PDA

View Full Version : Marty Greenberg - APR ban NOT ON JETER

Jimmy Lemke
03-29-2016, 03:41 PM
Link: Greenberg shows APR ban not Jeter's fault: NCAA (http://www.greenberglawoffice.com/uwm-basketball-under-supported-and-under-fire/)

Jimmy Lemke
03-30-2016, 05:37 PM
I found the Athletic Board minutes from when they were notified of the ban:

Link: https://www4.uwm.edu/secu/docs/faculty/2960_ATHL_BRD_1_nual_Report.pdf

This was the first year for the new NCAA APR policies requiring a higher four-year APR score of 930 in order to participate in the postseason the following campaign. Even before this 4 year average was announced numerous changes had been set in place by the administration of the athletic department to address the two components of the APR, student performance (e.g., grades/graduation) and retention. Academic support staff was limited in the past, with just one advisor on staff prior to 2011. An additional staff position was created in 2011 and a third advisor was added to the staff in 2013. At full staff of counselors can monitor, identify problems earlier, and offer support to enhance academic success. Further a class for incoming student-athletes that helps them transition to college life is now available and was put in place two years ago. Beginning in the fall of 2013, studentathletes have been screened for learning needs to identify anyone that may need additional academic support. It is anticipated that these changes already implemented will enhance the academic performance of students and remediate the low APR scores in two of the four years of the current cycle.

But as Greenberg stated, the APR ban was on the university's athletic department administration. Note that Braun probably had little to do with this, since she came in right at the tail end. But the 2012-13 season was a bad one. Check out this PDF:

Link: NCAA APR Public Report (https://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/apr2013/797_2013_apr.pdf)

Here's my problem with this 852 score: two players from that 2013 class - Paris Gulley and Demetrius Harris - should not have been counted against the APR score, as Gulley was signed on to play professionally and Harris obviously went pro with the Chiefs. Players that go pro should not be counted against the university's APR score. We all know the Haarsma story.

The fault lies with whoever was in compliance, and whoever the athletics administrator was who oversaw compliance and/or men's basketball for not catching this.

My question to Braun would be this: from 2013 into spring 2014, the program failed to successfully appeal this. The only people who suffered were inside the basketball program. Why did the appeal fail? She wasn't here for the original paperwork eff-up (or too busy getting settled, which is fine of course), but certainly knew the decisions being handed down. So how could the appeal fail? Harris, who obviously is a professional athlete, should have counted for us in appeal.

Also, on an unrelated note, how did JayQuan McCloud's appeal make it all the way to December before he was approved to play? I'm not saying it's on you, Amanda, I'm just wondering if you can provide insight on it.

Anyway, she's obviously not a member of the message board. Maybe a surrogate can get the answers and come back.