PDA

View Full Version : Big East TV Contract Estimates From Navigate

ge1974
05-31-2012, 06:44 PM
Interesting article regarding TV contracts and the revised Big East;

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/may/31/big-east-will-pay-sdsu-firm-says/

According to Navigate:

•Football-only members in the Big East stand to make $7.8 million per year. Basketball-only members would make $3.2 million per year, and full members in all sports would make $11 million.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
05-31-2012, 07:50 PM
Is that better, worse, or the same as the ACC for football schools?

MU_Iceman
05-31-2012, 10:14 PM
Is that better, worse, or the same as the ACC for football schools?

Way less. The ACC's new deal will pay each member 17 mill. If these #'s are accurate for the BE, it's really disappointing to me.

The Reptile
06-01-2012, 05:19 AM
Hard to say. The ACC deal is back end loaded. Many believe the number they threw out represents the best annual figure from the contract. There's also a renegotiation clause towards the end of the contract so they may never get to these payouts. We would need to know the annual payouts for both contracts to make an apples to apples comparison.

TheSultan
06-01-2012, 06:16 AM
While the ACC deal may be backloaded, it is still more lucrative than this would be. The average annual payout will be $17M. BTW, $3.2 million for a school that doesn't play football is about as good of a deal as MU can get. This is better than I thought the BE would do.

EDIT: I had the wrong figure for the ACC earlier. It is $17M...I had originally said $13M.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
06-01-2012, 10:21 AM
While the ACC deal may be backloaded, it is still more lucrative than this would be. The average annual payout will be $17M. BTW, $3.2 million for a school that doesn't play football is about as good of a deal as MU can get. This is better than I thought the BE would do.

EDIT: I had the wrong figure for the ACC earlier. It is $17M...I had originally said $13M.

Does anyone know how backloaded? The ACC deal is for 15 years. If the schools are (hypothetically) getting $13 million for the first 10 years and $25 million for the last 5, with a renegotiation clause after 10 years, they'll never get close to that $17M average. The Big East deal would be a lot more reasonable if it were truly heavily backloaded. Of course, if it's $16M for 10 years and $19M for the last 5, that's a completely different situation.

IWB
06-01-2012, 10:31 AM
Any idea what the breakout would have been had they agreed to the original ESPN renewal offer before the Iscariot wing decided to bolt?

Mark Miller
06-01-2012, 11:04 AM
"Iscariot wing" --- love it!!!

Ironic thing is West Virginia, Pitt and Syracuse got their "30 pieces of silver" for leaving the Big East, too.

TheSultan
06-04-2012, 01:30 PM
BTW...each Big Ten school made almost $25M last year.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/illini/big-ten-payouts-estimated-at-million/article_41763ece-a120-11e1-b930-0019bb30f31a.html

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
06-04-2012, 02:39 PM
BTW...each Big Ten school made almost $25M last year.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/illini/big-ten-payouts-estimated-at-million/article_41763ece-a120-11e1-b930-0019bb30f31a.html

I think that's to be expected. The Big Ten and SEC due to the overinflation of football right now are going to be the juggernauts. I don't think any other conferences, maybe the Big 12, maybe, can hope for those types of deals. I definitely think in terms of comparison shopping for deals, it's the ACC we need to try to be competitive with.

Goose85
06-04-2012, 02:58 PM
I think the Big East can come pretty close to the ACC (I know, I'm glass more than half full). As far as I can tell, the ACC is backloaded so for the period prior to the first restrucure look-in point, they will get around $13 mil per school per year initially (of course there have been different reports on the amount).

The deal is structured so there are two opportunities for either party to redo the deal. I think this deal gets redone prior to hitting that later year escalation period that is about 10 years down the road. If Florida State / Clemson or others leave, I would think the contract does not escalate as currently planned.

SEC is the big dog, hard to touch them. Big 12 only shares with 10 teams so per school money is huge, similar to the Big 10. Pac 12 owns the west coast so they are in good shape.

These four big time conferences and the ACC have recently completed deals. That could work in the Big East's favor, as the Big East is the last shot for networks to get 'bcs' conference programing for many years to come.

If a network, such as NBC, is concerned about conference stabilty they can pay the Big East what the ACC is getting (initial years of the deal) and my guess is the network should be able to see a pretty stable Big East conference (why would anyone else pay the Big East to leave for ACC to earn the same amount).