PDA

View Full Version : Bo Ryan doesn't make Basketball Hall of Fame

russguss
04-04-2016, 11:06 AM
But Tom Izzo did....

from JSOnline:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/badgers/bo-ryan-doesnt-make-basketball-hall-of-fame-b99699499z1-374494571.html

No Potrykus byline and it Doesn't say who wrote the article.... hmmmm

TheSultan
04-04-2016, 11:41 AM
Not many "modern" college coaches have gotten in without a D1 national championship. Lou Carnesecca, Ray Meyer (who inexplicably got in in 1979 while it took Al until 1992), and Guy Lewis are examples. I think Bo is a good coach, but does he reach *that* level good?

Goose85
04-04-2016, 11:51 AM
Not many "modern" college coaches have gotten in without a D1 national championship. Lou Carnesecca, Ray Meyer (who inexplicably got in in 1979 while it took Al until 1992), and Guy Lewis are examples. I think Bo is a good coach, but does he reach *that* level good?

Good point Sultan. Rick Barnes may be very similar to Bo Ryan.

Barnes made the NCAA tourney his last 3 years at Clemson (he was there 4 years), and then 14 straight at Texas, including a final four and a couple elite 8s. Before taking over Tenn this past year he made the tourney in 19 of his last 20 years as head coach. Seems similar to Ryan, yet I don't consider Barnes a hall of famer.

Nukem2
04-04-2016, 11:53 AM
He will probably get it ultimately, but its probably too early given that lack of a Div I championship. Those Div 3 championships will help him get in along with the two Final 4s.

bleedbluegold03
04-04-2016, 12:39 PM
He belongs in the HoF in my opinion. Too good for too long not to be

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
04-04-2016, 01:25 PM
I guess it really depends how you want to classify a hall of famer, he certainly was consistently good for a very long time, was he great? for two years yes, but other than that he was just consistently good, which to me isn't a hall of famer...

Gato78
04-04-2016, 01:28 PM
Bo is carrying a little baggage right now. Not a palatable choice until some time has passed. Besides, who would be the woman behind the man?

MUfan12
04-04-2016, 01:51 PM
Besides, who would be the woman behind the man?

Never stop recruiting, hey?

WindyCityGoldenEagle
04-04-2016, 02:09 PM

yes

Goose85
04-04-2016, 03:13 PM
yes

Would you think Rick Barnes is hall of fame level?
What about Bob Huggins. He has taken teams to two final fours and two elite eight appearances (2) at two different schools. A run of 19 out of 20 years making the big dance while coaching 3 different teams.

Bo coached 16 years at the D1 level if you don't include this year. In those 16 D1 seasons, he made it past the Sweet 16 3 times.

Without a D1 national title, and advancing past the sweet 16 just 3 times, that to me doesn't really seem like a hall of fame resume. Maybe I am not giving credit to D3 coaching, but normally hall of fame is not because you did well at the D3 level.

mufansince72
04-04-2016, 05:09 PM
Why would anyone think that douchebag deserves to be in the hall of fame?

WindyCityGoldenEagle
04-04-2016, 05:23 PM
Would you think Rick Barnes is hall of fame level?
What about Bob Huggins. He has taken teams to two final fours and two elite eight appearances (2) at two different schools. A run of 19 out of 20 years making the big dance while coaching 3 different teams.

Bo coached 16 years at the D1 level if you don't include this year. In those 16 D1 seasons, he made it past the Sweet 16 3 times.

Without a D1 national title, and advancing past the sweet 16 just 3 times, that to me doesn't really seem like a hall of fame resume. Maybe I am not giving credit to D3 coaching, but normally hall of fame is not because you did well at the D3 level.

Agree that his D3 coaching shouldn't be included, nor was I including it in my answer.

Your bolded comment, while all a fact is a great example of how one can make numbers look in their favor by omitting key metrics. He won 4 Big Ten regular season titles, 3 Big Ten tourney titles, went to 14 straight NCAA appearances including 4 S16s, an E8, F4 and runner up.

No doubt about it, he probably left some significant opportunities on the table during his NCAA tournaments. However, in the history of college bball only 31 coaches have been to 3 or more FF's so to make the case that not winning it all or only going to 2 FF's makes him not elite is incorrect in my opinion. Bob Huggins is a HOF'er, just as Rick Barnes is in my opinion. Just because someone never wins the big one, doesn't preclude them from being considered an elite HOF coach.

Only a select few coaches have produced that level of consistency for that long of a duration with multiple deep runs which makes Bo an elite coach deserving of the HOF.

(I am currently wiping the filth off my computer board after typing that as I hate Bo as much as the next guy, but he's deserving of the HOF someday).

mufansince72
04-04-2016, 06:04 PM
Screw D3, when I was at Whitewater we kicked his ass :) This D3 stuff is ********. His team was in the NAIA. He routinely took 3rd or 4th in the WSCUC. Everyone else was NCAA D3. He was in the NAIA so he got to go to their tourney.

Djgoldnboy
04-04-2016, 06:23 PM
Agree that his D3 coaching shouldn't be included, nor was I including it in my answer.

Your bolded comment, while all a fact is a great example of how one can make numbers look in their favor by omitting key metrics. He won 4 Big Ten regular season titles, 3 Big Ten tourney titles, went to 14 straight NCAA appearances including 4 S16s, an E8, F4 and runner up.

No doubt about it, he probably left some significant opportunities on the table during his NCAA tournaments. However, in the history of college bball only 31 coaches have been to 3 or more FF's so to make the case that not winning it all or only going to 2 FF's makes him not elite is incorrect in my opinion. Bob Huggins is a HOF'er, just as Rick Barnes is in my opinion. Just because someone never wins the big one, doesn't preclude them from being considered an elite HOF coach.

Only a select few coaches have produced that level of consistency for that long of a duration with multiple deep runs which makes Bo an elite coach deserving of the HOF.

(I am currently wiping the filth off my computer board after typing that as I hate Bo as much as the next guy, but he's deserving of the HOF someday).

I hate to say that I think he should be in too, but I agree with you 100%. I just puked a little up in my mouth.

mufansince72
04-04-2016, 07:51 PM
This Bo HOF crap is just ridiculous in my opinion. Is Billy Donavan in the HOF? He was a damn good player and won championships at Florida. How about Bill Self. He won championship as well, he is not there. What the hell has Bo ever done?

TheSultan
04-04-2016, 08:11 PM
Screw D3, when I was at Whitewater we kicked his ass :) This D3 stuff is ********. His team was in the NAIA. He routinely took 3rd or 4th in the WSCUC. Everyone else was NCAA D3. He was in the NAIA so he got to go to their tourney.

Bo was in the NAIA his first six seasons. Didn't win any championships. In his seventh season, the first in the NCAA, he won his first national championship.

D3 titles should count for something.

Nukem2
04-04-2016, 08:19 PM
Bo was in the NAIA his first six seasons. Didn't win any championships. In his seventh season, the first in the NCAA, he won his first national championship.

D3 titles should count for something.
They should, whatever the hate we all may have for things Bucky an Bo.

mufansince72
04-04-2016, 08:22 PM
They should, whatever the hate we all may have for things Bucky an Bo.

I think we should put Dave Vandermuellen in the HOF then

WindyCityGoldenEagle
04-04-2016, 08:29 PM
This Bo HOF crap is just ridiculous in my opinion. Is Billy Donavan in the HOF? He was a damn good player and won championships at Florida. How about Bill Self. He won championship as well, he is not there. What the hell has Bo ever done?

Billy Donovan will be in the hof. Bill Self will be in the hof.

Bo will someday be in the hof. Take off the blue and gold colored glasses and objectively look at the resume of Bo. I laid it out for you in a previous post yet you keep saying what has he ever done? So rather than me posting what he has done again for you, I'll ask this - what is it on Bo's resume (or missing from his resume) in comparison to other hof college coaches that should preclude him from the hof?

Here's a link to all the coaches inducted including their accomplishments: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_coaches_in_the_Naismith_Memorial_Basketbal l_Hall_of_Fame

A few quick examples from the list - Lou Carnaseca, Pete Carrill, John Chaney - you're going to tell me these hof coaches resumes are that much more than Bo's to not even warrant discussion of Bo being in the hof? Please...I'd take Bo's resume over all 3 of those guys in a heartbeat.

mufansince72
04-04-2016, 08:53 PM
Billy Donovan will be in the hof. Bill Self will be in the hof.

Bo will someday be in the hof. Take off the blue and gold colored glasses and objectively look at the resume of Bo. I laid it out for you in a previous post yet you keep saying what has he ever done? So rather than me posting what he has done again for you, I'll ask this - what is it on Bo's resume (or missing from his resume) in comparison to other hof college coaches that should preclude him from the hof?

Here's a link to all the coaches inducted including their accomplishments: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_coaches_in_the_Naismith_Memorial_Basketbal l_Hall_of_Fame

A few quick examples from the list - Lou Carnaseca, Pete Carrill, John Chaney - you're going to tell me these hof coaches resumes are that much more than Bo's to not even warrant discussion of Bo being in the hof? Please...I'd take Bo's resume over all 3 of those guys in a heartbeat.

What is missing? I would say a ring for starters.

TheSultan
04-04-2016, 09:02 PM
He just compared him to three HOF coaches without rings. That was his point.

TheSultan
04-04-2016, 09:03 PM
I think we should put Dave Vandermuellen in the HOF then

He won two and never coached D1 as a head coach.

Really you are being intentionally obtuse now.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
04-04-2016, 09:06 PM
Like carnasecas, carrill and cheyneys rings?

mufansince72
04-04-2016, 09:07 PM
He won two and never coached D1 as a head coach.

Really you are being intentionally obtuse now.

Then the other guys shouldn't be in the HOF either.

mufansince72
04-04-2016, 09:08 PM
Bo can have his own little hall of fame with Rick Pitino. The credentials that Bo have do not even merit remote consideration in my opinion. Then you combine it with the douchebaggedness, and it is a complete no go.

warriorfan4life
04-04-2016, 09:15 PM
Then the other guys shouldn't be in the HOF either.

In the current Hall of Fame voting/induction standard, Bo absolutely belongs. A lot of similar/slightly worse coaching resumes are already in the Hall.

Now, I would argue that the Hall of Fame in basically every sport has too low of a standard for induction. If you limited induction to the truly elite players and coaches, Bo would not deserve to be in the Hall of Fame.

IWB
04-04-2016, 09:41 PM
Here is a question - I see that Gard just won the College Inaider Jim Phelan Coach of the Year award.

So, if Gard was 15-8 with that group, yet Bo was only 7-5 with losses to teams like UWM, Western Illinois, Marquette and Georgetown, what does that say about Bo's coaching vs Gard's?

mufansince72
04-04-2016, 10:21 PM
All I know is that Billy D has back to back National Championships, 3 elite 8's, and another final four and is not in the HOF. So all of you who are crying because Bo and his two final fours, no championships, and a couple of D3 championships is being screwed are crazy.

mufansince72
04-04-2016, 11:29 PM
Jay Wright > Bo

TheSultan
04-05-2016, 08:55 AM
All I know is that Billy D has back to back National Championships, 3 elite 8's, and another final four and is not in the HOF. So all of you who are crying because Bo and his two final fours, no championships, and a couple of D3 championships is being screwed are crazy.

I don't believe anyone said he was "screwed." They said he was deserving. If Donovan gets in first, I don't think many would argue. It's not as though they will only allow one more coach in. Usually there is one or two every year.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
04-05-2016, 01:20 PM
Here is a question - I see that Gard just won the College Inaider Jim Phelan Coach of the Year award.

So, if Gard was 15-8 with that group, yet Bo was only 7-5 with losses to teams like UWM, Western Illinois, Marquette and Georgetown, what does that say about Bo's coaching vs Gard's?

Gard could be better than Bo, who knows only time will tell. That's a completely different discussion.

But I assume your question was asked in jest? A half a year snapshot, should not have much of a negative impact on Bo's on the court legacy which should be held in a pretty damn high regard imo.

Markedman
04-05-2016, 03:53 PM
I think it just means with everything that was going on it was time for Bo to go.

MayorBeluga
04-05-2016, 03:56 PM
I think it just means with everything that was going on it was time for Bo to go.

Apparently that's what she said. :cool: