PDA

View Full Version : Untucked Jerseys

Mucrisco
03-20-2016, 10:47 AM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14986291/uni-watch-friday-flashback-marquette-untucked-jersey-look-was-great-mid-70s-ncaa-tournaments

What was the reasoning for the NCAA to ban the untucked jerseys? Anyone remember that time period?

Nukem2
03-20-2016, 11:16 AM
I think Al McGuire knew. :)

CaribouJim
03-20-2016, 11:24 AM
They did get a waiver for the 15th anniversary game vs. Memphis and Anfernee Hardaway. Maybe William Gates best game - played really great D against Hardaway in the win.

Jerome did miss the layup though when they brought out the '76-'77 team to run their offense under the direction of Al.

They should ask for a waiver again next year - have each Big East school host a throw back unis game next season with both teams wearing them.

Father Dan's Camera
03-20-2016, 05:40 PM
Said it was an unfair recruiting advantage for MU, NCAA was a joke back then too....

TheSultan
03-20-2016, 05:45 PM
Said it was an unfair recruiting advantage for MU, NCAA was a joke back then too....

I don't think that's why they were banned. Multiple schools had them at the time.

MUAlphaBangura
03-20-2016, 05:48 PM
I don't think that's why they were banned. Multiple schools had them at the time.

Then Why?

TheSultan
03-20-2016, 05:54 PM
Probably for the same reason that tucked jerseys are required at all levels of basketball now. (For reasons I have heard range from "so opposition doesn't grab them," to "defenders get their fingers caught up in them," to "they just look better that way.")

MUAlphaBangura
03-20-2016, 05:57 PM
Probably for the same reason that tucked jerseys are required at all levels of basketball now. (For reasons I have heard range from "so opposition doesn't grab them," to "defenders get their fingers caught up in them," to "they just look better that way.")

So, you really don't know, but you're willing to tell another poster they are wrong?????

TheSultan
03-20-2016, 06:16 PM
Settle down.

I said "I don't think that's why they were banned." Since other teams were using them when the NCAA passed the rule, how could it be a recruiting advantage?

Now if Marquette sought an exception, the NCAA may have turned them down for that reason. But it logically doesn't make sense otherwise.

MUAlphaBangura
03-20-2016, 06:25 PM
Settle down.

I said "I don't think that's why they were banned." Since other teams were using them when the NCAA passed the rule, how could it be a recruiting advantage?

Now if Marquette sought an exception, the NCAA may have turned them down for that reason. But it logically doesn't make sense otherwise.

Don't worry. I'm settled, but you still haven't given a better reason than Father Dan as to why they were banned. Yet you continue to say he is likely wrong.

TheSultan
03-20-2016, 06:30 PM
So if I make an assertion that is illogical it is nonetheless presumed to be true unless proven otherwise?

You didn't take logic at Marquette did you.

MUAlphaBangura
03-20-2016, 06:35 PM
So if I make an assertion that is illogical it is nonetheless presumed to be true unless proven otherwise?

You didn't take logic at Marquette did you.

You are correct. I didn't take logic at Marquette. This isn't about logic. It's about saying someone is wrong when you have no factual evidence that they are indeed wrong. But logic away if you want.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-20-2016, 07:11 PM
We aren't confusing the bumblebee jerseys being a competitive advantage for the psychedelic effect they had on opponents, are we?

TheSultan
03-20-2016, 10:09 PM
You are correct. I didn't take logic at Marquette. This isn't about logic. It's about saying someone is wrong when you have no factual evidence that they are indeed wrong. But logic away if you want.

There is no evidence that he is right either.

I think his explanation makes no sense so I think he is wrong.

Is that so hard to understand?

MUAlphaBangura
03-20-2016, 10:17 PM
There is no evidence that he is right either.

I think his explanation makes no sense so I think he is wrong.

Is that so hard to understand?

The easiest thing to understand is that you are the smartest guy in the room. I'll leave it at that.

TheSultan
03-20-2016, 10:19 PM
The easiest thing to understand is that you are the smartest guy in the room. I'll leave it at that.

Pretty low bar if you're in here with me.

2012Warrior
03-20-2016, 10:37 PM
Refs at every level tell you to tuck in your jerseys. I feel that's the simplest and most logical reason for it being banned. Not sure the reason for it but safety would be my best guess.

IWB
03-21-2016, 09:27 AM
I remember it the way Fr. Dan does, but I was pretty young at the time, maybe some of the others would know.

I thought the untucked were an unfair recruiting advantage (letting players design uniforms) and the bumble bees were too psychedelic and made opponents dizzy.

Gato78
03-21-2016, 09:42 AM
Both are a reflection of how much the NCAA hated Al McGuire and Marquette. No other explanation.

TheSultan
03-21-2016, 09:54 AM
Both are a reflection of how much the NCAA hated Al McGuire and Marquette. No other explanation.

So Marquette wins the national championship in 1977, Al McGuire retires, and it takes until 1984 for the NCAA to disallow untucked jerseys because they hated Al McGuire and Marquette? Seven years later?

By that time Marquette had moved onto the tiger striping jerseys. My recollection was those were tucked in by I might be thinking post 1984.

MUMac
03-21-2016, 10:00 AM
I remember it the way Fr. Dan does, but I was pretty young at the time, maybe some of the others would know.

I thought the untucked were an unfair recruiting advantage (letting players design uniforms) and the bumble bees were too psychedelic and made opponents dizzy.

Not sure about the reasons why, but other schools had untucked uniforms before they were banned. That would put into question that it was against MU. In addition, I believe MU had already gone away from the untucked for several years when it was banned. Further, they were on the downswing as a program when they were banned. I just don't think it was related to any advantage MU had.

CaribouJim
03-21-2016, 10:17 AM
So Marquette wins the national championship in 1977, Al McGuire retires, and it takes until 1984 for the NCAA to disallow untucked jerseys because they hated Al McGuire and Marquette? Seven years later?

By that time Marquette had moved onto the tiger striping jerseys. My recollection was those were tucked in by I might be thinking post 1984.

The next unis after the Championship year was in the '78-'79 season - tucked in. Bernard Toone's team. They may have been introduced right after X-Mas break as they were in '77. Doc Rivers wore that same version for at least his Freshman year and then they went back to an untucked version for a couple years - their last untucked version if I am not mistaken. I have most of the media guides going back to the 18th century so I'll try and put together a more clear timeline.

EDIT: Although those '78-'79 unis were technically a tucked version, many of the players wore them untucked - Oliver Lee and Doc come to mind.

MUMac
03-21-2016, 10:50 AM
The next unis after the Championship year was in the '78-'79 season - tucked in. Bernard Toone's team. They may have been introduced right after X-Mas break as they were in '77. Doc Rivers wore that same version for at least his Freshman year and then they went back to an untucked version for a couple years - their last untucked version if I am not mistaken. I have most of the media guides going back to the 18th century so I'll try and put together a more clear timeline.

EDIT: Although those '78-'79 unis were technically a tucked version, many of the players wore them untucked - Oliver Lee and Doc come to mind.

I only remember two untucked versions - the buttercup yellow/powder blue ones that Bo first designed. The second was the Championship year and worn the following year. After that, I thought they went back to tucked in uniforms.

CaribouJim
03-21-2016, 11:02 AM
I only remember two untucked versions - the buttercup yellow/powder blue ones that Bo first designed. The second was the Championship year and worn the following year. After that, I thought they went back to tucked in uniforms.

The last untucked version were kind of bland - Mandy Johnson pic below from the Mizzou game:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Marquette-Golden-Eagles-Basketball-Mandy-Johnson-Press-Photo-snb13149-/201058778972

TheSultan
03-21-2016, 11:04 AM
No Doc wore an untucked jersey as well. So they had to have been worn at least through 1980-81.

https://twitter.com/UniWatch/status/708339225440210945/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

According to the MUWiki, the tiger striping began in 1981. So the photo above was likely his freshman year? I mentioned earlier that I thought the tiger striped jerseys were always tucked, but I think I may have been wrong about that.

MUMac
03-21-2016, 11:05 AM
The last untucked version were kind of bland - Mandy Johnson pic below from the Mizzou game:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Marquette-Golden-Eagles-Basketball-Mandy-Johnson-Press-Photo-snb13149-/201058778972

Ha, yeah they were bland. So bland that I had forgotten about those! Maybe that is the reason why the NCAA banned them! :D

TheSultan
03-21-2016, 11:10 AM

Interesting that picture is from 1984. That's at the Arena right? They wore a blue jersey at home.

CaribouJim
03-21-2016, 11:18 AM
Interesting that picture is from 1984. That's at the Arena right? They wore a blue jersey at home.

Nope - NCAA game - close game that MU lost - can't remember where the game was played.

CaribouJim
03-21-2016, 11:38 AM
No Doc wore an untucked jersey as well. So they had to have been worn at least through 1980-81.

https://twitter.com/UniWatch/status/708339225440210945/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

According to the MUWiki, the tiger striping began in 1981. So the photo above was likely his freshman year? I mentioned earlier that I thought the tiger striped jerseys were always tucked, but I think I may have been wrong about that.

The tiger striped, tucked in started during '78 - '79 season with Bernard Toone - but pretty sure they were introduced after X-Mas break - see the cover of the Media Guide for the '79-'80 season with pics from the - '78 - '79 season.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361404114720?rmvSB=true

EDIT - these unis were still in play for Doc's freshman year - at least part of it - and he rarely tucked his in. Maybe it can be seen from his ND shot his freshmen year.

IWB
03-21-2016, 11:41 AM
Not sure about the reasons why, but other schools had untucked uniforms before they were banned. That would put into question that it was against MU. In addition, I believe MU had already gone away from the untucked for several years when it was banned. Further, they were on the downswing as a program when they were banned. I just don't think it was related to any advantage MU had.

From what I remember, it had more to do with letting players design the uniforms than the actual style of uniform. Didn't want MU out there promising "If you come to Marquette, you can design our new uniforms". That was the unfair advantage. I can see if Bo knows.

CaribouJim
03-21-2016, 11:50 AM
The tiger striped, tucked in started during '78 - '79 season with Bernard Toone - but pretty sure they were introduced after X-Mas break - see the cover of the Media Guide for the '79-'80 season with pics from the - '78 - '79 season.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361404114720?rmvSB=true

EDIT - these unis were still in play for Doc's freshman year - at least part of it - and he rarely tucked his in. Maybe it can be seen from his ND shot his freshmen year.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/doc-rivers-of-the-marquette-university-golden-eagles-goes-news-photo/74849320

Doc with Tiger Stripes, tucked in.

TheSultan
03-21-2016, 12:40 PM
Nope - NCAA game - close game that MU lost - can't remember where the game was played.

Thanks. 1982 in Tulsa. Second round.

CaribouJim
03-21-2016, 12:51 PM
Thanks. 1982 in Tulsa. Second round.

Got it - entertaining game. Mandy Johnson was an underrated PG IMO. His driving and dishing reminded me of Lloyd Walton.