PDA

View Full Version : Nova

Nukem2
04-02-2016, 06:49 PM
Nova is putting on a clinic in the NCAAs. Very much like UCLA back in the day. Really impressive.

Nukem2
04-02-2016, 07:04 PM
Guess OK now knows the sorrows of MU in 2003.

TedBaxter
04-02-2016, 07:24 PM
Big Least.

ValiantSailor
04-02-2016, 07:25 PM
Really impressive that that top two FG pct in a FF both belong to 'Nova.

VS

mufan2003
04-02-2016, 08:07 PM
Held Kansas to lowest output of the season (59). Defeated Oklahoma by 44 points.

ValiantSailor
04-02-2016, 09:37 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2016/04/02/villanovas-romp-to-the-national-title-game-gives-the-big-east-needed-validation/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-low_villanova-845pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

VS

CaribouJim
04-02-2016, 10:07 PM
Reece Davis just quizzed the ESPN post game panel as to what two teams have met the most time in the NCAA tourney and no one could guess - he gave them the answer of MU vs Kentucky and the panel seemed pretty surprised - Reece failed to mention that MU is leading the series 6-4.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
04-03-2016, 01:06 AM
Guess OK now knows the sorrows of MU in 2003.

All year long I've felt Oklahoma was incredibly reminiscent of Marquette in 2003, with Hield playing the role of Wade. All the way down to them being destroyed in the Final Four.

TheSultan
04-03-2016, 08:02 AM
I think Nova is going to have some trouble with UNC. Long, tall and athletic. Much more difficult for them to get open looks.

I wonder what JP Tokoto is thinking right now?

Nukem2
04-03-2016, 09:22 AM
I think Nova is going to have some trouble with UNC. Long, tall and athletic. Much more difficult for them to get open looks.

I wonder what JP Tokoto is thinking right now?Perhaps JP was addition by subtraction?

MUAlphaBangura
04-03-2016, 09:31 AM

I wonder what JP Tokoto is thinking right now?

On the surface, that sure seems to be the way it could go. Yet Syracuse had plenty of open looks last night. They just couldn't hit much. Nova has been making shots consistently in this tourney regardless of the defenses they've played against. Carolina is long and athletic, but they are very soft and I've yet to see them play at the intensity level that Villanova does. I will not discount Nova's toughness. They seem to be really focused. I think they will punch Carolina right in the face.... let's see how Carolina responds. I feel really good about Villanova's chances.

Phantom Warrior
04-03-2016, 10:15 AM
It would be awesome if Nova knocked off UNC tomorrow, and not just from the standpoint of it helping the image/status of the BE. It boils my blood to see the Tarheels in position to win an NC after all of the academic fraud that lasted for so many years there.

Even if none of its present players participated in the fraud, it happened and continued on Roy's watch...for years. There was no way that he and members of his staff were blissfully unaware of what was going on. Too many players involved over too many years for him to not know.

The fact that there have still been no consequences for years of explicit cheating is disgraceful.

CaribouJim
04-03-2016, 10:40 PM
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/04/03/ncaa-tournament-villanova-big-east

Good article on the Big East. Confirming again that sounds like Creighton going rogue talking about expansion.

TheSultan
04-04-2016, 08:45 AM
I don't want to say that Creighton is having second thoughts about joining the BE, because I don't think that's the case at all. But I wonder if they feel like an outlier. They're geographically more distant and don't have any natural rivals in the conference. (I know Marquette used to play them regularly, but not for a long while.) It might just take some time before they feel "comfortable."

Phantom Warrior
04-04-2016, 09:25 AM
Creighton's a.d. should shut up and thank his lucky stars the Blue Jays are no longer in the MVC.

CaribouJim
04-04-2016, 09:27 AM
I don't want to say that Creighton is having second thoughts about joining the BE, because I don't think that's the case at all. But I wonder if they feel like an outlier. They're geographically more distant and don't have any natural rivals in the conference. (I know Marquette used to play them regularly, but not for a long while.) It might just take some time before they feel "comfortable."

I'm definitely glad that the Big East has them - hard to ignore those 17,000 + fans they generate each game. Geographically (and maybe culturally for now) they are an outlier for sure as the map in the link below shows - Big East is fairly concentrated geographically with the exception of CU.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_East_Conference

MUfan12
04-04-2016, 09:30 AM
Creighton's a.d. should shut up and thank his lucky stars the Blue Jays are no longer in the MVC.

No kidding. That program has such an inflated view of itself since 13-14's team with Doug, Wragge, et al.

MU/Panther
04-04-2016, 09:30 AM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2016/04/02/villanovas-romp-to-the-national-title-game-gives-the-big-east-needed-validation/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-low_villanova-845pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

VS

"The Big East still faces plenty of questions, particularly in regard to an onerous television contract with Fox Sports, which hurts its exposure."

How does games on FS1, FS2, FOX, FSN (RSN's) CBS, CBSSN or games right by ESPN hurt the exposure?

TheSultan
04-04-2016, 09:44 AM
"The Big East still faces plenty of questions, particularly in regard to an onerous television contract with Fox Sports, which hurts its exposure."

How does games on FS1, FS2, FOX, FSN (RSN's) CBS, CBSSN or games right by ESPN hurt the exposure?

Not to mention that it is the most lucrative television contract the current BE members have ever seen.

MU/Panther
04-04-2016, 10:00 AM
4 million per school that don't have FBS level football and have to match 85 sports for women's sports.

Markedman
04-04-2016, 10:39 AM
ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo 7m7 minutes ago
Villanova & UNC have outscored tournament opp. by 202 pts, largest combined margin of victory in tournament history for teams in title game.

CaribouJim
04-04-2016, 10:53 AM

No question that the Fox contract is pretty lucrative for the Big East members, but the Fox ratings overall and for the BE, although improving, have been been pretty weak. That is why I think collectively the OOC scheduling for the BE is so important and not bad if a good chunk of those (hopefully high profile) tournaments and one off games are on ESPN where they are still the default go to sports network. Let folks see the quality of ball being played in the Big East to the point where they are seeking out what channels to watch BE games and eventually make it a habit to channel surf FS1 etc. to catch a game.

The Nova run has been huge for the Big East although the X loss still stings - an ND game would have been fun and I think X could have won - having two BE teams in the Elite 8 would have been awesome.

You can kind of consider the Big East as an early stage company and sampling should still be part of their business plan IMO.

MUfan12
04-04-2016, 11:21 AM
I hope Fox can get FS1 bunched with the sports networks in the channel lineup. Viewers are more likely to land on a game if they're flipping through ESPN/ESPN2/RSN and find FS1 right there.

Having FS2 in HD would be nice as well.

TheSultan
04-04-2016, 11:26 AM
I hope Fox can get FS1 bunched with the sports networks in the channel lineup. Viewers are more likely to land on a game if they're flipping through ESPN/ESPN2/RSN and find FS1 right there.

Having FS2 in HD would be nice as well.

With DirectTV both are the case!

mufan2003
04-04-2016, 02:27 PM
Also good for the league will be players not projected as 1st round picks to return to school. Bentil, Whitehead, Watson, Reynolds, Bluiett, etc. The conference could be really strong again next season if those players return. Xavier could use losing in the 2nd round the same way it motivated Nova this season.

russguss
04-04-2016, 05:28 PM
FS1 + FS2 are both in HD on DishNetwork...:cool:

Nukem2
04-04-2016, 10:29 PM
Wool hHooo! Be!

MU/Panther
04-04-2016, 10:35 PM
Yes yes, I'm shaking I'm so exhausted and excited!

CaribouJim
04-04-2016, 10:41 PM
What a game!!! Go Big East!!! Was not confident if it went into OT.

Gato78
04-04-2016, 10:50 PM
Onions!!!!!!

CaribouJim
04-04-2016, 11:13 PM
Doug Gottlieb must be pissed!

So the Big East finished @ 9-4. Just wished X beat UW.

CaribouJim
04-04-2016, 11:15 PM
Onions!!!!!!

Come on Henry - that could be you in a couple years - money can't buy that!!!!

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
04-05-2016, 08:50 AM
Was at the game last night, what an experience, I wanted Nova to win of course but that will go down as one of my all time best sports memories that I have seen live... what a game, the atmosphere was SO good.