to which the program we love was subjected. The biggest lie I have seen repeated and urged is that those of us who have pulled our support did so only because we were "friends" with Coach Jeter. As if we don't understand that coaches come and go. Of course, that was not what enraged us at all, and those who claim not to understand that are being truly and powerfully disingenuous.

The bitter truth is that right now the program does not deserve our support. And until things change, won't have it.

Skrapheap
04-11-2016, 08:29 AM
The response to your posting of this on the eunuch board is interesting. Do none of your detractors have courage enough to respond openly? Are they actually so insecure as to feel it necessary to create new user names to attack you?

BBF
04-11-2016, 08:57 AM
No substantive response, of course, just banal snark. But what are the toadies going to say? The administration wants people to look away from the bloody sausage making and get in line, and the newly minted sausage eaters over there are trying to bury the issue in ad hominem attack.

I'll stack my support for this University and our program up against absolutely anyone's. If they believe it's immaterial that people like me are so repulsed by what has gone on that we cannot in good conscience continue that support, it tells you all you need to know about who's in charge now.

JGPanthers
04-11-2016, 09:02 AM
Fran,

What changes are you demanding in order to support the program again? Is it as simple as firing Amanda Braun?

BBF
04-11-2016, 09:12 AM
Actions have consequences -- or should. Misbehavior has consequences -- or should. The chancellor needs to step in and act to assure us that our program will not be controlled by those who have abused their obligations to it, whether through rank incompetence or ambitious malice or both. There are different ways to do that, but without that happening -- soon -- there will be permanent disaffection of people and sponsors that a program like ours can't afford to lose.

By the way, I found it astonishing that there was an article about finding new sponsors that didn't contain the phrase "to try to fill the immediate hole created by the sponsors and boosters who have left the program in disgust."

jhart05
04-11-2016, 10:07 AM
I am going to wait and see what happens with the players. If they endorse the new coach by staying, then I will stay to support them. If many of them don't stay, because of the AD, I'm taking the 2016-17 season off, and will reassess for the 2017-18 season.

I'm about 80% sure I'm going to be taking next season off.

Regardless, I won't stay in my same section for a few reasons. I'll only list the #1 reason, the others I don't care to say. I was about 5 rows away from the AD's seats. I would have to move to the other side of the court to get away from her.

So with that, I'm taking the summer off from all things Panther related.
Maybe see you guys in the fall.

Have a good summer everyone.

Skrapheap
04-11-2016, 10:07 AM
By the way, I found it astonishing that there was an article about finding new sponsors that didn't contain the phrase "to try to fill the immediate hole created by the sponsors and boosters who have left the program in disgust."

I don't think Amanda Braun will acknowledge that "sponsors and booster who have left the program in disgust" even exist, unless forced to. And then she disparages them, no matter how long before the Jeter era the sponsor's relationship began.

No surprise there. She's been circling the wagons ever since she got the first pushback from her decision not to allow the Men's BB team to go to a post-season tournament.

It would be interesting to know, since allegations of Braun alienating sponsors and boosters started circulating almost immediately after she started the job (allegations i admit i discounted at the time as the gripings of someone who just didn't like Braun), what numbers of sponsors/boosters and what dollar values have been driven away from supporting Panther Athletics, and how those totals compare to the numbers of donors and dollars pledged/donated that Braun and her proxies on the eunuch board have been touting. An increase such as she has claimed loses a great deal of luster if any significant part of the increase is filling in a hole she created herself.

Montana87
04-11-2016, 10:11 AM
BBF is so right on. Braun fired a man to be replaced by a younger clone. And it wasn't even her first choice and allegedly if not for civic organizations stepping in, Jordan wouldn't be here as well. A Joe Madden-like coach wasn't available to replace Jeter. This UW-Milwaukee basketball team is not the equivalent to the 1969 Washington Redskins. BBF is also right that Braun has NO idea where Baker used to be. 99% of the Panther world had NO idea who LaVall was 40 days ago, and now HE is going to take UWM to higher levels? Not as long as Eva is running the athletic department. Sincerely and with ALL honesty, good luck Coach Jordan. Wish you all the success in the world. Too bad your AD is a paranoid liar.

dylanrocks
04-11-2016, 10:18 AM
'Heap, I believe that Fran was alluding to a reference to the exiled sponsors by the story's author.

Also, your questions about money raised vs. money pledged is a query that 'Hawk has been posing for weeks without a hard answer.

JGPanthers
04-11-2016, 10:26 AM
If 99% of the Panther world didn't know Lavall Jordan's name 40 days ago, then that says much more about our collective lack of knowledge of the college basketball landscape than it does about Jordan. My guess is that 99% is a far exaggerated number. Coach Vall was well regarded as an assistant coach and in coaching circles and was paid as such. We are lucky to have him.

TheDarkHawkReturns
04-11-2016, 10:30 AM
First, let me say that while I am not buddies with Fran, I know him well enough to know he is typically not prone to rash actions. He was even part of a private emails exchange and asked to be removed to make sure he remained above reproach. I remember him all the way back to the Majerus lunch talk and coming away with the sense that he was a sober, reflective guy who was realistic about things, in comparison to my more aggressive and perhaps less realistic positions. Losing Fran is a bigger deal than many would understand.

As for the hard questions, I never expected any answers. I kinda already know them, which is why I didn't expect any real response with supporting facts. (Hey Fran....never ask a question you don't already know the answer to, right? :) )

Interestingly, I got a response from the Chancellor to an email I sent. It was dismissive, and read like a press release out of the AD, not the true feelings or thoughts of Mone. It even contained the oft repeated lie about how UWM funds the program at the highest level in the Horizon League.

It's clear that the problem here is more than AB. Mone needs to grow a set, or go somewhere else.

dylanrocks
04-11-2016, 10:33 AM
If 99% of the Panther world didn't know Lavall Jordan's name 40 days ago, then that says much more about our collective lack of knowledge of the college basketball landscape than it does about Jordan. My guess is that 99% is a far exaggerated number. Coach Vall was well regarded as an assistant coach and in coaching circles and was paid as such. We are lucky to have him.

Sadly, he is not nearly as lucky to be here.

JGPanthers
04-11-2016, 10:41 AM
Sadly, he is not nearly as lucky to be here.

I tend to disagree (and think you do too); notwithstanding our Athletic Director, who clearly handled the entire situation about as poorly as she possibly could. I can only hope that Lavall can be a change agent in a department that is in desperate need. I realize this is asking too much of him, but one can hope that his success leads to greater things for our beloved program.

MU/Panther
04-11-2016, 11:17 AM
It's clear that the problem here is more than AB. Mone needs to grow a set, or go somewhere else.
Bingo, that's what I've been saying.

dylanrocks
04-11-2016, 12:11 PM
I tend to disagree (and think you do too); notwithstanding our Athletic Director, who clearly handled the entire situation about as poorly as she possibly could. I can only hope that Lavall can be a change agent in a department that is in desperate need. I realize this is asking too much of him, but one can hope that his success leads to greater things for our beloved program.

I'm going to discuss my position about this with my good friend JG mostly off the board (Lord knows that things around here are frictious enough), but I will say for the record that L.J. is set up to fail in the current climate.

What happens if he goes 19-13 in his first year? That won't meet the standards of the current administration, correct? Will he be bought out? Put on watch? Is it possible for an A.D. to supervise a coach more than sending him a text message during a game?

Do these people realize that in order to post a top 100 RPI out of the Horizon League every year you'll need about 25 wins every year ... or was that just a flimsy excuse used to end the season and jettison the coach?

BBF
04-11-2016, 12:35 PM
dr, in fairness, those minimum expectation standards may have just been pureed horse manure invented to try to create a justification for a decision that had already been made, and that were offered to the press post facto to try to deflect the withering criticism of the manner and timing of that decision and of the gamesmanship that preceded it.

So LaVall is probably safe after year one no matter what happens.

But in year two, LaVall? Keep your attorney's and agent's numbers in your speed dial. You may need them.

shaun
04-11-2016, 08:09 PM
BBF.

I'm getting tired of all this negativity. We get it, you don't like AB, you don't like Mone, you don't like Panther fans who disagree with you, you don't say anything positive about LaVall,you aren't going to support the program until...whenever. Yet you keep posting on both boards?? I agree with much of what you say, by the way. The way that AB handled everything was awful. I don't mind Jeter being fired, but just the way it went down was not good. But what is done is done, that is in the past now. If you don't want to be a Panther Fan anymore that is fine, you have that choice, I respect it. Go root for the Badgers or Marquette instead. But I'm just tired of hearing all this complaining, not just by you, but others too. Whether we like it or not, a new chapter of UWM (Uw-Milwaukee? Milwaukee? I never know what to call it) has begun. I for one, will still follow closely and go to games when I can. I like coach Jordan and see much potential in him. He earned a head coaching job (glad its ours) and deserve support.

BBF
04-11-2016, 10:41 PM
First of all, let's get something straight. LaVall Jordan seems like a nice kid. I have absolutely nothing against him. But how would you describe him? Well, he's young, he has never been a head coach at any level, and he's a long time assistant for a Big Ten coach who teaches a slow, deliberate style. Does that sound at all familiar? If not, I invite you to watch his press conference or listen to his interview with Bob Michaels. Now close your eyes, and imagine that instead of LaVall Jordan, it's Rob Jeter talking. Because the things LaVall is saying are exactly what Rob has said a thousand times. The things LaVall values are exactly what Rob values. So let's be honest: we have been put through all this, endured this debacle among donors and sponsors, witnessed the fan base thrown into an uproar, so that we could get Rob Jeter 2.0! What is that about? And trust me, I'll be very happy if LaVall turns out to be as good a coach as Rob was. But what was that about?

Jimmy has suggested that it will all be different now, that LaVall will get the support withheld from Rob and (don't forget this, because it's critical) our players. That because LaVall is "her guy" the clouds will part and the sun will shine and the birds will sing. If he fails, she fails.

To which I will reply by reminding you of the parable of the scorpion and the frog.

Negativity? Try objectivity. Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

shaun
04-12-2016, 06:48 AM
First of all, let's get something straight. LaVall Jordan seems like a nice kid. I have absolutely nothing against him. But how would you describe him? Well, he's young, he has never been a head coach at any level, and he's a long time assistant for a Big Ten coach who teaches a slow, deliberate style. Does that sound at all familiar? If not, I invite you to watch his press conference or listen to his interview with Bob Michaels. Now close your eyes, and imagine that instead of LaVall Jordan, it's Rob Jeter talking. Because the things LaVall is saying are exactly what Rob has said a thousand times. The things LaVall values are exactly what Rob values. So let's be honest: we have been put through all this, endured this debacle among donors and sponsors, witnessed the fan base thrown into an uproar, so that we could get Rob Jeter 2.0! What is that about? And trust me, I'll be very happy if LaVall turns out to be as good a coach as Rob was. But what was that about?

Jimmy has suggested that it will all be different now, that LaVall will get the support withheld from Rob and (don't forget this, because it's critical) our players. That because LaVall is "her guy" the clouds will part and the sun will shine and the birds will sing. If he fails, she fails.

To which I will reply by reminding you of the parable of the scorpion and the frog.

Negativity? Try objectivity. Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

I think that you are letting your dislike of AB affect your view of Coach Jordan. The best thing you have ever said about him is that he is a "nice kid". He's 37 years old!! I do understand that he has a similar background to Jeter, but guess what, he is a completely different person. I don't know if he will be good or not. Neither do you. He could be worse, the same as, or better, than Jeter. I think Jeter was slightly above average. We knew what we were going to get with him. I don't mind taking a chance on a new coach, whoever that may be. You are only looking at their resumes. But hiring someone involves much more than that.

I see potential in him, because everything I have heard about him, has been good. Everyone that he has worked with, coached, people that know him personally, say very good things about him. I think we have reason to be excited about the future of Milwaukee basketball. Y

What I still don't get though, is why you keep posting? You've said a bunch of times, on both boards, that you are no longer supporting the Panthers. So you are not a fan, yet you still keep coming back to post negative things? I think there is a Marquette guy that does the same thing. Not a fan of the Panthers, yet can't help himself with coming on our message boards and crapping over everything.

Skrapheap
04-12-2016, 07:44 AM
Shorter Shaun: Go away, Fran.

dylanrocks
04-12-2016, 08:25 AM
I find it amusing that Fran is now being accused of chronic negativity after 11 years of "blind optimism and apology."

Maybe he simply feels as if he's standing on principle?

TheDarkHawkReturns
04-12-2016, 08:32 AM
Shaun, I think you have missed Fran's entire point. It is quite plain what he has to say, if you pay attention.

We were told Jeter HAD to go because his style (on and off the court) didn't sell tickets and he was not achieving at a high level (I remind you of the measures - Top 100 RPI and Top 3 in the Horizon).

Fran's point is, and there is little to suggest otherwise at this point, LJ has the exact same style - off and on the court.

Off the Court: He is a very nice and humble man. He is God fearing with high ethical standards. He is very knowledgeable about basketball and has a lot of experience as a D1 assistant, mostly in the Big 10. He is NOT (and neither was Jeter) a human billboard, full of pizzazz, he is not a rah-rah promoter, and he will never be confused for a Pearl-style program builder. We were told RIGHT AFTER THE FIRING that this was the type of guy we would hire and we needed. This hire is essentially what we were just told we didn't want.

On the Court: LJ espouses tough defense and rebounding. He has spent his ENTIRE career playing and coaching in systems that DO NOT RUN (look it up) and play mostly half court set offenses, using a lot of shot clock and working for a good shot. He is also a head coach for the first time, so there is no realistic argument to be made that his presence alone will result in either Top 100 RPI's (which in the Horizon requires 25+ wins per season) or even perennial Top 3 in the Horizon League. He has no head coaching record to base either expectation on at all.

Neither Fran, nor I, say this as any criticism to LJ. None of these things are "bad" at all. What they are is 180 degrees the opposite of what we were told BY AB we were going to hire. What we DID hire is a younger, cheaper version of Jeter after being told that Jeter was not good for the program.

Which leads Fran and many others to the following: Jeter was fired because Jeter was Jeter, as a person, not as a coach or head of the program. It was personal, not professional. And it was happening for years before she finally scraped together the money to do this. It was the execution of a vendetta, not running an Athletic Department.

Had she hired a coach with ample head coaching experience, championships to his credit, and an outgoing salesman and promoter, this criticism could not be levied. She didn't.

She essentially traded in her 2005 Ford F-150 for a 2016 Ford F-150, in the same color, with the same options while telling the world the F-150 needed to go because we needed a Mustang GT 500. We are all now supposed to pretend that the 2016 F-150 is a Mustang GT 500, goes 0-60 in 4 seconds, and turns heads everywhere it goes.

But, it's still a truck. Useful, reliable, and not at all flashy. And definitely not a Mustang GT 500.

dylanrocks
04-12-2016, 08:57 AM
In addition to what 'Hawk posted, I think that it's also important to note that the Panthers posted two of the TEN 20-win seasons in the program's Division 1 history in their last two postseason-eligible years.

That's decidedly not mediocre. It's amazing to me today how much Jeter gets his feet held to the flames for Seasons 2 through 4 and 8.

Of course, his dismissal really wasn't about that.

BBF
04-12-2016, 09:33 AM
Shaun, I call LJ a kid with no derogation. I was already beginning a professional career when he was yet to be born.

Now, that aside, let's turn to your straw man argument. (Astute readers might say "Which one?" but I'm talking about the one that has you most excited.) I have said I am withdrawing my support (and have told that directly to the athletic administration and to the Chancellor). No more money. No more time taken out of an extremely busy schedule to work on department projects. No more season tickets. No more proselytizing the program to the rest of the world. Not until things change.

But I am going nowhere. In fact, you can rest assured that I'll be here long after our current AD and even our new coach are gone.

No one has outlasted me yet.

Montana87
04-12-2016, 11:24 AM
Fran, you make to much sense to even converse with the blind like Shaun. You are right on with all your points. Braun made a grave mistake. If this was the Mafia, she'd be dead for she made it personal. This had nothing to do with business. Watch your back Amanda.

Montana87
04-12-2016, 11:33 AM
Go Fran!!!

dylanrocks
04-12-2016, 12:16 PM
Oh, one more thing:

UWM has won as many as 25 games once in the history of the program.

OK, you may continue.

Skrapheap
04-12-2016, 03:04 PM
By the way, Fran, do you have any guesses who "B. Smooth" and "Pendleton" on the eunuch board are? i'm not asking for names, just do you recognize the posting style?

But probably you have much more important uses for your time, so feel free not to waste any of it indulging my curiosity.

i think Dark Hawk's summary of the situation is as lucid as it can possibly be.

And Dylan, you make two excellent points.

Well done, Sirs.

BBF
04-12-2016, 04:14 PM
No idea and it's not worth the time to figure it out. Someone who won't send me a Christmas card -- that I know. ;)

PantherFan1997
04-13-2016, 01:10 PM
Here's my story about the athletic department...

My family has had season tickets going back to the first time we played at MECCA (that's what it was called then - Fran, I know you remember those days). That's a span of over 25 years.

Before this last season, I made the difficult decision to not renew my seats.

Shortly before the season started, I received 2 sets of season tickets in the mail. (This was after Brian left, and a sign of transition pains or incompetence).

I called the ticket office to tell them I had received the tickets, had not paid for them, was not renewing season tickets, and asked what I should do with the tickets received.

"Oh, sorry, you can just shred them, throw them out, or send them back." Absolutely nothing about why I'm not renewing, etc.

And they wonder why season ticket sales are down 60%.

TheDarkHawkReturns
04-13-2016, 01:12 PM

My family has had season tickets going back to the first time we played at MECCA (that's what it was called then - Fran, I know you remember those days). That's a span of over 25 years.

Shortly before the season started, I received 2 sets of season tickets in the mail. (This was after Brian left, and a sign of transition pains or incompetence).

I called the ticket office to tell them I had received the tickets, had not paid for them, was not renewing season tickets, and asked what I should do with the tickets received.

"Oh, sorry, you can just shred them, throw them out, or send them back." Absolutely nothing about why I'm not renewing, etc.

The embarrassment is palpable. Literally the most inept administration in the last 10 years....and that is really saying a lot.

Jimmy Lemke
04-13-2016, 04:06 PM

Welcome to the U Board!

It's incredible how bad things are.