PDA

View Full Version : A Little Number-Crunching

Phantom Warrior
03-17-2016, 12:03 AM
Henry averaged 35 mpg in BE games (not including his 48-minute stint in the double overtime game against Providence).

Luke averaged a tad over 27 mpg in BE games.

Very, very seldom were both out of the game at the same time.

So basically for roughly 18 mpg we were missing either Luke or Henry.

Matt averaged about 5 mpg in the BE games he appeared in, but he did not play in the last half dozen games or so, and even before his injury he did not play at all in three conference games.

In other words, when Matt did play in league games, we averaged roughly 13 mpg - or basically one third of the game - with either Sandy or Wally or JJ playing the 4, and when Matt did not, or was not able to, play, we went nearly half of the game (18 minutes on average) with Sandy, Wally, or JJ at the 4. Sandy is listed as 6'6", but my guess is that's a stretch (literally and figuratively). JJ is listed as 6'5". Wally is listed as 6'6".

People can draw their own conclusions.

Nukem2
03-17-2016, 08:03 AM
That was rather obvious as Luke had a lot of foul trouble. As a result, only one of the two was on court quite often. That resulted in small lineups. No need for stats here. Points out the need for size!

TheSultan
03-17-2016, 08:23 AM
There were games, Butler at home for instance, where we performed better with a smaller lineup. (My recollection was that Luke was in foul trouble that day.) Of course Henry going 30+ probably had a lot to do with our success.

Nukem2
03-17-2016, 09:06 AM
There were games, Butler at home for instance, where we performed better with a smaller lineup. (My recollection was that Luke was in foul trouble that day.) Of course Henry going 30+ probably had a lot to do with our success.
Depending upon matchups, MU did sometimes play better with a small li8neup (usually with Henry at center ).

Goose85
03-17-2016, 09:28 AM
It is one thing to at times play well with a smaller lineup, it is another to have to play a smaller lineup in every game no matter the matchup.

As we stand now it looks like either Cohen or JJ playing the power forward position, with either Luke and Heldt playing the center.

I really am not sure if having a 6'11" Henry (who may have been the tallest player on the court) along with a couple of 6'5"ish players on the court is a small lineup.
Now Lazar or Jae as the centers, that is a small lineup.

Nukem2
03-17-2016, 09:36 AM
It is one thing to at times play well with a smaller lineup, it is another to have to play a smaller lineup in every game no matter the matchup. Agreed as noted earlier here.

As we stand now it looks like either Cohen or JJ playing the power forward position, with either Luke and Heldt playing the center.

I really am not sure if having a 6'11" Henry (who may have been the tallest player on the court) along with a couple of 6'5"ish players on the court is a small lineup. Smaller than Henry & Luke.
Now Lazar or Jae as the centers, that is a small lineup.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
03-17-2016, 10:39 AM
We have a need for size, and I think the recruiting shows the staff knows it. Other than Howard, most of our serious targets are big men for next year (Fernando and Young) while the 2017 recruiting, outside of a small handful of players, is almost all bigs. We need bigs. We know it, the staff knows it, not sure what can be done until some guys start saying yes.

Goose85
03-17-2016, 11:16 AM
We have a need for size, and I think the recruiting shows the staff knows it. Other than Howard, most of our serious targets are big men for next year (Fernando and Young) while the 2017 recruiting, outside of a small handful of players, is almost all bigs. We need bigs. We know it, the staff knows it, not sure what can be done until some guys start saying yes.

I agree. Just preparing myself for the possibility we don't get a yes.