PDA

View Full Version : UWM fires Rob Jeter - Press Release

IWB
03-17-2016, 10:30 AM
Milwaukee Announces Jeter Will Not Return As Men’s Basketball Coach

Panthers to begin national search for new coach immediately

MILWAUKEE (March 17, 2016) - Milwaukee Director of Athletics, Amanda Braun announced today that Rob Jeter will not return as the Panthers’ Head Men’s Basketball Coach.

“Rob has always put the interests of our student-athletes first and has represented our program and the university with class over the last 11 years. I thank him and his staff for their contributions,” Braun said. “After a thorough review, I have decided that a change in leadership of our men’s basketball program is needed to help us achieve our goal of consistently being a top program in the Horizon League.”

Jeter compiled a 185-170 overall record in eleven seasons at the helm. The Panthers finished third or higher in the Horizon League regular season standings twice in the last ten seasons and have not accomplished the feat since 2011-12.

“As we begin the process of searching for a new head coach, we will identify candidates who believe in our mission, possess high character and integrity and have a proven track record of continued success,” Braun said.

A national search will begin immediately for Milwaukee’s next head men’s basketball coach.

TheSultan
03-17-2016, 10:32 AM
Otzelberger?

Goose85
03-17-2016, 11:14 AM
Otzelberger?

Would be a great choice. Don't have confidence in the AD to make the right choice.

The Reptile
03-17-2016, 12:31 PM
Would be a great choice. Don't have confidence in the AD to make the right choice.

Maybe. It shouldn't take long to see if this was for competitive reasons or to simply cut cost.

Markedman
03-17-2016, 07:52 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/panthers/jeter-didnt-deserve-ugly-ending-at-uwm-b99689757z1-372494571.html?ipad=y

IWB
03-18-2016, 08:37 AM
Great story by Gary D.
She wasn't there when UWM beat Wisconsin? She never congratulated them after winning pre-season tourney? Their number 1 booster cancelled his season tickets?

Does this sound familiar? It should.

She needs to go NOW! Forget the Jeter situation, it's over, but the quotes by Nicholas?

Wow.

Goose85
03-18-2016, 09:06 AM
She does need to go, you can't alienate your top donors.
This guy was ready to fund anything - foreign trip, post season trip, etc. I'm sure when money was needed he was the guy that kicked it in, and likely more than reported.

We know Williams and Pilarz didn't like Buzz, but Larry was at the road games right behind the bench.

Beating Wisconsin was huge, and the AD isn't there - wow.

Heard on the radio this morning that in Jeter's 11 years as coach he had 6 different ADs. That is crazy.

TheSultan
03-18-2016, 11:19 AM
Pointed out on Scoop that Lovell hired three of the six.

Costello when Lovell was interim, Geiger and Braun.

ziggysfryboy
03-18-2016, 09:20 PM
She's worried about the perception of a donor funded international trip, but not the perception of paying 2 coaches next year?

MU/Panther
03-18-2016, 09:25 PM
Phyllis King pulled her weight over Lovell to get Amanda Braun hired.

TheSultan
03-18-2016, 09:39 PM
What wait does Phyllis King have? She's the Vice Provost. How could she possibly have had more influence than the chancellor?

MU/Panther
03-18-2016, 10:57 PM
What wait does Phyllis King have? She's the Vice Provost. How could she possibly have had more influence than the chancellor?
Good question, nobody three years ago who are friends with Jeter gave me an answer.

MayorBeluga
03-19-2016, 08:06 AM
Doesn't exactly speak well of Lovell

unclejohn
03-19-2016, 12:06 PM
Doesn't exactly speak well of Lovell

No, but he came in and hired an AD for a department that was already a complete mess. He did fine in hiring Marquette's AD.

MayorBeluga
03-19-2016, 12:52 PM
No, but he came in and hired an AD for a department that was already a complete mess. He did fine in hiring Marquette's AD.

How can you say that yet? The AD seems like a decent guy but I have no idea whether it's a good hire yet. If he's repaired relations with Strong and other big donors, then that's a positive. If his coaching hires turn out to be good, then he's a very good AD. Honestly, I have no way of knowing right now whether it was a good hire. I certainly hope so though.

unclejohn
03-19-2016, 01:22 PM
He has come highly recommended and seems to have good relations with everyone. A good indication that an AD is doing his or her job is when you do not hear about it.

TheSultan
03-19-2016, 02:57 PM
A better indication is if they start winning.